2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (Animisha, anamnesis, Abdol, 8ude, Adem, Alex C, 80k, Andre R., 16 invisible), 824 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
K
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Talking about jumps and stride I think you need to see this guy. I verify that it's his real playing speed, the playback speed was not changed in any way. The stride begins at 0:53.

That sounds quite horrible. It's hard to tell how technically difficult the passage is because it's not clear if he's playing single notes or octaves in the bass and how many notes are in the chords in the mid range. But I don't that matters because it's such ugly sounding playing. Tatum's LH stride playing was light years beyond what's shown in that video both technically and musically.

So how about this guy, Bram Wijnands, real present day stride expert.

It brings a big smile on my face, and wants me to quit piano. I think the key is to be relaxed; just let the fingers fly and keep smiling :-) Yeah, I know, I am of no help here, sorry.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Kepijapa

It brings a big smile on my face, and wants me to quit piano. I think the key is to be relaxed; just let the fingers fly and keep smiling :-) Yeah, I know, I am of no help here, sorry.
He is really good but it's "only" 140 bpm with short jumps. Not enough. laugh

D
D
Originally Posted by JohnnyIssieBangie
Originally Posted by GreenCheck
I am an early beginner (about 1.5 months of self study)

Perhaps my most fundamental question is this: should I be thinking of jumps in terms of how far I need to move my hands, or in terms of the absolute location of the key I will strike? That is, say I'm moving from C4 to C3 - should I be be trying to mentally encode "this is what it feels like to move my hand down an octave" (this is how I've been thinking about it), or should I be thinking "this is where the C3 key is on the keyboard"?

1.5 months of study... there is nothing wrong with being aware of the things you're thinking of - but if that is your most fundamental question, then you're overthinking it, and you're misguided.

At this point you should be following a syllabus of some sort which will put your focus where it should be, which is playing actual beginner pieces (which do not involve jumps), rhythms, scales and maybe for you some Czerny. Avoid Hanon for now; all you'll get there are bad habits.
And if you're very proactive lots and lots of theory.

If you're doing jumps, then I'll venture a guess that you're already turning into a Beethoven / Chopin drone. Playing nonsense like Fur Elize, the Moonlight Sontate and Etude's. It's a disease. Spend enough time on forums like this and you'll find lots of talk in the beginner forum by muppets flexing their muscles. It doesn't matter why, there are idiots everywhere.
In fact, the minute you read anything to do with Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Chopin etc.... just ignore the post, log off and go back to what you should be doing. The stuff I've already mentioned.
It's is extremely frustrating, yes I know.
It will get much much more frustrating and unless you start slow you will get nowhere, and give up.
Whether you say you can, or say you can't either way you're right. Ford.

Great commentary, thanks for your input.

I've been playing for well over 5 decades, and it's been my observation these days that much of the younger generation thinks all that's required to learn to play the piano is an XBOX console and a video game that you just play and play until you conquer a level and go on to the next, or if they're older all they have to do is simply watch 10,000 YouBoob videos on the piano - and they'll be Wang Wang in 6 months. Reality check: the piano is an immensely complicated musical instrument that requires the student to possess excellent hand/eye coordination, along with good stamina, and there must be dedication through much practice before any notable degree of skill can be learned...if at all.

And the OP is talking jumps at the 1.5 month mark, of "self study"? Honestly. This business of "jumping ahead" of one's skills can only lead to one thing...disappointment. If a person is not willing to take the required steps/prerequisites to learn to play the piano correctly, they might as well stop now because they're only kidding themselves wasting their time and money.

1979 Yamaha C7D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
I know what pracice technique ranjit is talking about as this is how my teacher showed me to practice jumps - you play, jump, and prepare the next chord without playing it, then play and prepare the next one, etc. Unfortunately, it has certain limitations at a faster tempo.
It is something that is done when you start learning the jumps. But otherwise the jump is done in one single mouvement and you form the shape of the hand while doing the mouvement, the fast or slow tempo has no role. If you can do it in fast tempos, you can also do it in slow ones obviously, even better. The voicing of the chord is something you work out before hand.
The point is to prepare mentally for the next chord and move there without hesitation. In a piece with lots of chords in sequence this serves to solidify the piece.
There's a big difference between preparing mentally and moving to the chord, pausing there, and then playing it which seems more like some kind of physical preparation. I think the second approach is almost always awkward and rarely done by advanced pianists even if the tempo is slow. For fast tempos I think it's clearly not even possible. It might be a reasonable practice technique for beginners.
I think you are misunderstanding what I meant. The mental preparation that I'm talking about is preparing for the next chord that will be played not the one you just jumped to. So, let's say you have a sequence of chords A, B, C, etc. and you have to jump between them. You play A then jump quickly to B but don't play it yet, but in your mind you have C as the next chord to be played, and then you play B and quickly jump to C, etc. I mentioned it in the context of jumping but it's just as good for other kinds of quick position shifts.

And I disagree that only for beginners. I saw both Josh Wright and Graham Fitch demonstrate this technique and it wasn't in beginner pieces. IIRC one of them was Mendelssohn's Rondo Capriccioso.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Talking about jumps and stride I think you need to see this guy. I verify that it's his real playing speed, the playback speed was not changed in any way. The stride begins at 0:53.

That sounds quite horrible. It's hard to tell how technically difficult the passage is because it's not clear if he's playing single notes or octaves in the bass and how many notes are in the chords in the mid range. But I don't that matters because it's such ugly sounding playing. Tatum's LH stride playing was light years beyond what's shown in that video both technically and musically.

The elements that make for difficult stride are:
high speed
octaves/tenths/filled in tenths followed by big chords on the jump
long jumps.

It seems like this pianist isn't doing much or any of that. He's kind of a beginner compared to pianists like Tatum, Waller,James P. Johnson, Wellstood, etc. Here's an example of one of Wellstood's "easy"(compared to other examples of his playing) performances which is still far more difficult than the one you posted:

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by DrewBone

I've been playing for well over 5 decades, and it's been my observation these days that much of the younger generation thinks all that's required to learn to play the piano is an XBOX console and a video game that you just play and play until you conquer a level and go on to the next, or if they're older all they have to do is simply watch 10,000 YouBoob videos on the piano - and they'll be Wang Wang in 6 months. Reality check: the piano is an immensely complicated musical instrument that requires the student to possess excellent hand/eye coordination, along with good stamina, and there must be dedication through much practice before any notable degree of skill can be learned...if at all.

And the OP is talking jumps at the 1.5 month mark, of "self study"? Honestly. This business of "jumping ahead" of one's skills can only lead to one thing...disappointment. If a person is not willing to take the required steps/prerequisites to learn to play the piano correctly, they might as well stop now because they're only kidding themselves wasting their time and money.

As I mentioned earlier, here is the piece I am talking about:

[img]https://imgur.com/a/RLUhICA[/img]

The other piece that is giving me trouble in this regard is on page 51 of Book 1 of Alfred's All-in-One Adult Piano Course.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C

The other piece that is giving me trouble in this regard is on page 51 of Book 1 of Alfred's All-in-One Adult Piano Course.
and just in case you missed my post the piece in question doesn't require any jumps. Please post the Alfred piece if you'd like further advice.

never taught a child who had poor technique, just poor practice
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us

and just in case you missed my post the piece in question doesn't require any jumps. Please post the Alfred piece if you'd like further advice.

Thank you chopin. I did see that post and it was helpful. I have been trying out your suggestion. Regarding the Alfred piece, it requires playing 8 measures, and then repeating them with the left hand 1 octave lower. Based on feedback I've received in this thread, I think I am going to simply take a quick glance down at the keys at that point, forgetting the notion that looking down at the keys is always and everywhere a cardinal sin.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
If you've memorized something you look at the keys more or less 100% of the time. What else is there to look at? When I'm sight reading I'm 100% on the sheet, practicing a piece 100% on the hands/keys.

never taught a child who had poor technique, just poor practice
R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by DrewBone
Originally Posted by JohnnyIssieBangie
I am an early beginner (about 1.5 months of self study)

Perhaps my most fundamental question is this: should I be thinking of jumps in terms of how far I need to move my hands, or in terms of the absolute location of the key I will strike? That is, say I'm moving from C4 to C3 - should I be be trying to mentally encode "this is what it feels like to move my hand down an octave" (this is how I've been thinking about it), or should I be thinking "this is where the C3 key is on the keyboard"?

1.5 months of study... there is nothing wrong with being aware of the things you're thinking of - but if that is your most fundamental question, then you're overthinking it, and you're misguided.

At this point you should be following a syllabus of some sort which will put your focus where it should be, which is playing actual beginner pieces (which do not involve jumps), rhythms, scales and maybe for you some Czerny. Avoid Hanon for now; all you'll get there are bad habits.
And if you're very proactive lots and lots of theory.

If you're doing jumps, then I'll venture a guess that you're already turning into a Beethoven / Chopin drone. Playing nonsense like Fur Elize, the Moonlight Sontate and Etude's. It's a disease. Spend enough time on forums like this and you'll find lots of talk in the beginner forum by muppets flexing their muscles. It doesn't matter why, there are idiots everywhere.
In fact, the minute you read anything to do with Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Chopin etc.... just ignore the post, log off and go back to what you should be doing. The stuff I've already mentioned.
It's is extremely frustrating, yes I know.
It will get much much more frustrating and unless you start slow you will get nowhere, and give up.
Whether you say you can, or say you can't either way you're right. Ford.

You're misunderstanding the OP. They were actually talking about small shifts in hand position in an early beginner piece and are not trying something difficult. The rest of the discussion was started by the other members.

Plus, I really dislike all of this hate against students who are ambitious at the piano. I was trying to play without looking at the keys after 1 month. I was also able to coordinate left hand jumps (lh octave + chord two octaves above) along with a melody in one hand position after about 1-2 months. I still think jumps are one of my strengths, I can play for example the jumps in Jarrod Radnich's Pirates of the Caribbean pretty confidently now. If I had taken seriously the amazing advice of players such as yourself, I would have never challenged myself and would probably still be an intermediate player. smh

K
K

high speed
long jumps.

It seems like this pianist isn't doing much or any of that. He's kind of a beginner compared to pianists like Tatum, Waller,James P. Johnson, Wellstood, etc. Here's an example of one of Wellstood's "easy"(compared to other examples of his playing) performances which is still far more difficult than the one you posted:

Haha, not going to give up that easy. Here you can see him from behind, see his hands. I know, easy stuff, sure. Don't know if the jumps are big enough for you, but the speed is certainly there.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
... Based on feedback I've received in this thread, I think I am going to simply take a quick glance down at the keys at that point, forgetting the notion that looking down at the keys is always and everywhere a cardinal sin.

If you play 100% from memory, you can look anywhere you please--at your hands, at the ceiling, at the cat, etc. If you have a score in front of you, it's fine to glance down occasionally. Being able to glance down and find your way back to the score is a valuable skill to learn and will serve you well throughout your piano life. It is also possible, under some circumstances; to use your peripheral vision to help with a jump or other difficulty. For example, witlh many uprights and digitals, the music desk is lower (closer to the keyboard) and you can use your peripheral vision.

For relatively small intervals, becoming at ease with the geography (proprioception) of the keyboard is a must--some people may have it immediately; for others it comes with time and practice.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Online Content

high speed
long jumps.

Haha, not going to give up that easy. Here you can see him from behind, see his hands. I know, easy stuff, sure. Don't know if the jumps are big enough for you, but the speed is certainly there.

[/quote]The general distance of the jumps is FAR less than in the Wellstood video which makes them MUCH easier even at a fast speed.

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
R
When I think of fast left hand jumps, I think Cziffra. He had God's own left hand lol.

(At 1:29)

And I have never seen anyone else perform his Tritsch Tratsch Polka jumps at tempo with that kind of articulation.

(At 2:56)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music theory - Key identification
by Animisha - 07/06/22 11:21 AM
Yamaha P-125 String Resonance
by Petzold - 07/06/22 09:50 AM
Piano saver system? does everyone use this?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/06/22 09:00 AM
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,828
Posts3,205,830
Members105,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission