2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (An Old Square, Baltguy, Andrew E., Animisha, anotherscott, bimzdbear, 15 invisible), 514 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
I have to go to the supermarket this morning......

I just got home from the grocery, and grabbed a tin of sardines just out of curiosity. Asked my girls if they want to try it with me, and they both just looked at me oddly. TBH, I'm not sure I want to try them either. wink

We eat salmon pretty regularly, about once a week. Also sushi, and I like tuna and salmon that way too.

I was just looking up what sorts of fish are high in Omega 3 fatty oils, and see trout. Man, when I lived in Switzerland we ate so much trout that I reached the point that I really didn't want it anymore. The office cafeteria served it on Fridays and usually one other random day each week. Swiss lakes are full of trout.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
I've lost over 50 lbs.

Congrats! That's awesome. thumb

How to Upload Pictures

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sgisela
fresh grilled sardines are a totally different kettle of fish (sorry, couldn’t resist)

Good one! thumb

When I was reading earlier, one site mentioned having to gut the fresh ones. I don't really want to clean a bunch of little fish (frankly, I don't want to clean any fish).

Can you get fresh ones that have been gutted already?

How to Upload Pictures

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I don't know if you can get fresh gutted sardines but if you buy them frozen they can be had gutted and you can even get fillets. Is this Piano World or Good Housekeeping?

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
When I was reading earlier, one site mentioned having to gut the fresh ones. I don't really want to clean a bunch of little fish (frankly, I don't want to clean any fish).

If you buy them from a fishmonger, you can ask them to gut the sardines for you. It’s not hard to do it yourself… just takes a little time.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Sgisela
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

If you buy them from a fishmonger, you can ask them to gut the sardines for you. It’s not hard to do it yourself… just takes a little time.
:

And after you have practiced on sardines you can move on to anchovies which are even smaller :-)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do anchovies have enough Omega3? I have been taking a bigger spoon of fish oil.It is high in Omega3(lemon flavoured) and I think being a liquid it is more likely to be absorbed.The down side to the liquid is that the "goodies" deteriorate in the bottle as time goes by.No doubt 3/4 way down the bottle you get much less Omega3.

I have not decided yet whether to play the Tchaikovsky no 1 or
the Rach3 😃

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
The tin of sardines has caught my eye several times today... wink

So, it occurred to me that MD's can now respond differently to the old "will I be able to play the piano" (after my surgery) joke: "do you consume a tine of sardines daily?"

How to Upload Pictures

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wonder if my hand stretch will increase if I go on the daily tin.I could do with that especially when I perform those concertos No more rolling the chords or leaving out notes..

Perhaps I should lower my dosage of the fish oil..?
🤔

Online Content
I hope ZeroZero comes back to the thread. I agree with Rickster that a little good-natured laughter is good for all of us.

I think this is really interesting and my wife and I are going to try this. She is a beginning violinist and I'm an intermediate pianist, both in our 60s. She has noticed that she feels her thinking is clearer since she added a little fat to her otherwise very low fat diet recently. Makes sense as neurons are largely lipids. We know, for example, that medications that are fat soluble get into the brain much more efficiently than water-soluble ones.

Steve W
Omaha, NE
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by tre corda
Do anchovies have enough Omega3? I have been taking a bigger spoon of fish oil.It is high in Omega3(lemon flavoured) and I think being a liquid it is more likely to be absorbed.The down side to the liquid is that the "goodies" deteriorate in the bottle as time goes by.No doubt 3/4 way down the bottle you get much less Omega3.

I have not decided yet whether to play the Tchaikovsky no 1 or
the Rach3 😃

Apparently anchovies canned in oil contain about 2 grams of omega-3s, while sardines have about 1.6 grams of omega-3s. Against that they are a lot saltier so not so suitable if you are watching your sodium intake.

That said I only suggested anchovies because of the obvious difficulty and dexterity required to gut them :-)

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I hate the smell and taste of sardines and I also hate eating something that stares back at me. I’ve been using Omega 3 tabs for years for cardiovascular health. Fish has been considered a brain food for years.

We can’t overlook the fact that the placebo effect may be what’s really improving the OPs piano skills.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I give the OP kudos for realizing his results represent an N = 1 and that more data points are needed.

I have tried the fish oil capsules in the past but never got into the habit of taking them, resulting in a large bottle still three-quarters full and the omegas having likely degraded over time, such that who knows how much you'd get when you took one.

The omegas may be good for the brain, but the humor is good for the soul. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Just a thought,

Since my daughter just married a man from the Netherlands, it naturally occurred to me that herring might also have a positive effect. (That may have occurred to me anyway, but since I have just spent time with a number of Dutchmen, it is "top of mind".)

I also like herring. thumb

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[quote=j&j]I hate the smell and taste of sardines and I also hate eating something that stares back at me.

I also am a bit squeamish about eating a whole tin.The last time I had sardines must have been months ago and it was not the whole tin.I have never noticed that that tinned sardines still have heads with little eyes looking at me though...I think I am developing a phobia about opening the next tin.The smell is something I had to deliberately overcome before I started eating them.Eating a whole tin a day every day is not something I could do.There is no way I think a person would not stink like sardines if you did this.

I am sorry wonderful little fish for insulting you, it's causation is this thread which probably belongs in a medical forum. Occassional sardines are fine but not every day nor every other day.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
The last time I had sardines must have been months ago and it was not the whole tin.I have never noticed that that tinned sardines still have heads with little eyes looking at me though...

I don't think canned sardines have heads on anymore, at least not the ones I have bought. Admittedly, it has been quite some time since I bought canned sardines. BUT - I am buying a few cans this evening and will eat them for a few days, at least. I will confirm or deny. I might even post a photo. smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
On occasion, some threads on the PW piano forum can take some strange and unusual directions, I suppose. But it does make things interesting.

Thing is, ZeroZero's thread did start out somewhat piano related, or at least indirectly related. And, as mentioned, does have merit, or something to think about.

I suppose we have to keep in mind that this community is not just about pianos, but it also about people. And, as people, we do like to share things we think might help someone else.

I remember years ago, when I started exercising regularly (still do) and watching my diet, and, working out with weights, I mentioned in a thread once that I thought my life change, which included the diet and exercise regimen, had helped me to become a better piano player. I could probably dig up that thread, but there is no need. It is somewhat similar to the premise of this thread, in a way.

Anyway, I remember posting a picture of my bicep muscles (which had gotten bigger than ever). Not sure why I did that, but I did. I was proud of my newfound "body builder" look, and wanted to share it? Not sure.

However, someone mentioned in the thread they thought my picture of my biceps were photo-shopped (altered in some way). I was a little offended, to be honest, because the pic was not photoshopped. I had some nice biceps and was proud of them. smile

Did that make me a better piano player? Maybe not, but it made me feel better about myself, which, in turn, could have made me feel better about my piano playing.

I see a similar correlation here, between the dieting and exercising, and consuming the Omega-3 rich sardines.

Oh, and I would post that pic of me with my big biceps (which have since deflated a good bit smile ) but I won't.

It may all be a placebo effect, to some extent, I'm not sure. But I think any improvement I've experienced at the piano was due to strong desire, goal and motivation to improve, and a lot of practicing/playing the piano.

Also, I believe our physical, mental and spiritual health does indeed impact every aspect of our lives, including our piano playing.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
V
V
For anchovies you need only to pick the head and then pull it over the belly and the whole spine and belly content are removed at once. This is a very fast move and you can clean easily a dozens of fresh anchovies in no time to make a nice salad using Myers lemon. Eaten fresh they have more vitamins and as as much as Omega 3 compared to canned sardines. Fishy fingers can be easily cleaned with alcohol before paying the piano.

VuongMinh Duc
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
The last time I had sardines must have been months ago and it was not the whole tin.I have never noticed that that tinned sardines still have heads with little eyes looking at me though...

I don't think canned sardines have heads on anymore, at least not the ones I have bought. Admittedly, it has been quite some time since I bought canned sardines. BUT - I am buying a few cans this evening and will eat them for a few days, at least. I will confirm or deny. I might even post a photo. smile

I was remembering sardine cans from a long time ago. Even if the sardines don’t have heads, I still can’t get past the taste or smell. I can eat anchovies on pizza and readily eat cooked seafood.

So I’m also aware of the commercials for Prevagen as a memory enhancer, which includes some substance from jellyfish.

Last edited by j&j; 11/30/21 06:30 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by guyl
It's a fact: eat fish and your scales will improve!

Very Clever.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy birthday, Sam!
by jotur - 01/18/22 06:11 AM
Book Recommendations
by Qazsedcft - 01/18/22 03:53 AM
Novus 5 no "fading effect" after release
by Usheraname - 01/18/22 02:38 AM
Digital pianos - starting time
by JosefPirkl - 01/18/22 01:30 AM
Most "Important" Chopin Collection
by 13bwl - 01/18/22 01:26 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,201
Posts3,161,720
Members104,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission