2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
100 members (anotherscott, Adagiette, Animisha, Baltguy, accordeur, AWilley, An Old Square, AOMMY, 23 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 508 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
NXR Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The bench that came with my Kawai CA99 (satin black (matte)) has a 2" storage area but does not have a height adjustment. I'd like to get another 1" to 2" of height without replacing the bench since it matches the piano finish and the replacements I've seen only have about 1" of storage. I've found some bed leg "extenders" but they all are much larger than the 1.25" x 1.25" bench leg size.

Has anybody come up with a good way to do this? I've thought about adding furniture levelers like these: https://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Leveling-Adjustable-Levelers-Cabinets/dp/B09BN4NWBF/ref=sr_1_53?keywords=furniture%2Bleveler&qid=1638301934&sr=8-53&th=1

But I'd really like to not risk drilling the bench legs.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
M
M
I contacted the company I bought mine from and they had different length legs I could buy and swap in. They said they get those calls all the time. No trade-ins, but it was worth it. A Kawai dealer may help.

Last edited by macuaig; 11/30/21 03:07 PM.

Adult Beginner: Yamaha P115 Piano, Guitars, Tin Whistles
Long Gone: Trumpet, Baroque Recorders
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Way back when, I searched around for ways to increase height with some kind of leg extenders for a bench I had (that matched a sunburst brown Petrof upright I had, very pretty but impossible to match in a different bench).

Ultimately, I gave up because the things I was finding seemed like they would not be safe. Like the extenders used for beds would be at risk of a wobble when you move, and would be hard to deal with when moving the bench in and out from under the keyboard.

I ultimately settled on a thick towel folded carefully to add height that way. When I got my current piano, I then bought a cheap adjustable bench that was basically like throwing money in the toilet, and eventually a much better adjustable bench.

So, having said all that, two questions: 1) are you absolutely certain you can't find a bench with a satin finish that will match? And 2) do you really need the storage under the bench?

When I was bench shopping, there were lots of styles and finishes to choose from, including satin. And if you weren't concerned about the storage, you'd have even more options.

I recommend you take a look at the options sold from CPS Imports https://cpsimports.com , and also Jansen Piano Benches: https://jansenpianobenches.com/

If you have the budget, consider a true Jansen Artist Bench. If you don't have the budget, the import options are quite nice. I ended up buying from Jansen Piano Benches bc CPS Imports was backed ordered. The one I got was an import, around $360?? I don't remember exactly at this point.

One last option would be to contact a furniture maker or woodworker and see what they could do for your current bench.

Good luck!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If you're halfway handy with wood it would be easy to raise the seat by increasing the depth of the storage compartment from 2" to 4". If you pop off the hinges, rip some 1x material that's 2" wide and paint it black. Use dowels or maybe just adhesive to add it to the top of the storage compartment. Then put the seat hinges back on. That would be just as safe and stable as the original bench.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
G
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
G
How about a good cushion on top?

N
NXR Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the ideas and links, folks.

My wife says I definitely need storage in the seat. smile

I can barely get a campfire started and that is the close to tge extent of my woodworking skills.

A thicker cushion actually would work. My OnStage portable has a 2" thick seat and that's about how much I need.

The simplest option may be to find some longer legs and paint them flat black to see how they look. The selling dealer said that Kawai has either a fixed bench with storage or an adjustable without storage.

Thanks again,

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Storage in benches is a bad idea. Many benches have been destroyed by having too much stuff in a storage compartment, and even without overfilling, the bottom usually does not have enough rigidity to keep the bench square.

Last edited by BDB; 12/03/21 01:27 AM.

Semipro Tech
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I don't know about other marques, but Jansen does offer legs in different lengths. It's been several years since I ordered mine, but it was around $100 for the set. Your tech, or the store where you bought your piano, can help you place the order.

Clef

N
NXR Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
I don't know about other marques, but Jansen does offer legs in different lengths. It's been several years since I ordered mine, but it was around $100 for the set. Your tech, or the store where you bought your piano, can help you place the order.

Looks like it's now $196 for a set of four. Plus the bench. smile

And they do not say what "Longer" or "Shorter" means. Sometimes I really wonder what the heck people are thinking when they do things like this. Or maybe most people don't care?

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NXR
And they do not say what "Longer" or "Shorter" means. Sometimes I really wonder what the heck people are thinking when they do things like this. Or maybe most people don't care?

Good grief, that's horrible! When I was bench shopping, I knew to the 5/8 of an inch the height I wanted! And I ruled out a few options that were not quite tall enough.

So yeah, if someone is considering swapping out bench legs, they need to know the exact height!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
time signatures - every day (non musical) life example?
by ShowerCurtain465 - 01/23/22 12:04 PM
One sour bass note
by benz-tech - 01/23/22 11:04 AM
Playground sessions bluetooth or midi cable?
by Ravanelli - 01/23/22 10:17 AM
Care and Maintenance for Digital Piano with Solid Wood
by paulamaula - 01/22/22 07:19 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,313
Posts3,163,352
Members104,129
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission