2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TBell Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello all:

I have a 2 year old Baldwin BP 190 that gets maybe 2-3 hours practice per day and whose tone has gotten a tone a bit hollow and percussive. Is there anything that can be done to improve the sound to be more rounded and sustaining? It has always been a bit percussive\hollow but seems to be getting worse.

It has Abel hammers (per Baldwin's specs). I'm not sure if voicing or even looking into different hammers (though extreme) is something I should explore.

Here is a short video\audio: Piano Video

Thank you.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Voicing would help. Needling the sides of the hammers would be an improvement, but the hammers should be shaped properly and fitted to the strings as well.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
maybe the hammer has shifted in side. whereas it must to kick 3 strings at the same time always.
Significant grooves may have formed on the head of the hammer. It's need to be sanded using a nail file or sandpaper there,
regards,

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
It’s hard to tell anything from the video. The room acoustics don’t seem great though, as if it’s a small, carpeted room that doesn’t have any resonance.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by TBell
I have a 2 year old Baldwin BP 190 that .. has always been a bit percussive\hollow but seems to be getting worse.

Might it need regulating as well as voicing?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm with Scott-- I can't tell much from the video. At first blush, the tone sounds acceptable and the piano in a decent state of tuning. There is a slight immediacy or sharpness to the attack sound.

Has the piano had any regulating or voicing work done since it was delivered to you, 2 years ago? Start with the simple stuff...particularly if you liked the sound of the piano when it was new.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
P
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
P
I hear a somewhat "nasal" sound. If I were attending to it, I would treat the hammers with a mixture that has been discussed here quite a bit and see what happens. Treatment can include both strike area as well as lower shoulders.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
TBell Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Cole, RPT
It’s hard to tell anything from the video. The room acoustics don’t seem great though, as if it’s a small, carpeted room that doesn’t have any resonance.
Yes it sounds that way, but the room, which is mostly hard surfaces, is about 600 sq ft or so. I've done several things to treat the room thinking it would help at least in recording, but it has done little. The mics are about 20" from the rim, but not much resonance. I may move the piano to a different spot in the room, where it can be pointed diagonally into the room.

I will have my tech look at reshaping, fitting and voicing the hammers. I did the All fabric softener\alcohol treatment a couple of weeks ago and it sounds better, but still has a way to go.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The best long term solution is to replace the hammers with Ronsen Weikart felt

P
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
P
How much wear is on these hammers? (E.g. strike point width).

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
In addition to the other comments, almost certainly the strings need to be leveled at the strike point.
If the piano wasn't properly prepped (most dealers really don't have the capability) it has probably never given all the tone it is capable of. After 2 years, well, it certainly doesn't get better.

For myself (and I'm sure some of the other respondents), 1-4 hours of TLC could produce profound results.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
TBell Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks. Here is a different recording on a different device - handheld Tascam unit. Almost sounds like a banjo-piano cross breed (kidding).
Recording

And here is a picture of the hammers around middle C. Do you think I should get them sanded down?
Hammer Grooves Picture

The hammers are quite hard, even after the All\alcohol treatment. Only two years old but gets 2-3 hours daily of practice. The hammers are probably not the best and I'm not opposed to getting improved ones. Maybe I should invest 3-4 hours of a tech's time to try to improve the existing ones first.

B
BDB Offline
B
You have enough advice. Your task now is to find someone who can work on your piano to improve it. That will not be easy.

Semipro Tech
V
V
Thanks. Here is a different recording on a different device - handheld Tascam unit. Almost sounds like a banjo-piano cross breed (kidding).
Recording

And here is a picture of the hammers around middle C. Do you think I should get them sanded down?
Hammer Grooves Picture

The hammers are quite hard, even after the All\alcohol treatment. Only two years old but gets 2-3 hours daily of practice. The hammers are probably not the best and I'm not opposed to getting improved ones. Maybe I should invest 3-4 hours of a tech's time to try to improve the existing ones first.

I notice that both of your examples focus primarily on notes in the 3rd and 4th octaves. If that is where you spend most of your playing time, and that is where you are hearing the effect the most, then, yes, your piano probably needs voicing focusing in that area. As Keith said above, there is a good chance your piano was never prepped properly at the dealer with hammer shaping and voicing.

To be honest, I can hear the effect somewhat in your first video, but the audio recording above... I'm not hearing a glaring issue. Am I the only one? I'm not listening on the greatest of speakers, but, still...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hammer Grooves Picture
It's Grooves no deep. If you have possibility need delete it's

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by violarules
To be honest, I can hear the effect somewhat in your first video, but the audio recording above... I'm not hearing a glaring issue. Am I the only one? I'm not listening on the greatest of speakers, but, still...

No, you're not the only one. Acoustics around the piano seem quite muffled, but I'm not hearing a glaring issue with the tone itself either.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
N
N
Recording

Hammer Grooves Picture

It sounds like a nice piano to me. It has what I would describe as a clean, bright modern sound, with some warmth, based on this recording. 2-3 hours of playing for two years will have packed down the hammers a bit at the strike point. Some techs will do some chopstick needling at this point in time, and that will probably bring it back close to the way it sounded when you bought it. But my advice would be just to keep playing and not think about it too much. We sometimes get tired of the way our pianos sound, no matter how much we like them. Our moods change from day to day, week to week, and season to season. We tend to like our piano’s sound more when we are happy and well rested. We tend to find them too harsh when we’re tired and practice isn’t going well. All these things matter. It took me a while to learn this. Sometimes having a friend come and listen to the piano and then hearing him tell you it sounds fine can put things into perspective. But in short, I can tell from this recording that it is a lovely piano. Enjoy!

Baldwin L ❤️
Yamaha p115
Kawai es920
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
The piano sounds fine to me. And the hammer grooves are nothing to worry about at this stage.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission