2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (ChickenBrother, BillS728, BravoRomeo, Burkhard, Brendan, C. L., 36251, Brus, carlspost, Calavera, 12 invisible), 700 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bart K Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I'm playing the famous Rach prelude in C-sharp minor (yeah I know 🙄) and I was wondering how other people might pracice the chord jumps. The way my teacher showed me and which I always practiced so far was to play then quickly jump to the next chord but stop with my hand in position over the keys, then play and quickly jump to the next one, etc. That works great for most of the chords in this piece but then there is this in measure 51 and 53:

[Linked Image]

It's obviously impossible to play these chords on the beat so everyone plays the bass octaves and immediately jumps to the top. But that jump should be much quicker than the rest of the prelude - almost like a grace note. There is no time to prepare the chord after the jump. It has to be immediate.

So, I am trying a different practice technique where I prepare my hands in mid-air while moving in an arc and land on the chords immediately without preparing first. Obviously, I'm practicing it slowly but because it's only one movement instead of two I believe it will help me play this chord the way it should. I made some improvement already but I'm still hitting wrong notes at the moment.

Any thoughts? How would you practice this?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The right hand is a C octave followed by another C octave, only this time with inner chord notes.

What I do there is when playing the lower C octave, make sure my fingers are clearly resting upon the notes that make up the chord for the next part. Actually and consciously feel the full chord without playing the inner notes.

That way, the chord is already "set" without having to find it when it is needed a moment later.

For the left hand, practice the jump just as an octave, minus the inner notes. Then, after you can do that cleanly and quickly, add in one (or both inner notes).

Also, with the left hand, if your hand is relaxed, as you play the higher E octave, your fingers should rest upon, or be real close to the G# and C# black notes, which comprise the full chord.

BTW, that is how I learn such chord jumps...if too hard, first learn the "shell" of the chord...in this case it is an octave...somtimes its not. Then add in the inner notes.

You can also practice separate from the music that chord on the octaves accessible to the left hand so the chord itself is automatic.

Hope this helps.

Piano teacher.
Bart K Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks rocket88! Yes, that helps. I have been practicing with the octaves only at first and it definitely helps. I probably need to do it more.

For the C-sharp minor chord in the RH I also practiced with a C#-G#-C# shell at first because I find the full chord tricky. The problem is that I have to play the E with finger 2 and I keep hitting D-sharp with that finger as I'm moving in an arc from the lower part of the keyboard. It's like the hand needs to turn in the other direction that it's moving. Maybe I should do a bigger arc and fall more vertically onto the keys?

Thanks for the tip of preparing the chord as I play the octave. I'll try that trick and see if it helps.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
One thing I have learned about situations like you describe where one finger is continuously playing the wrong note is to over-emphasize the playing of the correct note.

So move your hand slowly to the final upper position, and press the E with your second finger very very hard and distinctly...

This developer a pattern... a clear and distinct brain map for the correct note...kind of like yelling a command to make it totally clear vs softly saying the command.

Piano teacher.
Bart K Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Ah yes, that makes sense! I'll go slowly and play that E distinctly. smile

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
It's obviously impossible to play these chords on the beat.....
I usually play the chords right on the beat and the octaves just before.

Speaking of which, I actually play the preceding octaves as full 4-note C# minor chords in each hand in bar 53. Somehow, after memorizing it some years ago, that crept in after I hadn't played it for a few months, because that is the climax of the whole sequence and therefore, the loudest chord, and somehow I thought Rach wrote two full chords. By the time I discovered my error, I'd already performed it twice that way, and felt it sounded a little thin when I played it as written, so I've stayed with my 'improvement' ever since..... smirk

So, I am trying a different practice technique where I prepare my hands in mid-air while moving in an arc and land on the chords immediately without preparing first. Obviously, I'm practicing it slowly but because it's only one movement instead of two I believe it will help me play this chord the way it should. I made some improvement already but I'm still hitting wrong notes at the moment.

Can you land precisely on those chords from 'nothing'? That is, you know the keys you want to play in each hand, and you just play them immediately without any preparation, out of thin air as it were, without any preceding notes to 'guide' you, or to launch your hands from.

I think that is the sort of 'position sense' you want to develop with your hands and fingers, to tackle stuff like this. Almost instantly, you can form the shapes with your fingers that you need to land precisely on those notes in the chords, with all of them sounding together and properly voiced. And you are able to do that from a short distance above the keyboard.

What you could do is to get used to playing the chords by themselves: maybe play them several times (perhaps with different voicings each time) until they feel very familiar and natural, and the positions of your spread hands and outstretched fingers feel totally normal. Play those chords at the start of every practise session, and at the end, as many times as you feel like playing, until you can just sit down at the piano and immediately play them without any preparation.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Bart K Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Can you land precisely on those chords from 'nothing'? That is, you know the keys you want to play in each hand, and you just play them immediately without any preparation, out of thin air as it were, without any preceding notes to 'guide' you, or to launch your hands from.
That's interesting. Do you keep your hands in your lap and then raise them and play the chord immediately? That seems easier than jumping up by two octaves. I will not torture my wife with more Rach practice tonight (especially at this time 😏) but I will try it out tomorrow and report back.

S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S

I dont really try to mold my fingers while being above the keys. The shape of my hand comes naturally based on what chord I need to play. I guess somewhere after leaving the previous chord and before landing on the new one, my hands takes the appropriate form. I usually dont even need to look at my hand, sometimes I would have a quick glance at the target position, if I am unsure. Positionning your hand above the chord is a trick when you have the time to do so, but in most cases you dont have the time nor can you look at the position (in particular if you are reading the score). So you need to be able to shape your hand based on the chord you need to play and at the place where you need to play it.

Blüthner model 6
Originally Posted by bennevis
That's interesting. Do you keep your hands in your lap and then raise them and play the chord immediately? That seems easier than jumping up by two octaves. I will not torture my wife with more Rach practice tonight (especially at this time 😏) but I will try it out tomorrow and report back.
I think bennevis was saying that what he described is a key to being able to play the chords when you jump to them. What he describes becomes automatic with enough practice.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
You need to do forearm rotation in order to do this quickly. Imagine that it is a special kind of a long arpeggio and practice it this way for some time. Just like in arpeggios the fingers must take the shape of a chord only in a very last moment, otherwise you won't be able to change position quickly.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Music Right For You?
by FrankCox - 05/26/22 12:33 PM
Video on avoiding tension at the piano...
by thepianoplayer416 - 05/26/22 11:57 AM
What an ordeal!!!!
by ebonyk - 05/26/22 11:45 AM
How to include a photo
by FarmGirl - 05/26/22 11:30 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,244
Posts3,194,635
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission