2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (Alex Porteus, Beemer, Colin Miles, brennbaer, 36251, bluebilly, Anglagard44, 8 invisible), 561 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3172942 11/24/21 05:38 AM
R
RTKO Offline OP
OP Offline
R
My new Shigeru Kawai SK5 arrived this past weekend!

Searching for a piano was a great experience and I enjoyed trying out many fine pianos.

As a bit of background, I cross shopped mostly high-tier brands (including Steinway, Steingraeber, Estonia, Bluthner, Bechstein, and Bosendorfer). Notable makes I did not try were Yamaha CF/SX (no availability) and Fazioli (not enough time). My goal was to find a 6-7 foot high end piano that I would keep for decades. I was not price agnostic, but for FWIW I would've been willing and able to purchase any piano if it "spoke to me".

Reasons I chose Shigeru Kawai:

1. Touch and Tone (obviously). For my preferences and playing style, the Shigeru Kawai action was the most responsive and controllable. I felt this to be true across the entire model range, irrespective of piano size

2. Support/Service - Kawai US headquarters is 30 minutes away from me. I figure if there's a problem it's easier to deal locally. Additionally, since Kawai is a bigger company I have higher confidence that the company would be able to support issues that come up in 20 or 30 years (though no one knows the future). Furthermore, I am a repeat customer at my dealer (Kim's Piano). I previously purchased a Novus NV5 from them. At that time, they gave me a very fair price with their initial quote, and when I had some minor complaints about sticking keys after purchase they promptly sent out a technician to regulate the action.

3. Reputation - I spoke to a couple piano technicians who all vouched for the excellent and consistent build quality of these instruments. (Though there are many other makes that are equally well regarded)

Thank you everyone for making this forum a helpful and supportive virtual space.

Keep making music!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RTKO; 11/24/21 05:46 AM.
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new Shigeru Kawai SK5!

A
A
Lovely story. CONGRATULATIONS to your magnificent grand. May you have many wonderful years together!

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 / Kawai CS11 / Kawai MP-11SE / Kawai MP-7SE / Hammond XK-3c / Vox Continental 73
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
Listening to the Chopin competition you made a great choice, not to mention that Shigeru I came across in London sometime ago.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on acquiring your beautiful Shigeru. I’m sure you will enjoy playing it for many decades to come. I’m also sure since you live not far from the Kawai headquarters, you can get the Kawai Master Technician to come and get your SK5 to its performance peak when you’re ready.

By the way, you could upload more pictures or maybe even a video of your beauty. hint hint.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Beautiful piano, may it give you much joy.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I believe that you have found your "dream" piano and the cogent reasons for your choice affirm that. Congratulations and and may you enjoy hours and hours of enjoyment with your lovely piano!

Robert.

B
B
Beautiful! Would love to play one someday

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations! 🎉🎊🎈 it looks fantastic, and I’m guessing it sounds even better than it looks! May it bring you many happy years of music making!

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Just in time for Thanksgiving. Can't wait to hear it.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
A
A
Congratulations! I had a great experience at Kim’s piano and nearly bought a Shigeru from them. Ended up with my Bechstein that I fell in love with over multiple visits there.

Working on:
Bach Preludes and Fugues (Assorted)
Beethoven Appassionata Sonata
Chopin Scherzo #3

Practicing on:
Yamaha NU1X
Yamaha P-515

Playing on:
C. Bechstein Concert A192

Old Flames:
1987 Yamaha C2
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
M
Online Content
M
Great piano.

But please do something for yourself and hand on the walls some acoustic treatment. Some sound reflectors and absorbers. Unless you buy fancy things from Vicoustic and etc, stuff itself is not very expensive. Just hire company who will do measurements and who knows how piano should sound in a room or a small (chamber) concert hall. Given the cost of the piano it will not cost much (should not exceed cost of good concert stool), but sound quality improvement will be tremendous.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I'm so jealous! I can only imagine what it's like to own a piano like that. Sometimes I pretend that I'm playing such a piano when I'm pounding away on my 1964 Yamaha U3. Dreams are free, at least!

Congrats on attracting such a thing into your life. Enjoy!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm glad it is delivered! It looks great there.

I'll support what maucycy mentioned, some room treatment might be a good idea. Maybe even some slightly heavy drapes on the windows. The piano position looks great, and since it looks like the room opens into the house space hopefully the sound isn't too intense.

Stay in touch!

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by maucycy
Great piano.

But please do something for yourself and hand on the walls some acoustic treatment. Some sound reflectors and absorbers. Unless you buy fancy things from Vicoustic and etc, stuff itself is not very expensive. Just hire company who will do measurements and who knows how piano should sound in a room or a small (chamber) concert hall. Given the cost of the piano it will not cost much (should not exceed cost of good concert stool), but sound quality improvement will be tremendous.
I don't think the OP expressed any problem with the sound or touch, so I don't think any acoustic treatment is needed.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A lovely instrument! Congratulations smile

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Beautuful instrument - Congrats

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
M
Online Content
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Great piano.

I don't think the OP expressed any problem with the sound or touch, so I don't think any acoustic treatment is needed.

I can't help here, unfortunately thinking is not your strong site.

This room screams for treatment.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Great piano.

I can't help here, unfortunately thinking is not your strong site.

This room screams for treatment.
What a nasty, mean spirited comment.

The room doesn't even have any furniture in it yet but you think the OP should get an acoustic treatment other than furniture. You may be the first person in the history of PW to suggest that kind of thing for someone who has not indicated any problem with the sound or touch of their piano. A reasonable person would wait for the room to be furnished and suggest an acoustic treatment if and only if the pianist has some problem with the sound. That has been done many times on PW.

S
S
Congrats! Now you have to fix that room, looks very empty smile. Need some acoustic thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heavy touchweight on Yamaha upright?
by Caesar - 05/20/22 08:40 PM
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
My Kawai RX3 finally started to sounds like Kawai
by Joonsung - 05/20/22 12:52 PM
I need some advice
by Lúthien - 05/20/22 12:23 PM
Harmonization by pentatonic chords
by Nahum - 05/20/22 06:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,161
Posts3,193,294
Members105,329
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission