2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, 7 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
If you have not played or seen a piano in real life, on eBay would you buy it based on appearance or brand? Perhaps the piano is overseas and it is not possible to see it.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Nope

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
In general, I would not. During the pandemic, I might consider it if I could have someone trustworthy inspect it for me (but I'm not piano shopping, so it's not really an issue for me).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

J
J
Absolutely not! Potentially outrageous shipping costs aside, I’ve played on enough pianos in my time to know that brand/age/type/visual appearance are absolutely irrelevant to the true condition and musicality of a piano. The only way to tell is to sit down and play it. A piano can look pristine, have the right name on the fallboard, be brand new or of the “good” vintage, and still play like a truck and assault the ears. And there’s no telling what issues a piano tech could find, if it’s a used piano. The right piano is the one that fits your budget and your space, suits your playing style, and maybe just speaks to you in some way. And chances are, there’s several of them at your local piano dealer or in the classifieds.

The only scenarios where it would make sense to buy a piano online without seeing it is if you’re a collector looking for a very rare instrument (like a square grand or a player piano), or just looking to own a piano as a piece of furniture. And even then, there has to be SOMETHING fitting those descriptions in your area that you can go check out.

C
c++ Offline
C
Nope.

M
M
How would you know it’s unplayed? No way. That’s too much trust in a total stranger. I have a $50 rule when ordering on line meaning, I am not willing to risk over 50.00. When things are shaky, that’s about the most I could lose without extreme stress, anger and possible depression. I would rather not lose a penny, but I could mentally process losing under $50.00. The price of a piano? No way.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by MarlaJackspiano
How would you know it’s unplayed? No way. That’s too much trust in a total stranger.
Not what the OP was talking about.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Nope — the odds of the piano being worthwhile and which I really, really liked would be slim to none

M
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
How would you know it’s unplayed? No way. That’s too much trust in a total stranger.

ok. I get it. Lol. The title said, “Used, unplayed” He meant unplayed by the purchaser, not the seller.

Would you get married to a yet unseen spouse???...Would you buy a house unseen??...Would you buy a car unseen??...Would you move to a new out-of-state (or out-of-country) location unseen???

All of these might be less stressful than buying a piano unseen or unheard...

But...

DON'T!!!

Joseph

"If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment."
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

ok. I get it. Lol. The title said, “Used, unplayed” He meant unplayed by the purchaser, not the seller.
I apologize I was distracted at the time.I could have written this far better if I was fully focused.Well I am certainly not planning on buying a piano on ebay.The question was asked because of what seems to be a greater need for affordable yet quality pianos and the availability.of these instruments.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BWV846
Would you get married to a yet unseen spouse???...Would you buy a house unseen??...Would you buy a car unseen??...Would you move to a new out-of-state (or out-of-country) location unseen???

All of these might be less stressful than buying a piano unseen or unheard...

But...

DON'T!!!
We read about desperate women at times marrying a person in prison they hardly know.Sometimes the person is a murderer, anything is possible.Perhaps the question should have been "have you ever bought a piano on ebay?"

I do know of at least one person who bought an unseen musical instrument on ebay

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
If you’re looking for those that have bought. or would recommend buying an unseen piano on eBay, you are not likely to find it here. ‘Pianists Out in the world’ is a different demographic.

5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
If you’re looking for those that have bought. or would recommend buying an unseen piano on eBay, you are not likely to find it here. ‘Pianists Out in the world’ is a different demographic.
Perhaps someone out in the world will write in and tell us yes they have and it was a disaster, a success or its "passable" But yes it is unlikely.It is nice to look at pianos on ebay and dream,
however keeping it a dream is all it will be for myself.Perhaps buying a piano from a reputable store overseas(without going there) would be safer.Still I would not advise it.

Who knows if one knows a good pianist and a good technician
who can inspect it .and you have "desperate fantasies"..

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I was in exactly this position when I was still in China. So I got someone to audition some pianos for me. She chose one, I bought it, and it is as good a machine as I have ever played on.

Having said that she is an international concert pianist and took with her the technician who tunes for her and the concert halls in Sofia. So between them they were always going to make a better decision than I would.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
I was in exactly this position when I was still in China. So I got someone to audition some pianos for me. She chose one, I bought it, and it is as good a machine as I have ever played on.

Having said that she is an international concert pianist and took with her the technician who tunes for her and the concert halls in Sofia. So between them they were always going to make a better decision than I would.
Phillip a long time member like you did this and you were successful! Well I like that.(and no desperate fantasies involved) 👍

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Buying a brand that's known for consistency and buying from a trustworthy seller could help mitigate the risk of disappointment too.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by dogperson

I did. Spent 3 years looking locally and on ebay
Then one came up on a 3 day auction 500 miles away. Did my due diligence though.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
No I wouldn’t. I also wouldn’t marry a prison penpal. I think I’m much too risk adverse and besides I only live 4 or 5 miles from a Yamaha dealership and a Kawai dealership.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
B
B
been buying from ebay since 2007 about 100+ items, mostly old (mechanical) film cameras & lenses, cheap mechanical watches, some audio parts - mostly things not available or hard to find where I live,
if it's from a reputable long term seller, who could provide good details (detailed pics, good sound recording), too good a bargain, then yes it's possible😊

ben

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission