2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
108 members (36251, An Old Square, AlainGeneva, 13bwl, accordeur, anotherscott, Akaitsuki, AndyOnThePiano, 22 invisible), 910 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Hello Cunnynghamjb,

Sorry to hear that the touchpanel update was not applied successfully.

Originally Posted by Cunnynghamjb
Then when went to update the LCD. I initially had issues getting the keyboard to recongize my thumbdrive until I reformatted it as NTFS.

Are you sure you mean NTFS? If so, this may be the reason for the update failure, as the system expects a FAT/FAT32-formatted USB stick.

I believe it should be possible to re-install the complete touchpanel software, however this will require downloading a separate file that is unfortunately not available from the Kawai Global website.

I'm currently on paternity leave, and will not return to the office until the end of the month, but will try to find a way to get the necessary files and touchpanel software reinstallation instructions to you. May I ask if you can send me a private message with your contact details, please?

In the mean time, I believe it should still be possible to control the CA99 using the PianoRemote app for iOS/Android.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
C
Thanks James! That sounds very very promising. I've sent you a message. Congrats again on your additions to the family and thanks for your dedication.

C
C
No surprise to anyone here, but James came through for me and fixed the issue! Thanks James for your help and patience. Anyone who is nervous about the tech behind the scenes should take comfort in the incredible support provided.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I'm currently on paternity leave, and will not return to the office until the end of the month

Wow, huge congrats to you and your family, James!! Enjoy the well-deserved "time off" (which parental leave never is)!!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Sad in the USA it still isn't a Federal Law yet. Sorry if I over-step bounds stating my opinion. Enjoy the time with your addition James!

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
I
I
hey kawai james! you helped a lot of us with buzzing sound problems coming from our ca-79 speakers and we got sort of a custom firmware i think? will this new update remove that?? thank you!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Cunnynghamjb
No surprise to anyone here, but James came through for me and fixed the issue! Thanks James for your help and patience. Anyone who is nervous about the tech behind the scenes should take comfort in the incredible support provided.

Many thanks, happy to help.

Originally Posted by Gombessa
Wow, huge congrats to you and your family, James!!
Originally Posted by EPW
Enjoy the time with your addition James!

Thanks guys!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by iimthomas
hey kawai james! you helped a lot of us with buzzing sound problems coming from our ca-79 speakers and we got sort of a custom firmware i think? will this new update remove that??

Yes. if you apply an official update over the beta firmware, the sound adjustments will revert to the official version.

However, it's possible to then re-apply the beta firmware to restore those sound adjustments, if desired, while still enjoying the benefits of using the latest firmware.

Kind regards,
James
x

G
G
Thank you! I spent an hour trying to figure out why the system upgrade wouldn't work on my CA79 since the LCD upgrade was so easy. I read the instructions five times but never noticed I had to use the other USB slot until I saw your post. Jeesh.

OP Offline
Hello gjetson,

Originally Posted by gjetson
Thank you! I spent an hour trying to figure out why the system upgrade wouldn't work on my CA79 since the LCD upgrade was so easy. I read the instructions five times but never noticed I had to use the other USB slot until I saw your post. Jeesh.

Sorry to read that the update instructions were not 100% clear on this point.

For reference, here are the LCD touchpanel (top) and system firmware (bottom) update instructions. Do you have any suggestions on how these documents could be improved to ensure that customers always connect the USB stick into the correct port?

[Linked Image]

Kind regards,
James
x

G
G
No, it's very clear in the manual. But even though I read the instructions many times, my brain just didn't register that there were two different plugs circled in red for the two updates. Once I had done the LCD update using the "USB for UPDATE" socket, I mentally skipped over the picture in the system upgrade description, assuming it had to be the "UPDATE" socket. I really don't know what you could change to make it more clear in the manual. The only thing that might have saved me is if there were a small readme.txt file included in the zipped download file that reiterated the two different plugs.

Last edited by gjetson; 11/30/21 07:35 PM.
OP Offline
Hello gjetson,

Thank you for your reply, and for the suggestion.

You're not the first person to overlook the different USB ports, so I'm keen to find a way to improve the documentation to ensure are aware of the differences.
I'll consider adding a "readme.txt" to forthcoming firmware and touchpanel update archives.

Kind regards,
James
x

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Hello gjetson,

Thank you for your reply, and for the suggestion.

You're not the first person to overlook the different USB ports, so I'm keen to find a way to improve the documentation to ensure are aware of the differences.
I'll consider adding a "readme.txt" to forthcoming firmware and touchpanel update archives.

Kind regards,
James
x
If I may offer an opinion as a person who often does not RFM in-depth or just skims. The two pages shown in the preceding post look the same at a glance. So if I had read the first page and encountered the second on a skim read or glance I would assume they are the same. Changing the layout, so the pages are different at a glance may have helped? Yes I often have to part disassemble IKEA or similar flat pack due to this shortcoming of mine, and other things. crazy

G
G
The software update manual is quite clear, but for the more careless, it should be sufficient to insert a rectangle at the beginning of the page with the words in bold: "Warning, this piano has two USB sockets: make sure you use the correct socket specified on the next page of the following instructions".

N
NXR Offline
N
Originally Posted by Gianluca
The software update manual is quite clear, but for the more careless, it should be sufficient to insert a rectangle at the beginning of the page with the words in bold: "Warning, this piano has two USB sockets: make sure you use the correct socket specified on the next page of the following instructions".

Agreed. This is only the second device I've owned where separate ports were required to update different modules. The other one is a ham radio where there are three, count 'em, three, update ports and that had to be updated in a specific order. And has tiny, tiny slide switches that needed flipped inside the radio for an update.

I don't know that I would use the phrase "for the more careless", though. Perhaps "for people with very short attention spans or who HATE to read manuals". That should cover most of the population nowadays. smile

Next up: Wi-Fi connected pianos that will automatically update and brick themselves occasionally from faulty updates. smile

Kawai James, I was rather surprised to see that I cannot register my new (USA) CA99 purchase online. I have no faith that the mailed-in warranty card will ever arrive given the state of the postal service nowadays. Online product registration also would give Kawai the contact info to notify customers of updates and new products. But you've probably heard this one before...

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
M
M
Hi there,

A couple of weeks ago I purchased an NV10S. I've become aware (via this forum!) that the software should be upgraded. However, I've been unsuccessful in achieving this. I'm hoping I can receive some help here.

I have:
formatted an 8Gb USB stick as FAT
copied the single file NVx9_P10.SYS onto this stick
inserted it into the USB port on the Novus at the front, on the panel with the headphone jacks.
held the power button until the firmware update screen appears (on the advice of Kawai Australia, as the recommended 10 seconds is insufficient)

The result is a "File not found" message. At which point the only thing to do is turn it off. I have tried 4 times now, reformatting each time (have tried on my computer and on the Novus).

So, I do note that I am using an iMac, and it sneaks 3 hidden files/folders onto the USB stick (which I cannot remove; I am utterly astounded that Apple believes it's OK to dictate what contents I retain on my removable storage media, but that's a whole other story...).
But I've seen in this thread that other OSX users have successfully updated their Novus.

I have not yet tried the LCD screen update (I saw on this thread a recommendation that the System update be applied first).

Can anyone offer any advice? (I don't have a Windows machine in the house. It's not impossible for me to go to a friend's house and do the format / copy, but that seems mildly onerous and will especially be so if it doesn't work.)

Cheers,
Mike

OP Offline
Hello Mike,

I'm sorry to read that you've encountered some difficulties in trying to update your NV10S.

I have a 8GB USB stick here, so tried the following:

- Full format (FAT32, default allocation size) in Windows 10, copied update file, firmware update successful.
- Format in macOS Disk Utility (FAT, MBR), copied update file, firmware update successful.

Note that this is obviously not an exhaustive test, it could well be that the firmware update is not succesful in certain scenarios.

If you have not done so already, please try another USB stick.

Kind regards,
James
x

B
B
Hi - my LCD update went fine - however, the system update has frozen on “Writing”.

What do I do? Is it safe to switch off and try again?

C
C
Originally Posted by gjetson
No, it's very clear in the manual. But even though I read the instructions many times, my brain just didn't register that there were two different plugs circled in red for the two updates. Once I had done the LCD update using the "USB for UPDATE" socket, I mentally skipped over the picture in the system upgrade description, assuming it had to be the "UPDATE" socket. I really don't know what you could change to make it more clear in the manual. The only thing that might have saved me is if there were a small readme.txt file included in the zipped download file that reiterated the two different plugs.
Haha, I made exactly the same mistake, with the exact same reasoning. The UPDATE port is for updates. Hence, all updates.
After using the correct port, the update went fine. Pity it did not resolve the issue (load last settings at startup).

C
C
Apparently, the SYS update needs to be installed BEFORE the LCD update. Or so I was told by Kawai Germany. If that is indeed the case it might be worth mentioning prominently, as I did not see this anywhere (could have missed it though, as with the second USB port 😁).

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sound editing Yamaha Clp-785
by Mama Legba - 01/18/22 06:14 PM
Bergmann expanding action brackets?
by DanS - 01/18/22 05:28 PM
Where The Rivers Go
by KenBakerMN - 01/18/22 03:50 PM
one note very flat--bad sign or no big deal?
by YTF2020 - 01/18/22 02:38 PM
1968 Bladwin Hamilton 243, worth to take a look?
by HanchenXT - 01/18/22 02:04 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,217
Posts3,161,973
Members104,067
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission