2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (BillS728, BravoRomeo, Burkhard, Brendan, C. L., 36251, Brus, Calavera, AndreaH, 15 invisible), 765 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ubu Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Anyone here uses this kind of programs such as sonarworks or ik arc?

Do they work in order to bring a more reliable and pleasing sound?

And how do they work with a vst? Do they add latency?

Yes they add latency. Just use a parametric eq in your DAW and manually tune to your room. Or, if your virtual piano has individual note volume editing you can get most of the way with that. (It’s not exactly the same, but gets you 80%).

Play up your piano. When you hear a note that stands out too loud , and maybe you can feel it vibrating uncomfortably in your ears, that is probably either a room resonance or else a speaker cabinet resonance.
You cut the fundamental frequency or reduce the volume of that note.

If you do this, remember that the setup you end up with is specific to those speakers in that room and to your taste.

Adult beginner. Roland FP90X, Embertone Walker vst, etc.
K
K
Originally Posted by Ubu
Anyone here uses this kind of programs such as sonarworks or ik arc?

Do they work in order to bring a more reliable and pleasing sound?

And how do they work with a vst? Do they add latency?

Sonarworks has a zero latency setting. It's not as good as the linear phase or mixed settings, though, as it introduces phase shift.

M
M
I believe the de facto standard here is Dirac. It's available in many shapes and formats and they claim to have real time capabilities, although I did not try them personally. Setup is not trivial, it involves doing measure for your room with a mic, building a baseline and importing into the device that will actually do the DSP processing. Probably the best way to go is a MiniDSP module, (HW + SW). Cost is around 500, I will probably get one of those myself. It has digital input in case your keyboard has digital output of sorts.

Enjoy and let us know if you go that route.

M.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I used free REW software. Optimized placement of speakers, listening position and some furniture.

Basically have no "EQ" running through system (except the subwoofer has a few physical dials that I optimized).

Never had any luck running auto room correction but learned a lot with the process and the REW software / forums. It took a long time to do this and frankly the optimial position is pretty close to what I tried originally.

K
K
These tools are mostly gimmicks. They use some concepts used by acousticians but the overall purpose of it is sold in a way that promises something it can’t deliver.

They are sold under the guise that any room with problematic acoustics can be fixed with an eq. They can’t.

Moving on,

Reliable ? It’s an eq. All you are paying for is a microphone that records the response a sine sweep. A generic EQ ( all digital eqs pretty much use the same math then add a shiny gui) It then tries to make the response linear which is in practice pointless when A, that is not the same as sounding pleasant and B, actual issues that should be addressed are almost always in the low end and given the shape of your room and speaker placement, might create nulls which no software can correct.

Do they add latency, yes. Latency you can notice ? That depends. If you don’t have an interface running smoothly with a buffer of 256 or lower, you will notice. Unless you are a mastering engineer and can hear the difference between linear and non linear eqs, both have pros and cons, then you would be better off with non linear. 0 latency means your current latency plus whatever latency the plug-in is adding. All plugins ie eqs will add latency. Most are not noticeable.

You can’t correct a room. The cost would be so high, you would literally just be better off building another room. Placing broadband absorbers will not solve the actual issues that matter when your room is say a cube. And foam everywhere will just make it dead. They work for mid to highs, which are never really the issue.

So just use an eq. And find what you think sounds nice.

Last edited by KillerBunny; 11/22/21 06:20 PM.
M
M
And on the other side of the fence...

I use sonarworks all the time. Wouldn't dream of going without (ie not upgrading to win 11 until sonarworks is functional). Buying better speakers/amp/DAC than what I have would be cost prohibitive, and I feel like sonarworks adds just a little realism back by correcting some of the muddiness of an imperfect, but probably reasonably dampened room (minus some for the fishtank, plus some for carpet, curtains and stuffed animals). I don't notice the latency. Once you're done with setup, sonarworks basically is a fancy EQ - but it would be rather difficult to find those settings by yourself.

YMMV.

U1. VPC-1. Komplete Kontrol 61 1st gen. Pianoteq, Ravenscroft, etc. Two kids on Alfred.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The room may be "corrected" at the mic location, but may be a lot worse a few cm away. We have two ears and they are always moving.

Some systems will measure the mic in several places to provide an average but IME that may just give suboptimal EQ everywhere.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is Music Right For You?
by FrankCox - 05/26/22 12:33 PM
Video on avoiding tension at the piano...
by thepianoplayer416 - 05/26/22 11:57 AM
What an ordeal!!!!
by ebonyk - 05/26/22 11:45 AM
How to include a photo
by FarmGirl - 05/26/22 11:30 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,244
Posts3,194,635
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission