2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (36251, An Old Square, AndyG123, Abdol, accordeur, Alex Hutor, Animisha, beeboss, 17 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by tre corda
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Soul comes in surprising ways sometimes even through this rather twangy keyboard.(perhaps meant to imitate a clavichord) The tenor is contrasting though in its richness.https://youtu.be/AYUolZUf8b0
I think any reaction you have to that video is related to the piece and not the instrument.
Pianoloverus
Can you define soul?
It's not something a piano has. That's just a marketing ploy used by some piano rebuilders or those that sell old pianos.

The only piano I know of that might have an actual soul resides in a building known as The Shrieking Shack outside of a village in Britain named Hogsmeade.

j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
I don’t think acoustic pianos have a soul, but they have an individual voice and a personality. This is why I could order my Casio P320 online because my P320 sounds just like any other P320, but had to try each of my acoustic pianos from the showroom.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Many individual pianos from various bands have very similar voices, some to the point of almost being standardized.I agree you are advised not to order them as you would a washing machine, however many people do, and seem very happy with them.
I myself as many know prefer accoustic pianos, but the implication by the OP that middle and high end accoustic pianos are only capable of communicating what is musical or spiritual is wrong and snobbish.Music in itself is spiritual no matter how it is produced, even disregarding its quality.A child playing the cheapest digital can still produce what is meaningful.No one can take that away.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

D
D
I just substitute the word "soul" with the word "organic" smile

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
I've mentioned this before, and this seems like an opportunity to mention it again...

The odd ringing overtones in the upper treble notes were annoying, and I was very disappointed. I thought it might be the Peavey keyboard amp, so I took it back the music store for a refund, and the owner of the store gave me a hard time about taking the amp back, but he did give me a refund. I then purchased the Roland KC350 keyboard amp from another music store.

After getting the new keyboard amp plugged in and set up, the odd ringing overtones were still there.

If you share this story too many times, the Peavey dealer will eventually come across it and say, “I knew there was nothing wrong with that amp!” wink

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
when I purchased my Casio Privia PX310 digital, I tried out the display model at the store before I purchased, specifically listening for any odd, annoying ringing overtones, which there were none. So, whatever acoustic piano they used to sample the notes for the Casio was tuned and prepped to perfection.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if they sampled a CF series concert grand? wink

How to Upload Pictures

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

thumb

How to Upload Pictures

j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Just my humble opinion here. To me, “soul” has two meanings. I’m a Christian. My soul is the spiritual part of me that will continue to exist after death and judgement. Soul is also the description of musicians and vocalists that is present in Rockabilly, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Motown, and some Rap. It’s hard to really describe but the music makes everybody want to dance or at least sway with the backbeat and the lyrics get stuck in my head. Most everyone here is too young to remember the show SoulTrain.

Ray Charles had “soul” and a soul. His acoustic piano only had “soul” when he played it. Stevie Wonder has soul and a soul. His keyboards have soul when he plays them.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Just my humble opinion here. To me, “soul” has two meanings. I’m a Christian. My soul is the spiritual part of me that will continue to exist after death and judgement. Soul is also the description of musicians and vocalists that is present in Rockabilly, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Motown, and some Rap. It’s hard to really describe but the music makes everybody want to dance or at least sway with the backbeat and the lyrics get stuck in my head. Most everyone here is too young to remember the show SoulTrain.

Ray Charles had “soul” and a soul. His acoustic piano only had “soul” when he played it. Stevie Wonder has soul and a soul. His keyboards have soul when he plays them.

A very good definition/description of "Soul", j&j. And, I can relate in more ways than one.

One of my oddities, or perhaps a better word might be different from the norm, or uniqueness, is that I like to play tunes, songs, and pieces on the piano that you don't normally hear played on the piano. For example, I enjoy playing and singing my rendition of Soul singer, (some call him the godfather of soul) James Brown's "I feel good".

I have a really good time playing and singing that song. And, as a general rule, it will make you smile, dance or "feel good" in some way. It makes me feel good in a lot of ways when I play it.

Of course, some may have an expression on their face, when they hear me play it, like the older rich lady in the famous "Polaner All Fruit" jelly commercial. Polaner All Fruit Commercial smile

Yep, that coffee has kicked in this morning! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[quote=j&j]Just my humble opinion here. To me, “soul” has two meanings. I’m a Christian. My soul is the spiritual part of me that will continue to exist after death and judgement.[/quoteJ&J]

Same here a Christian, many who are not also beleive they have souls..Actually the way my 13year old dog looks at me sometimes, I am sure he has a soul too.He is a rescue dog and
came to us 10 years ago.He has heart problems and possibly other problems.Still when he looks at us ..

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Of course, some may have an expression on their face, when they hear me play it, like the older rich lady in the famous "Polaner All Fruit" jelly commercial. Polaner All Fruit Commercial smile

Yep, that coffee has kicked in this morning! smile

Rick[/quote]

Perhaps she has been reading this thread or perhaps she just has indigestion.😃

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Factory silent options
by Gombessa - 01/26/22 11:23 AM
History of Yamaha U1 price
by VeritasNL - 01/26/22 10:25 AM
Where to find a concert grand to play
by Keyburn - 01/26/22 08:42 AM
17th Adilia Alieva International Music Competition
by Alex-Peter - 01/26/22 06:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,362
Posts3,164,087
Members104,170
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission