2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (andrewlapp, 36251, Blague, bluebilly, Animisha, Beemer, Anglagard44, 19 invisible), 1,035 guests, and 417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Online Embarrased
J
I listened to all of the pieces over the course of this past week and enjoyed every one. I hope to find time next week to make some comments.

Just wanted to pop in and say that it's a wonderful recital, and I very much appreciate the comments on my piece so far. Some were really generous and unexpected.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
R
R
Originally Posted by JB_PW
I listened to all of the pieces over the course of this past week and enjoyed every one. I hope to find time next week to make some comments.

Just wanted to pop in and say that it's a wonderful recital, and I very much appreciate the comments on my piece so far. Some were really generous and unexpected.
Same situation here. I knew it was going to be a long 10 straight days of work after the recital, so it doesn't come as a surprise that I haven't had the time to get my stuff organized. But as badly as I wanted to submit something to this recital, just as badly do I want to get comments to the people who submitted these wonderful pieces, and thank the people who very kindly made comments.

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Back with the remaining Bach entries:

44. selfishplayer - Variatio 8 from Goldberg Variations
Now THAT is a stage for any music student to celebrate - when you discover that your skills have outgrown your instrument. You handled this intricate and complex piece confidently: it could make a useful test piece as you audition contenders for your new piano. smile

45. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Invention No. 8 In F Major, BWV 779
I love revisiting ‘old’ pieces - and realising that I’m in better control than I was, first time around. A bright, enjoyable little piece - you deserve to feel good about your performance!

46. Agrajag - Jesus bleibet meine Freude - BWV 147
Welcome to the Recitals, Agrajag. An interesting arrangement of one of my favourite Bach compositions. Sensitively played - and impressive after only a few months at the piano!

And J C Bach to round off the set:

50. Coati - The Setting Sun
I’m ‘nowhere close to the standard of most performances in these recitals’ either, but I haven’t let that deter me: I just try for a ‘personal best’. I’m so glad you decided to submit this spirited little composition - very well done!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXIV

My C3 - solace. And joy.
T
T
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
19. Talao - Gnossienne No. 1 The Gnossiennes are harder than you think, the score seems easy enough and straight forward when only looking at the scores. Satie also had some odd way of describing how you should play it. “Lost” “as an afterthought” – and stuff like that.
You played it perfectly, but have you thought about his remarks? Can they be incorporated in some way?

Thank you, Flygbladet!! I was unaware of the existence of these descriptions by Satie himself. Thank you for pointing that out. I'll do some research into this and see if there's more that he said about his own pieces. The words "lost" and "afterthought" are not straightforward to me in terms of playing interpretation, but it's a fun exercise to think about how to turn them into a concrete type of touch on the piano.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and (incoming) Kawai MP11SE
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Again,

21. ranjit - The Madman's Circus
21 minutes of improvisation ! Impressive, I enjoyed it but I must confess I skipped the middle of the piece.

22. stevedoz - Dawn
Welcome to the recital. Romantic and beautiful.

23. pianist685 (Constantin) - If I could see you again
Good playing and and beautiful.

24. vte - Notturno Op 28 No 4
Nice performance.

25. Purrblast - Invention in C Major (BWV 772)
Well done.

26. lilypad - The Great Pumpkin Waltz
Well played.

27. Ganddalf - Sonata Pathetique, Second movement
A great joy to listen to this Sonata.

28. Saan Saturday - The Cat and the Mouse
Interesting piece, Well done !

29. Flygbladet - Sonata Pathetique Mov. 1
Well played !

30. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sentimental Waltz, Op 51 No 6
Nice playing.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Calavera
07. Ted Jones - Croaghaun Triptych (Part 1)
This evoked some kind of insouciance and wholesome curiosity to me. I can see/hear some connection with rocks and cliffs. I have no idea if this is what you want to hear, but I'd say this performance is more accessible than many of the bizarro musings you've submitted in other recitals. Whatever the case, I certainly enjoyed this cliff-shaped performance, and I agree that the old tape recorder sound gives it a rather charming quality.

Pleasing response, my music is nothing if not insouciant and bizarre. The cliffs are just incidental really, I am not very good at direct musical impressionism. Probably accessible because it is sixteen years old, before I went funny, you know, like Louis Wain and his cat paintings. Thanks for listening.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
L
L
Thank you to KevinM and AndresVel for your kind remarks on The Great Pumpkin Waltz. In answer to your question, Kevin, I believe Vince Guaraldi wrote it for a Peanuts Thanksgiving TV special and it likely has something to do with Linus' Great Pumpkin.

Continuing with more comments -

40. OE1FEU (Peter) - Intermezzo b-flat minor Op. 117 No. 2 -Very beautiful. Looking forward to hearing more of your Op. 117 project.

42. Marlings - Well Tempered Clavier / Prelude and Fugue 6 in D minor - I can just say wow! Relentless is right. Very impressive.

43. CarlosCC - One wave one sea - Very soothing composition. I can imagine the rolling waves of the ocean listening to it.

44. selfishplayer - Variatio 8 from Goldberg Variations - Impressive job on a piece with such a fast tempo.

45. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Invention No. 8 In F Major, BWV 779 - Very lively Bach performance. Easy to understand why it's a grade 7.

46. Agrajag - Jesus bleibet meine Freude - BWV 147 - Bach at his most beautiful in my opinion. Great job on bringing out the voices.

47. facdo - Nocturne in E flat Major, Op.9 No.2 - Easy to understand the popularity of this piece. I don't hear it enough. You played it well.

48. Rachtoven - Piano Sonata in C Major K.545 1st Movement - The sonata sounded lovely. I'm glad you submitted it for the recital.

49. Pathbreaker - Nocturne No. 3 - Op. 33 - I'm glad you decided to finish Nocturne No. 3 and share it for the recital. It is lovely.

50. Coati - The Setting Sun - Your piece sounded very nice. The beginner piece recital was an inspiration that there is beautiful music written for all levels and worthy of being shared.

51. RudolfRSK - Sonetto 47 del Petrarca - Liszt's music is truly beautiful. When I was a child, my dad took me and my sisters to see 'Song Without End' about Liszt's life. My sisters and I found the adult content boring and depressing, but my dad was probably embarrassed that he hadn't known about it before hand and had taken his kids to see it.

52. P Westberg - Bagatelle Op. 119 No. 1 - A little gem indeed! Thank you for sharing it.

53. Moo smile - Rondo in D K485 - Well done! I'm impressed by anyone who can play a piece well while reading at the same time. The page turns were even accomplished without breaks in the music. I try to do that, but end up having to memorize in order play well.

Time to go practice!

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
19. Talao - Gnossienne No. 1
Congratulations on submitting your second Satie composition. I know from experience with the Gymnopedies and the Gnossiennes that the ‘notes’ are easy to play but the ‘music’ is not: you are largely left to your own interpretative devices (despite/because of his inscrutable directions). I thoroughly enjoyed this!

Two more from Beethoven:

Gandalf, you shouldn’t have been apprehensive. This is one of my all-time favourite classical compositions, and to my ears you really did it justice. I loved it!

Wow - what a treat. You have so much to show for your ‘ton of work’. A scintillating and dramatic performance!

I had no preconceived expectations, as I’ve never heard this particular Tchaikovsky composition. It was delightful. A single take - and what a magic result!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXIV

My C3 - solace. And joy.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
AndresVel, peterws: many thanks for your comments. Glad you enjoyed them. The Op24 set is one of my favourites, too, and I wish my technique could be stretched to the Op59 set. It's been a work in progress for quite some time ....... Op24 No4 was itself a stretch, so it means a lot to me that it came over OK. Peter,I am aware of your reservations about Chopin's melancholy and very glad these passed muster. It is one of the more cheerful sets. Re the Bluethner sound, PM me if you would like to try out the fxps - one for playing, suitable for the small room I use and one with more reverb, as heard, for listening. Trouble is, the listening fxp uses a Samplicity convolution reverb, so you may not have access to that. (Used to be free, now other people I have recommended it to have found it difficult to find.

R
R
Another amazing recital. I haven't listened to everything yet but am impressed with the high quality I've heard. Here are some initial comments:

You played this perfectly. A great (unknown to me) piece.

I’m really impressed. You played this with such sensitivity—a beautiful performance.

Your performance is absolutely fantastic. This is more “modern” than what I usually listen to, but I enjoyed this because you played so convincingly and brought out the musical logic.

You really set yourself a challenge with this one. An amazing job! Not just hitting the notes but playing with just the right dynamics and timing. One thought: have you considered playing with a bit less pedal on the rumbly bass notes starting at 4:35? In my opinion, they should sound a bit more rumbly.

A lovely piece, and you played this just about perfectly, with feeling and appropriate dynamic/tempo choices. The piano also sounds wonderful.

34. sandalholme - 4 Mazurkas Op24

A recital within a recital! All I can say is that you played immaculately, with sensitivity and perfectly judged rubato

35. Serge88 - Air on the G string

I love this piece and really enjoyed your performance of it.

36. tyschoco - Sonatina in F Major, Op 20 No 3

Fantastic playing of this sonata, especially the outer movements. There’s a lot to this piece; more than I would have expected from a sonatina by an “off-brand” composer.

37. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 2 (Song Without Words Op. 30, No. 6)

Beautiful performance of this well known piece. I greatly enjoyed it.

38. CasualPianist123 - Sonata Op. 40 No. 2, 1st Movt

I had a high opinion of Clementi already, and your performance certain does justice to this excellent composition. I’m glad you played in a Beethovenian spirit. Excellent playing!

39. cygnusdei - Fantasia in C minor, BWV 906

Excellent playing of a very difficult sounding piece.

49. Pathbreaker - Nocturne No. 3 - Op. 33

A beautiful piece, sensitively played. Nice use of dynamic contrasts. Thanks for submitting this.

51. RudolfRSK - Sonetto 47 del Petrarca

Wow! Very well done with a very challenging piece.

52. P Westberg - Bagatelle Op. 119 No. 1

Nicely played! I enjoyed it.

53. Moo smile - Rondo in D K485
This is a challenging piece. Nicely played!

R
R
Thanks to QuasiUnaFantasia, Sam S, Ido, and lilypad for your comments. Thank you Sam S and Ido for pointing out that I squashed the 12th measure (and the other measures where these chords appear). I just never noticed it! I'm now trying to play those measures as Mozart wrote them.

T
T
I have to say i am really enjoying everything i am listening so far!

15. rwsavory - Les Barricades Mysterieuses
Ah some Couperin, glad to hearing something from the baroque period that isn't Bach haha.

You have this piece very well learnt! You play it in the mood and you have the 4 part syncopated coordination relatively mapped out well. For a piece that is that rather challenging, you should be rather proud of what you achieved. My only couple of nitpicks is that, while i like the breathing points and 'arrivals' you are doing at many places in the music, i just feel that the pulse fluctuates a little bit much, making it sound slightly more like a romantic era piece instead of baroque. Other than that, maybe a slightly more moving tempo for whenever you choose to revisit this piece. Great work!

16. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Preludes Op 11, Nos 9 & 17

No. 17: Very very well executed. You keep the dynamic level and tone very appropriate for this and capture the mood of the piece well. Your rubato is done rather naturally without negotiating with the pulse. Deviating from my tendency to critique people on playing too much with the pulse, perhaps take more time for the ending, and if you aren't already doing so, try using the Una Corda pedal on the grand you are playing at the end, you may get a very nice colour doing so!

No. 9: Very well conceived and stable! Your pedaling is very clean throughout and you are making rather good use of rubato. Once again your dynamic control is rather good too. Maybe certain melodic contours could have an inbuilt drive and direction to it and some attention drawn to interesting harmonies in this piece.
Great work!

17. JB_PW (Jen) - Mermaid's Lullaby

A very touching piece and an excellent rendition. Good sense of breathing and rubato and a well conceived touch. You bring out the character of this piece very well. I just wanted to know if you use the Una corda pedal? Just clarifying as i understand that our uprights may not produce a major change in the tone colour using that pedal. A pleasurable listen!

18. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 9 in F minor (BWV 780)

I just completed this invention 3 weeks ago, so its gonna be interesting to hear your rendition of it smile

I see you are taking the slower tempo some performers took, you are using it to great effect. Furthermore, i love that you are following the slur and articulation markings on the (presumably Urtext) score. I can definitely see the effort to bring out the left hand over the right hand where it is appropriate, so i am starting to hear the conservation and theme transfer. So the work you have been putting in with your teacher has been paying off!

My hint here as someone who also played this, if you find the ornaments are causing you trouble, you can afford to either play them slower, or just cut out the ornaments entirely. The ornaments are decorations, so you need only add them in as long as you maintain the beauty of the piece.

But your contrapuntal playing has seen a marked improvement since the last submission, keep up the good work!

Good Job! Generally everything is there, your pedaling is rather clean and it doesn't sound too noisy on the video to me. I like your attempt to change the dynamics and little rubato. Other than the small slip ups in the upward scales, everything is rather polished. Perhaps a little more variation in phrasing and dynamics to keep the listener interested considering how much the themes repeats. But overall it was a enjoyable listen.

22. stevedoz - Dawn

First impressions, really good job with the poly-rhythms! Overall you are playing everything rather clean, you provide natural rubato where appropriate and you voiced out the left hand in the second section rather well. Your control over the dynamics in relation to the texture is rather well done and you bring the character of this piece out very well.

I only really have two comments, the first of which is when the left hand takes over the melody, it could have a little more phrasing and direction. The second, when we get to the 'slightly slower' part, as this contains the height of the emotions in the piece, bring more attention to the harmonic changes especially when and where there are accidentals involved. I will pass on critique related to colour changes and voicing given the inherent limitations of the digital instrument you are playing on.

I have to say, for a first submission this is really impressive, you have conceived the piece rather well and while you may feel its too hard for you, i think you gave a very very respectable product. Please give us more in the next ABF Recital smile

A very nice listen! The piano you are playing on has a beautifully crystal tone and you make very good use of it with your touch. You are very secure in this piece and bring it out well! The balance between the hands is very well managed and your phrasing is also rather well done. My only critique is that you may be using a little too much rubato in certain places causing the pulse to fluctuate quite a bit. I understand you may be using it for expressive effect, but perhaps it could be a little more tamed. Also, consider the use of the Una Corda pedal in certain places (maybe the final section?) to really add some interesting tonal colours to the piece. Great work!

In hindsight, i realize this post has me talking a lot about using the Una Corda lol crazy

Last edited by tyschoco; 11/22/21 08:04 PM.
C
C
MarieJ and Lilypad, thank you for your kind comments.

I'm continuing to enjoy listening through all of the pieces.

21. ranjit - The Madman's Circus
This sounds like a series of separate ideas, each the kernel of a distinct piece. It settles into the kernel of a piece for a while, testing it out, perhaps getting comfortable or playing it out through a progression of a pattern, before moving onto the next idea, possibly connected with the previous, or contrasting with it, or else wholly new. There's a great variety to these musical ideas, and for coming up with them in succession on the spur of the moment, that is quite impressive. I imagine it must be fun to be able to play this way, bouncing from idea to idea. It seems both a talent and a skill, a difficult one to develop, requiring both good technique and a lot of familiarity with repertoire. As a listener, I find myself thinking I'd like to hear just a handful of these kernels more fully developed, and playing off of each other, rather than moving on between so many so quickly. I think this was at its strongest when one of these kernels developed in a more complex way than a repeated pattern, or when it took an unexpected turn. In any case, well done, and thank you for sharing this.

22. stevedoz - Dawn
I agree, this piece has a great gentle sound to it, building and rising slowly and steadily to a crescendo, and then sort of taking a breath and sighing back into relaxation for the finish. Nicely and expressively played; I wouldn't have guessed this was a bit of a stretch piece for you if you had not said so.

This is a pretty piece, with a very clean, contemporary sound to it, and a wistful mood to match the title. Expertly played.

24. vte - Notturno Op 28 No 4
What a nice nocturne, the music has a great flow to it, and seems to capture that feeling of relaxing into an evening or early night so well. Well done, particularly on the middle section with the fast descending notes. Nice phrasing and dynamics throughout. There's a lot of pedal here; does the score call for the pedal to be kept pressed throughout? Also, as you're on a digital piano, have you tried using it to record to a .wav file on a usb drive directly, rather than using your phone? Well done, and thanks for submitting this piece -- I'm glad to have some other early beginners participating in the recital!

25. Purrblast - Invention in C Major (BWV 772)
Really well done, great use of dynamics for separation of the voices. Your performance is polished, and keeps the baroque intricacy of multiple melody lines ticking along like clockwork.

What a fun and jazzy piece -- Vince Guaraldi's music is a huge part of what made those Peanuts specials such classics. I think you've played it really well, and captured the feeling of the music as written.

I've skipped ahead here, in order to hear the Sonata Pathetique in order. Wow, what a first movement, this is really amazing. Right from the famous opening, through development, and all the way to a thunderous finish, your dynamics are so well done. You seem to have so much control through the quick and intricate passages. Your time spent and hard work on this definitely show. I think that for you there is a lot to be proud of here, and as for me, this is fantastic to listen to.

This is probably my favorite movement of this beautiful sonata, and as you mention, one that is widely known and loved. Quite a challenge to step up to, but for that same reason, what great music to aspire to learning, and in your case, succeed in performing beautifully. Fantastic expressiveness here, and a great rendition. My only minor quibbles would be that it is perhaps a faster tempo than I'm accustomed to, and maybe the balance is just a bit heavy on the lower notes. Overall this was a joy to listen to. Honestly, between Flygbladet and yourself, I'm a bit stunned to hear such strong renditions of advanced repertoire like this here. You should be very proud of this performance.

The runs up and down the keyboard, the intentional dissonance of the piece, and the start/stop rhythm make this sound like a rather challenging piece to learn. I imagine it could be very useful to learn modern pieces such as this for the variety they provide in style and technique. As someone who has been around cats a lot, and had a cat for many years, I know how they can get sometimes, crashing through the house when pursuing some foe, real or imagined. Great performance of what sounds like a challenging piece, well done.

This piece is new to me as well. It is just gorgeous, and I'm honestly surprised it is not more widely played an better known. I feel like your expressive liberties taken with tempo, leaning into certain passages, if you will, is masterful, and really brings out the "sentimentality" intended in the composition. Great interpretation, and very well played. I need to seek out some of the recordings you've mentioned, since now I'm curious about this, but this was a wonderful introduction to it.

31. thepianoplayer416 - Christmas Oratorio #2 - Sinfonia in G (BWV248)
Quite impressive, and excellent work transcribing a symphonic piece for the piano. Keeping the feeling of the original, while having so many fewer voices, and obviously, lacking the different tone and timbre of diverse instrumentation, seems like a very challenging task. I rather enjoyed listening to your transcription, and I feel like its symphonic origins are intact, carrying a fullness of sound at the moments where they were in the original. Thank you for sharing your performance of the end result of your transcription work.

32. Pavel.K - Evening Clouds, No.9 from Album de Nina Op. 141
Not a composer I am familiar with. This is a charming piece, and you've played it well. Thanks for your suggestions -- I may seek out some of the composer's pieces suitable for early beginners.

33. jamiecw - Prelude in A Major Op28 No7
Such a beautiful composition, of course, and I really enjoy your gentle, heartfelt interpretation. So much expression packed into a little thumbnail of a prelude. A feeling of yearning, or maybe nostalgia? Very lyrical and bittersweet. Well done, beautifully played.

34. sandalholme - 4 Mazurkas Op24
Your experience definitely shines here -- this is a flawless performance of challenging repertoire. As is the case with masterful playing, you make these sound effortless, like the music is already there, just ready to unfold. I enjoyed these a lot, thank you for sharing them.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Coati
31. thepianoplayer416 - Christmas Oratorio #2 - Sinfonia in G (BWV248)
Quite impressive, and excellent work transcribing a symphonic piece for the piano. Keeping the feeling of the original, while having so many fewer voices, and obviously, lacking the different tone and timbre of diverse instrumentation, seems like a very challenging task. I rather enjoyed listening to your transcription, and I feel like its symphonic origins are intact, carrying a fullness of sound at the moments where they were in the original. Thank you for sharing your performance of the end result of your transcription work.

The original score did not indicate changes in dynamics. A lot of pieces written in Baroque you find solo sections where only the lead instruments like flutes & violins are heard and tutti sections with everybody playing to get variations in dynamics. Unlike an organ (probably the instrument used in 1734 & 1735), a piano can vary dynamics give soft & loud sections more emphasis as well as adding cres. & decres. in between.

An arrangement can sound Baroque or modern. Here you have stacks of notes that form chords when reading vertically & melodic lines when reading horizontally. It's not always possible to play all the notes within the reach of 2 hands so changing certain notes up / down an octave may be needed. When you start adding notes that were not in the original, you get the piece to sound like "Variation on Theme" than a close reproduction. Solo keyboard pieces can be improvised to some extent such as adding ornaments.

F
F
Originally Posted by Talão
19. Talao - Gnossienne No. 1 The Gnossiennes are harder than you think, the score seems easy enough and straight forward when only looking at the scores. Satie also had some odd way of describing how you should play it. “Lost” “as an afterthought” – and stuff like that.
You played it perfectly, but have you thought about his remarks? Can they be incorporated in some way?

Thank you, Flygbladet!! I was unaware of the existence of these descriptions by Satie himself. Thank you for pointing that out. I'll do some research into this and see if there's more that he said about his own pieces. The words "lost" and "afterthought" are not straightforward to me in terms of playing interpretation, but it's a fun exercise to think about how to turn them into a concrete type of touch on the piano.

How sad that the sheet music you used didnt included them.
That's half the fun of playing them - like a silent wink between the pianist and the author. The audiance unaware (and should remaining unaware according to Saties instruction If I remember correctly)
Satie is such a fun character - having bought loads of exactly the same costume. Allways walking around with his umbrella.

It is said that his good friend Debussy once told him that his music lacked form. So he wrote "three pieces in the shape of a pear." That composition has seven pieces not three.
His music is quite diversified and you can find some saloon-pieces too. But it's this quirky bits we love and remember.

So shame on the publicer not including those quirky description in the score smile

Last edited by Flygbladet; 11/23/21 03:57 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So shame on the publicer not including those quirky description in the score smile

You can see the original remarks from Satie in the Henle urtext version, which has all of Gnossiene no. 1 visible:

Go here, and then click on "Look inside" on the left side of the page.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Rachtoven and Coati, many thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed them and also somewhat surprised (and gratified) that they come over as effortless. No 4 was the first time I'd played it through without some horrible errors. It was not free from all errors by any means but I'm happy that they don't get in the way of peoples' enjoyment. Whilst I am dubious about the modern insistence of all the notes being perfectly present and perfectly in order, I admire those who can do it and it would be nice to achieve it occasionally. Personally, however, my aim is to communicate what the music means to me, (even if this is primarily to myself) given that my brain somehow sabotages efforts to get all the notes in perfect order etc. We all know the process of making different errors in different takes! I find sometimes, as with No 4, that when I just sit down to play, no thoughts of making a recording, then the music takes off. One of the advantages of Pianoteq's facility of storing a midi version everything you play ...........

T
T
How sad that the sheet music you used didnt included them.
That's half the fun of playing them - like a silent wink between the pianist and the author. The audiance unaware (and should remaining unaware according to Saties instruction If I remember correctly)
Satie is such a fun character - having bought loads of exactly the same costume. Allways walking around with his umbrella.

It is said that his good friend Debussy once told him that his music lacked form. So he wrote "three pieces in the shape of a pear." That composition has seven pieces not three.
His music is quite diversified and you can find some saloon-pieces too. But it's this quirky bits we love and remember.

Interesting. I have to go check out the "Three pieces in the shape of a pear" set. And saloon pieces? Will look for those too. Thank you.

And thank you, QuasiUnaFantasia for pointing me to a version with the remarks. I'll go translate them into English. My 4 years of middle-school French can understand some, but not all of them.

Talão

Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
T
T
Thank you very much MarieJ and tyschoco for taking the time to listen to my submission and for providing feedback and encouragement!

MarieJ: I'm very happy to hear it was still enjoyable despite the annoying pedal noise. I was so disappointed with that issue and feared it ruined the recording.

tyschoco: You made my day with the "clean pedaling" comment :-) That is one part I sometimes still struggle with (in general) and try not to let things get too "wet" as my teacher says. Especially with the many grace notes in this piece, my teacher said it was important to "clean" them with the pedal so we hear the main note clearly. I fully agree with you that I could have added more variation in dynamics and phrasing. Another suggestion for variation my teacher gave me, which I did not yet implement, was voicing of the chords. Say in one pass voice them more toward the bottom (for a "darkness" effect) and another pass voice them more toward the top. I need to experiment with all of this.

Talão

Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
Online Content
I've enjoyed listening to the submissions over the past week and it's been great learning about composers and pieces that i wasn't familiar with. Thanks to everyone who participated, thanks to everyone who has commented on any of the recital submissions and special thanks to those who commented on my submission. As this was my first ABF recital I really didn't know what to expect!

01. Greta99 - Two Baltic Waltzes -"Tallinn" and "Vilnius" from "Reflections in Waltz"
I enjoyed these. Wasn't familiar with James Welburn. Beautiful playing!

02. QuasiUnaFantasia - 10 pieces for piano, opus 24,7: Andantino
Thank you for the introduction to Sibelius' piano music. Nicely played!

03. PikaPianist - Nocturne Op. 3 No.2
Another composer to get acquainted with. Beautifully played!

04. Sam S - Valse de l'adieu
Thanks Sam for all your work in putting the recitals together. And thanks for the introduction to yet another composer. Nice playing!

05. MarieJ - Berlin Song
I received a playlist of Ludovico Einaudi's music just yesterday. After this introduction I'll have to give it a listen.

10. KevinM - Minuet No. 1 from French Suite in B minor. No. 3
Dream like, airy, and light. Thank you!

13. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Loutky (Puppets), H. 92: No. 3. Columbine
Thanks for sharing this. Nicely played!

16. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Preludes Op 11, Nos 9 & 17
You captured beautiful playing in this contribution. Perhaps I'll work on one of these preludes from Op 11 to see if my appreciation for Scriabin can grow too.

18. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 9 in F minor (BWV 780)
Precise and expressive! I haven't gotten to this invention yet.

It sounds like you enjoyed playing this. Nicely done!

I'm enjoying learning "Kiss the rain" as my second Yiruma piece. Nice playing!

A thoroughly convincing performance. I think your investment of time payed off. Well done!

38. CasualPianist123 - Sonata Op. 40 No. 2, 1st Movt
I enjoyed your performance. Thank you!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cambodia
by PhilipInChina - 01/21/22 12:03 AM
Hey y'all, here's my best solo recording
by An Old Square - 01/20/22 09:44 PM
PSR-E473
by waljbt74 - 01/20/22 09:26 PM
Info on pre 1990s Weinbach? (Petrof)
by monsieur souvlaki - 01/20/22 03:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,271
Posts3,162,699
Members104,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission