2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by mcontraveos
Originally Posted by EssBrace
I know there doesn't seem to be very much love for the CP around here but I love mine. I find it an interesting development that Yamaha should finally concede and offer a Steinway sound.

What is "Steinway" about it other than a suggestion from the city name "Hamburg"?

Some digital piano makers name certain samples as 'Hamburg'. This is clearly a way of saying it is a Steinway sound without using the (copyright protected) Steinway name. So I'd say it is totally obvious that it's a Steinway. Unless you can name another sample-worthy piano maker from Hamburg?

This is big actually. I believe it may be the very first time Yamaha ever implemented a NON Yamaha made/owned piano sound in their digital pianos..
which means that's a turning point. Probably more non Yamaha trademark sounds to follow? in other or future Yamaha products too . Thus, more sound variety for users.

I never played a CP88 but I approve of the product. From What my ears heard, the acoustic piano sounds are pretty good. EPs on there are amazing, organs are obviously crap... rest of the misc. sounds come from the Yamaha Montage AWM engine which I owned for a couple of years and are simply the best "sub" sounds I've heard on a non-workstation stage keyboard (yes Nord, that's right...)

Catch me on YouTube for 200 IQ piano covers, musical trivia quizzes, tutorials, reviews and other fun stuff...
https://www.youtube.com/p1anoyc

Gold Supporter until June  2023

Gold Supporter until June  2023
Oh, man! I went back and forth for a while between the CP88 and P515, and ended up ordering a P515 (still waiting on shipping). I hope this gets released to the P515 as well at some point.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I like the new Hamburg piano. Listening with my HD650s it has a tad more warmth then the CFX. But live I heard it as thinner sounding through my RCF TT-08A speakers. So I used the CFX exclusively on the one recent Jazz Trio gig playing behind a vocalist..

The velocity adjustments are helpful but I still feel the action being not as substantial as the CP4 and P515. Particularity live. Solo at home I'm ok with it and I keep getting more used to it. I most likely will keep the CP88 but I do have about another 30 days left on the return. The CFX sound is night and day better for me over the CP4.

However I'm still pining to try the Nord Grand-- I came here to be talked out of it. Please help in dissuading me. wink laugh

Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I like the new Hamburg piano. Listening with my HD650s it has a tad more warmth then the CFX. But live I heard it as thinner sounding through my RCF TT-08A speakers. So I used the CFX exclusively on the one recent Jazz Trio gig playing behind a vocalist..

The velocity adjustments are helpful but I still feel the action being not as substantial as the CP4 and P515. Particularity live. Solo at home I'm ok with it and I keep getting more used to it. I most likely will keep the CP88 but I do have about another 30 days left on the return. The CFX sound is night and day better for me over the CP4.

However I'm still pining to try the Nord Grand-- I came here to be talked out of it. Please help in dissuading me. wink laugh

Ha,ha. If you like Yamaha, you like Yamaha. And I do. The CF and CFX patches on Yamahas are fantastic, and very very hard to beat. The Shigeru might be good for playing nocturnes, but on a jazz gig you want the CF or CFX. Even Roland can't compete on sound, though Roland actions are the best ones under 2000 euros IMO. I've never played a Nord, but they are so expensive! My P-255 GH action is a bit light too, but I think it's OK for jazz. Anyway I have gotten used to it, and I don't regret keeping my Yamaha, though like you, I considered sending it back because of the light action.

Yamaha P-255 Yamaha P-121 & Yamaha P80
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The P-255 was provided on a jazz jam session I did, once a week, for over a year. I liked it a lot, especially after I talked them into letting me run it in stereo. It sounded like a different instrument then. It sat very nice in the mix with bass and drums. Out front when people sat in, it sounded very believable-- on chords or single note line solos..

All the registers were even sounding too. Something I did not find to be the case with the P-515 sadly.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mcontraveos
I know there doesn't seem to be very much love for the CP around here but I love mine. I find it an interesting development that Yamaha should finally concede and offer a Steinway sound.

What is "Steinway" about it other than a suggestion from the city name "Hamburg"?

Some digital piano makers name certain samples as 'Hamburg'. This is clearly a way of saying it is a Steinway sound without using the (copyright protected) Steinway name. So I'd say it is totally obvious that it's a Steinway. Unless you can name another sample-worthy piano maker from Hamburg?

Ohhh! You'll be angering all those piano builders in Hamburg who possess a trade name other than Steinway . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by peterws

Ohhh! You'll be angering all those piano builders in Hamburg who possess a trade name other than Steinway . . .

Name them Pete.

(Clue: the only active maker in Hamburg is Steinway)

E
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

You know the aggressive attacks will annoy you!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission