2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (almo82, Animisha, Akaitsuki, Baltguy, AndyOnThePiano, anotherscott, 36251, An Old Square, 16 invisible), 821 guests, and 391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kurtmen Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I need some help here:
An acquaintance wants to rebuild his Steinway piano and called me to get some input. To be honest, I don't feel comfortable advising him to restore the piano because the results are unpredictable, but this is not the point of this post.
I told this person that here in California, I have played pianos rebuilt by Dale Erwin and the pianos were good. My "friend" is on the east coast, so I told him that I have never played a rebuilt by Cunningham, but I like the general presence of the company knowing that the owner is visible to the public, involved in the business and they have a good reputation.
My "friend" called me today and told me that he will probably sell his Steinway ASIS. In the search, he found a piano restoration dealer, that according to the salesperson they have been in business for over 100 years family-owned. He was offered a 2006 Steinway Model A for $60,000 (original not restored)
The restoration company offered as part of the deal to buy the piano back in ten years for a full price no questions asked. (by the way, they showed him the piano in a video and sent him a recording which I found for lack of a better word...unconventional or useless)
So, with this policy practically the restoration dealer potentially can be buying pianos back every year for full price. In other words, my "friend" can use this piano for 10 years and return it once this piano is 25 years old and they will send him a check for $60,000

Is anybody familiar with this practice?

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
Money back or store credit? I've never heard of money back. In order to offer money back the store would have to reserve $60k in cash at all times for 10 years, and that's just for that one piano. If true that is unheard of!

A rising tide lifts all the boats

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Sounds like an extremely generous satisfaction guarantee! thumb

Of course, in 10 years 60k will be worth more like 50k, unless inflation is worse than the usual ~2% per year. Not to mention the “fact” that Steinways appreciate in value year after year. So the dealer’s risk diminishes over time. wink

I’m puzzled as to why you mention Dale Erwin, Cunningham, all the stuff about a 100 year old family company and bad videos. Are these oblique hints of some sort?

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
So the dealer’s risk diminishes over time. wink
Hopefully the piano is returned in its original shape after 10 years. "No questions asked", after all 😅

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
The offer described makes no sense to me. It would mean that, in effect, someone could rent a Steinway for ten years for free and their only cost would be any tuning or maintenance.

Online Content
Sounds like a really good sales-pitch to me. And, you'd have to wait 10 years to test the "buy-back" policy, unless the buy-back offer includes anytime from purchase date until the 10 year anniversary.

Maybe some other piano dealers here will chime in, but I've noticed they usually don't discuss their business trade secretes much here. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Th OP is a piano dealer himself. If the restoration company has really been in business for over 100 years there should be info online - or through the grapevine - about them and their business practices. OR the OP could simply call the business himself - on behalf of his acquaintance - explain that he is helping his friend make a decision and ask the dealer to further explain the "deal" to him.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
This sounds like a confused version of the 'TRADE UP' Policy that many Dealers have with Steinways.
Full value trade up of your Steinway, if you trade up to a better model.

Emerson or Lester Upright (1920's)
Westbrook Spinet (1969)
Schomacker Model A (1912)
Steinway Model A (1912)

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
The offer described makes no sense to me. It would mean that, in effect, someone could rent a Steinway for ten years for free and their only cost would be any tuning or maintenance.

I had the same thought, and wondered if there was any way to rationalize or justify it. For example, if perhaps the shop was financing the purchase, then they'd at least earn interest for the duration (a sort of quasi lease). And the piano will have some residual value along the way (even as it depreciates). Or -- since the post is sort of awkward and ambiguous -- if the "As is" sale is actually a trade in credit towards the purchase, on which the rebuilder will earn more profit, so still ideally come out ahead in the aggregate on both pianos.

Anyway, I'm just spitballing because it sounds pretty odd.

How to Upload Pictures

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I agree that it sounds quite odd, to the point of being suspicious. If something sounds too good to be true, it often is.

What kind of purchase contract would the buyer receive? Would all of this be spelled out? What are the "catches" -- i.e., in what contexts would the "buy back" promise be voided?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Perhaps the dealer is planning to exit the business before the end of 10 years, and can make offers like this to close the deal.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Sounds like a really good sales-pitch to me. And, you'd have to wait 10 years to test the "buy-back" policy, unless the buy-back offer includes anytime from purchase date until the 10 year anniversary.

At first pass I thought it meant exactly at the 10 year date too, but the post is oddly worded, resulting in some ambiguity. Farther down it says "buying pianos back every year," so I infer (perhaps incorrectly) that the purchaser could return it at any time for up to ten years.

Originally Posted by Rickster
Maybe some other piano dealers here will chime in, but I've noticed they usually don't discuss their business trade secretes much here. smile

This is a bit ironic, isn't it? A dealer has come to the peanut gallery for help!

If there's any substance to the post, I'm guessing that a potential buyer has claimed that someone on the East Coast is essentially offering this ten year money back guarantee.

This could probably have been as simple as "has anyone heard of a long-established east coast rebuilder offering a ten-year money back guarantee?"

How to Upload Pictures

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
If the restoration company has really been in business for over 100 years there should be info online - or through the grapevine - about them and their business practices.

Exactly! A 100 year old, family owned, rebuilder should be well known. It shouldn't be hard to find a company that fits such a profile (if one exists).

How to Upload Pictures

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by brdwyguy
This sounds like a confused version of the 'TRADE UP' Policy that many Dealers have with Steinways.

I thought about this too. In theory, it's the same: if this were a "trade up" policy, then the dealer would be prepared to give $60k credit towards a different piano. But the reality with a "trade up" policy is that the dealer's cost for the credit is lower than the credit, and the buyer may be paying too much for both the first and second pianos. And with "trade up" the buyer is locked in to the seller, with limited choices, whereas with this "full return" the buyer theoretically walks away with their cash.

How to Upload Pictures

C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
In theory if the dealer can pay taxes in pianos, that could work. Cash, pianos, what's the difference?

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by twocats
Perhaps the dealer is planning to exit the business before the end of 10 years, and can make offers like this to close the deal.

grin ha

I wondered about this too! "Sure, if you want your money back, come find me in Miami!" wink

(On a serious note...)

There's a drive in theater about 45 minutes out in the country from us. We like going once in a while, but have actually gone a lot during the pandemic because it's been nice to get out and see some movies from the "safety" of our car. Sadly, the man who owned it passed away over the Winter, so his family sold out. To the chagrin of the new operators (who bought the equipment and took over the land lease), when they reopened in the Spring they discovered that the previous owner had sold a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of "Groupon" type deals, and oodles of people were expecting to see movies for which he wouldn't receive any revenue! There was some back-and-forth with people online about figuring out a compromise (limit the number per night, or slower days of the week, etc), but people weren't being flexible, so the new operators ultimately just drew a line in the sand and said they wouldn't take any more. They were closed like most businesses at the beginning of the pandemic, and then closed as normal for the winter, so there was a lot of pent up demand. Apparently the "Groupon" deals were sold during the shut down to generate revenue.

The previous guy died, and his family probably wasn't even aware of the presold deals, so I don't think there was any intention of cheating anyone, but the place is a shoestring operation, and it's not viable if the operator can't pay the rent and employee wages.

Anyway, I'm oversimplifying, but there were a lot of upset people! Some folks said that the customers could get their money back from the Groupon-like company, but they didn't want their money--they wanted the too-good-to-be-true deals on tickets and snacks.

How to Upload Pictures

Kurtmen Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you for your replies. Let me clarify, I recommended Cuningham because I don't know any rebuilders on the east coast and I don't think will be a mistake to do so. Here in California relative near is Dale Erwin I know his work is good.
I know the name of the rebuilder and I don't know if PW will delete the thread if I post the name, so I am just trying to be careful. As a dealer for me this is unheard of this is why I am asking if someone is familiar with this practice.
The rebuilder is very visible online (a lot of online advertising, google ads, and blah, blad, blah)

Last edited by Kurtmen; 11/19/21 04:26 PM.

San Mateo Piano
www.sanmateopiano.com
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by brdwyguy

Yes, my Yamaha dealer has this 100% trade in/trade up policy on pianos purchased from them. I got the exact purchase price for my GB1K when I bought the C3. I got the full purchase price as trade in for my C3 when I bought my Estonia. That’s exactly one of the reasons I bought 3 pianos from them. I’m fairly certain I wouldn’t be able to get cash back for a 10 year old piano, even if it was a Steinway.

Last edited by j&j; 11/19/21 04:33 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hmmm, Kurtmen, if there was a hint about the identity of the restorer/dealer in the last line of your post, then the website for that dealer has a very clear trade in/trade up policy but says nothing about a money back guarantee. Are you sure your friend understood what was being offered? That there was no miscommunication?

Kurtmen Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you Sgisela. He said that it will be in writing. I am a piano dealer and this sounds too good to be true. Probably he did not understand.

San Mateo Piano
www.sanmateopiano.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High end speaker v.s. a real sound board
by NavH - 01/20/22 10:33 AM
VST? Get an external DAC.
by Bruce In Philly - 01/20/22 10:19 AM
Vertigo, Pianos, and Earbud Speakers
by ClsscLib - 01/20/22 10:07 AM
Welcome New Members!
by Piano World - 01/20/22 09:53 AM
Memorization: Corea vs. Zhdanov
by Emery Wang - 01/20/22 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,259
Posts3,162,504
Members104,096
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission