2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (anotherscott, 36251, DigitalSpace, ebonyk, DSC, Brendan, David Lai, 13 invisible), 726 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3171910 11/19/21 12:03 PM
T
OP Offline
T
HI guys,

I live in New York. Back in May I ordered an NV5S and I haven't received it yet (and I don't have an expected delivery time). I have now been offered a new NU1X for $7250, inclusive of taxes and delivery. Available immediately. I played it at the store and it felt good, although the sound from the speakers was not as impressive as the NV5S.

it's a bit less than what I agreed to pay for the NV5S, and I know the NV5S is a much newer model.

Question: do you think $7250 is a reasonable price for the NU1X or should I just sit tight and wait (possibly for a very long time!) for the NV5S?

FP-30 -> NU1X
Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/user/ziobert
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I'm in the UK and at the current exchange rate can get an NU1X for approx £4500 which is a further approx $6000 depending on exchange rate, and not allowing for market differences or local availability. Your price sounds high anyway.

You say you have played it, someone else on here posted a new strange bug on their NU1X, play f to ff to fff across several keys one after the other and eventually a key or note sounds soft unexpectedly. This is not, apparently, reproducible on all NU1X's, but might be worth checking.

Maybe search this thread.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 11/19/21 01:20 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
Yes, I checked that and I couldn't reproduce it on the piano they had in store. I seem to remember that had a software fix for this issue a while ago.
The high price remains a concern. He initially asked for 7.7K, went down to 7.2K after I pointed out it seemed to high, but I don't think I have much leverage, as the demand is so high right now.
Perhaps I should just be patient and wait for the NV5S, but my fear is it will take forever to get it...

FP-30 -> NU1X
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In 2021, we see a sharp decrease in availability of used and new hybrid pianos, and some of the better digital pianos. These days, buyers have limited choice and poor leverage.

A quick search shows 2 used hybrids in your area:

- N3 NY $8500 PianoBuyer
- Nu1x NJ $6000 Facebook (listed 8 weeks ago)

Generally, warranties are NOT transferable on USED pianos. Those warranties might be worth 20% of purchase price IMHO.

Generally, the Europeans get better warranties and pricing but that is not relevant for a NYC musician.

No way to predict when the new and used markets will normalize.

You can see some historic used piano adverts posted at PianoWorld but pricing & availability are not relevant today IMHO (well in California there are a few shops that tend to have a good supply of used hybrids):

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3088552/1.html

C
C
I think the Internet discount price is about $6,600. Prices in the spreadsheet and the prices paid thread had about 4 that went for USD (taxes and shipping included) $5,700. $5,230. $5,295. $5,348 Might be prepandemic pricing..

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by total_beginner
...or should I just sit tight and wait (possibly for a very long time!) for the NV5S?
I just called the dealer where I bought my piano, I wanted to try an NV5S or 10S. He said he had one NV5S coming in next week that was already sold and he's been waiting months for it. He doesn't expect any more until sometime next year and they claim to be the largest piano store in Illinois. So you're right, you may wait a long time depending on how lucky your dealer is.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
T
OP Offline
T
Update: my dealer (Allegro's piano) just told me that a supplier of microchips for Kawai has not been able to deliver and Kawai has halted production of most digital models (with the exception of the NV5S and a few others) until the summer. He says he hasn't received a new NV5 since August, including a batch he had ordered back in March. I was second in line in August and I remain second in line...
He also said he doesn't expect any new NV5S this year. He says this has never happened before.

I know it's not his fault, but from my perspective the idea of waiting another 3-4 months is not very appealing.
At the same time, paying $7250 for an NU1X, when it was available for ~6K a few months ago and is an older model compared to the NV5 is also not very appealing...

FP-30 -> NU1X
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Have you considered renting, an acoustic or digital upgrade to the FP30 whilst waiting things out. There may be some price negotiation on your next purchase with Allegro if you rent from them (wishful thinking?).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Japanese chipmaker AKM had a massive fire in 2020 and that bottlenecked a wide range of consumer and industrial goods. That is a key production issue for digital piano makers beyond the shipping debacle in Los Angeles and globally.

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/akm-factory-fire-shakes-up-pro-audio-industry

We are in a high inflation environment, mate. Even after digital piano supply comes back on line, shipping is sorted, and wait lists are served, I would not bet on deflation to 2020 prices. Alas, nobody can predict future pricing.

For reference, used car prices are up 38% this year; I won't tell you how much time we spent finding a decent used car this summer (which was priced about 40% above 2020 pricing).

With that backdrop, $7k including high cost of NYC delivery & sales taxes is not a bad deal IMHO. What's the alternative?

https://www.axios.com/used-car-market-prices-dbea46f6-f8b3-42fe-b972-ece6c0f96de1.html

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by newer player
Japanese chipmaker AKM had a massive fire in 2020 and that bottlenecked a wide range of consumer and industrial goods. That is a key production issue for digital piano makers beyond the shipping debacle in Los Angeles and globally.
Yes, a previous thread about the NV10 identified several AKM chips used in the NV10. I'm starting to wonder if all the things that seem to be going off the rails in the world are some kind or Murphy's Law thing, or if the news coverage is just so good we can now connect all the dots that affect our lives.

Last edited by MarkL; 11/20/21 01:48 PM.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
J
J
I would say that $7250 is a reasonable price compared to internet prices since it also includes tax and delivery. That being said, you should shop around for a better deal. My local store quoted $6300 + tax with free delivery. They were not willing to negotiate, so I walked away. I checked with another dealer online who quoted me $5800 total. Then I checked with another dealer two hours away who offered $5000 out the door. Needless to say, I went with the last dealer. This was about three months ago.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
6 Pin DIN connector for Williams sustain pedal?
by emaydeoh - 05/25/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,235
Posts3,194,506
Members105,373
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission