2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (BillS728, Anglagard44, alexii, Bruce In Philly, brennbaer, anotherscott, BMKE, arlie, 14 invisible), 737 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3171747 11/18/21 07:09 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi

My wife has just recorded this for our kids (future memories etc) and was wondering what the general consensus is on the video style, playing style, recording, performance and interpretation

Helen Clarke piano video

Thanks in advance. Constructive criticism is welcomed and will help us make it better next time as this is only her second video.

Regards

John

O
O
What do I think ? I think this may well be spam:- quote from Youtube page

"Helen Clarke professional pianist based in the UK. Renowned Classically trained pianist performing covers of pop, rock, shows, piano music and original songs. Resident pianist of the Petwood Hotel, playing worldwide. Relaxing emotive piano ballads played with Helen’s unique style."

Only her second video sure..... there are 8 on her youtube page alone.

I apologise if I am misreading the situation but honestly it doesn't ring true!

Last edited by Oztack; 11/18/21 10:03 PM.

OzTack
Australia

Novice pianist
Yamaha C2x Grand
Roland FP-30 digital
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I watched and listened to your wife's YT music video and she plays very well. The digital piano sounded great, and the video quality was good. My Casio digital doesn't sound nearly as good.

I liked the outdoor scenery. Is that Scotland? Northern England?

I don't have any constructive criticism cause I can't play nearly that well. smile

You might also post to the Pianist's Corner, and the Pianist Corner, Non-Classical sub forums here on PW. Also, you could post your video on the Piano teacher's forum and likely get some constructive feedback like you mentioned.

Welcome to Piano World!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Looks like self promotion to me, those you tube clicks do ad up.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
I agree it seems like spam / self promotion, just from the deliberate clickbait title of this thread and the fact it's the poster's first post.
When I see the name 'Helen Clark(e)', I think of the former New Zealand prime minister:
[Linked Image]
Perhaps a stage name might be in order. wink

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ
I agree it seems like spam / self promotion, just from the deliberate clickbait title of this thread and the fact it's the poster's first post.
[...]

Self-promotion may well be the case for this OP's first post. In any event I find the visual a little distracting; there are too many different clips from different angles without any visual transition. The video content strikes me as being composed of too many short "snippets" pieced together, which I guess it actually is.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]

Self-promotion may well be the case for this OP's first post. In any event I find the visual a little distracting; there are too many different clips from different angles without any visual transition. The video content strikes me as being composed of too many short "snippets" pieced together, which I guess it actually is.

Regards,

You may be right about the self promotion, Bruce, along with Oztack, Learux, and Ben_NZ.

I try to see the best in people, especially new members here on PW, hence my polite and generous response.

And, when Oztack mentioned the additional music videos on YT, and the OP's statement that this was only their second video, suddenly their credibility was in question. But I got to thinking, this could very well be their second video, and the others followed. Again, I try to see the best in others.

As for the video recorded with a drone flying over the pianists, I thought it was pretty cool, although you could see the shadow of the drone a times. And, I do like to see the remains and relics of old, medieval castles, or any castles. I like old castles. smile

But I'll admit, the video doesn't look like it was recorded by a novice, and the pianist was certainly no beginner.

If they want to make real money on YouTube, they will need more music videos and a LOT more views than they will get here on PW.

I wish Ms. Helen Clarke, and associates, well.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Honestly, if you want to be a Youtube star you either have to be extremely talented, extremely click-baity, or extremely sexy, there is no in-between!

(Not kidding on the third category - there are women who play pianos in their skivvies, who have hundreds of thousands of subscribers. I'd post a link but I'm afraid it's strictly PG-13!)

A rising tide lifts all the boats
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Honestly, if you want to be a Youtube star you either have to be extremely talented, extremely click-baity, or extremely sexy, there is no in-between!
Which one of those is Rickster? He's up to 7.5 million views. wink
I know what you mean though. Brendan Kavanagh only started having success after trying clickbait videos where he'd dress up as a construction worker etc.
Young female pianists like Gamazda seem to know they have certain advantages to supplement their musical talent.

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7
Online Content
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Which one of those is Rickster? He's up to 7.5 million views. wink
I know what you mean though. Brendan Kavanagh only started having success after trying clickbait videos where he'd dress up as a construction worker etc.
Young female pianists like Gamazda seem to know they have certain advantages to supplement their musical talent.

Gee, thanks for the honorable mention, Ben_NZ! smile

But I can assure you that I'm not extremely talented, clickbaity, or extremely sexy. Heck, I'm not even just plain sexy (okay, maybe a little). smile

I do, however, think that my music videos on YT are original, genuine, wholesome, and somewhat different from the norm. I think my subscribers like the originality more than anything, and they really like my "Boogie-Woogie". But I can't play boogie-woogie nearly as well as Brendan Kavanagh. He is a superb entertainer/piano player, and I love to watch his videos.

Of course, I try not to brag or boast too much, and I know better than to use PW for the purpose of self promotion. Although I've probably done it before, as has other members, whether intentional or not.

Rick

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questions regarding Regulation
by rickshapiro - 05/23/22 11:17 AM
Laptop Holder Advice - Korg Grandstage
by skelly - 05/23/22 11:09 AM
A fairly rare digital sensor mechanism
by Gombessa - 05/22/22 10:59 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,191
Posts3,193,862
Members105,345
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission