2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (busa, 80k, Carey, CraiginNZ, Bebe1980, Deltajockey, Burkhard, David B, Bett, 6 invisible), 4,487 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 23 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I love cole porter…this piece looks doable, but I can’t get distracted 🤣. I often play pieces ‘cold’ and see where they land. I am not memorizing, but it focuses on bars to quarantine later for practice. I am also adopting new practice know.edge from the Art of Practicing, which blends nicely with my yoga practice… play with relaxed body. Often, I get tense when I get frustrated with practicing quarantined bars…and now I am going in with ‘joy’ and relaxed mind. I have mental block with playing fast tempo pieces, and this is what I am working on for rest of the year…allowing my body to get to that speed rather than forcing it with unrealistic expectations/timeline.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Oleg Vostyakov
Billy Joel's- New York State Of Mind! Beautiful masterpiece! Immortal song! I'm not a professional player, but this song I can play well!

Hal Leanard publishes a note for note transcriptions of Billy Joel’s music including NY State of Mind.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Wayne, I played the Gillock piece. This is my first Gillock as well. Very beautiful piece with a coda like section. A friend of mine loves his music. Now I know why.

Jethro, you read my mind. I was wondering if there is a score for New York State of mind. Thank you.

I practiced Bach, Mendelssohn and Mozart pieces for tomorrow - my studio class.
Staring at Bach piece gave me headache. I was trying to bring out different voices. I go to bed now. You all have a wonderful weekend.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Today was my studio class as the community college. I made a few mistakes in the Mozart piece. I mixed up the first and second movement for very similar runs. I focused on too much on Bach. Compared with b flat minor Bach prelude, Mozart one is much easier piece. I cannot believe I screwed up. I worked hard at nit. I did backward practice with those runs with metronome. Anyway that’s why studio is good for us. They force us to perform pieces when we are still learning to get up used to performance and identify weak spots. I love Mendelssohn variations but they are hard. I would like to play some of it for Piano club Christmas party.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Nicely done Farmgirl. Brave too imho. I thought of joining a local piano meet then chickened out. That said, the exams are keeping me on my toes. Love Mendelssohn.. I have tackled song without words opus 19 No6.

I was assigned Bach’s Prelude in C minor [BWV 999], as part of my fast tempo regiment. My teacher loves Bach and has had me working through the inventions, never got to the required speed, looking more for tempo and musicality. However, this time - we are working up to nail the speed.

I am nervous, but silently confident as passing the various exams have given me an inner confidence of ‘yes you can, if you stay the course without rushing it’. Here’s to day 2.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
A Bach chorale…

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Thepianoplayer416, Bach corals is beautiful. Fitting for Sunday.

I worked on Mozart since I will be playing this on this coming Thursday.
Many people said the same but I repeat it again. Mozart pieces are pain in the butt. It’s easy to approach but not easy to execute it decently.
Everything has to be perfect. In order to create bell like beauty and sense of rest and grace, we struggle. It must be nearly perfect. It’s a bugger. But I had a couple of successes today. My effort to play it in front of others on Saturday paid off.

If I play poorly in my lesson on Wednesday, my teacher may tell me to hold off. So, would I give it up? I worked hard at it. No Way!!!! I will get it done by Thursday.
I fortunately developed thick skins over the years.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I went to Monday studio class (studio’s are on Mon and Sat). My teacher said that Mozart got a lot better. I asked her if I should hold off playing at our monthly piano class event. She said “no” and “I will teach you some quick trick to overcome the issue on Wednesday. Until then continue to work with metronome”. Well, in that case , I will just do that.

We had interesting discussions on Mozart pieces. His pieces appears to be very approachable but it is very hard to play well. It has to be strict in time, execution and shows all the finesse the pianist may or may not have. She mentioned that the newly hired (very famous) professor of the largest state university here make students play mozart first. Yeah, I’m feeling it every day.😢😢😂. Cannot wait to go back to Beethoven.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm slowly going gaining fluidity in left hand of Schumann's Praeludium from Bunte Blätter, Op.99. This is a great piece, getting slightly out of my comfort zone in several aspects.

Here's how Maria João Pires plays it (I'm of course nowhere near, and my target tempo is also quite below hers):

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Mati
What a great piece!
It moved my heart.
The effort you have to put in this piece to execute difficult passages will be totally worth it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hope so! :-) It was really intimidating at first, but after a while it happens to be very comfortable to play, even though I have relatively small hands and there are several stretches and jumps. It's by no means easy, but very pianistic and rather not awkward. Maybe I'll be able to have it ready for the next recital, let's see.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
D
DPC Offline
D
Today I made some good progress on Schubert's Moment Musical No 3 in F Minor. It's been a good piece for me -- attainable, but also pushing me on a few weak areas. Getting better at the left hand jumps without staring at my hands, some awkward (for me) thirds, and figuring out workarounds for a chord that's a bit out of reach.

Also brushed off John Field's Nocturne in Eb Major, which I played for a recital just before stopping lessons due to covid. A nice dreamy, flowing piece!

Last edited by DPC; 11/17/21 11:53 PM.
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
DPC - Moments musical pieces are beautiful, I love #3. I have to listen to the John Field’s nocturne.

Mati, next recital! I cannot wait to hear it.

I found a really beautiful music. It sounds fabulous and not so bad to play. I mean it’s not like Rachmaninoff (so many notes!). Faure’s op 84 number 5. Improvisation. According to youtube it’s an ABRSM grade 7. Lovely piece.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Started playing Christmas music again. Rudolph song (with deer?)
and Christmas tree. I got piano music for Christmas. Fun!

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Johan B, wherever you are, I will try to keep up with your thread that you started.

I’m actually in the middle of the practice and taking carrot joined break.

I did lots of reading new materials. Started reading the fugue part of the WTC b minor Prelude and Fugue. Boy o boy! What laborious reading. So many held notes. But the prelude sounds much better now. I brought up different voices and highlighted the imitations (patterns?). It’s fun now. Looking forward to show it to my teacher tomorrow. For Mendelssohn, I’m trying different fingerings for Variations serieuses. Now I’m gonna have fun with nutcracker dance of the Andy fairy. Enjoy good practice night everyone.

Hi FarmGirl,.......and other beloved members......

I'am still alive...... grin grin Thank you for your sympathize and for continuing the thread..........

I know I was not here for long time....lets's say some mental things..... cry sick......

Today I looked up the Sonatas of papa Haydn, played some parts.....the routine had sunk deep.....I have to work on it....

I wonder if everybody is already polishing their Xmas - music......

Kind regards,
Johan B

......what did you play today......?

Last edited by Johan B; 12/16/21 02:57 PM.

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

Told you yesterday about Papa Haydn, this morning played nearly this whole book……had to switch from baroque, which I usually play, to rococo/classicism....but it's lovely...... 3hearts 3hearts
Haydn, sonatas

And there is more grin
More Haydn…..

Kind regards, and just play the keys today…..🎹🎶🎹👋👋
Johan B

……what did you play today…..?

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Today, I played "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" in the arrangement by Dan Coates. I can recommend, it is the best piano transcription of this song I have found so far.

M
M
Mozart Sonata v 280 in F major. Medium level difficulty. My first Mozart really, after a lot of Bach. Composed when he was les than 20. The middle movement in F minor is on par with the best of his late works IMO.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
"Jingle around the clock... Mix and a mingle in the jingling feet, that's the Jingle Bell Rock..."

The holidays is just around the corner, have fun...

W
W
This is great fun- on YT if you want to listen first
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 18 of 23 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
Happy 4th!
Happy 4th of July
Happy 4th!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chord help
by Moo :) - 07/05/22 02:18 AM
Yamaha U3 or equivalent upright
by Tom Ryshka - 07/05/22 01:35 AM
A comparison of two very different pianos!
by Joseph Fleetwood - 07/04/22 02:17 PM
Home Studio Recordings on Bosendorfer 225
by James Gordon - 07/04/22 01:39 PM
Looking for good online piano course for beginner
by mwsheeler - 07/04/22 12:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,804
Posts3,205,429
Members105,714
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission