2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, 15 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Either gloss black or a wood custom matched to (or specifically toning well with) the dark oak flooring it stands on.

D
D
I love Macassar ebony. I also love pyramid mahogany. After that would be flame (or ribbon) red mahogany - which is the finish I plan for my restoration project, eventually.

Dave In Denver
1916 Weber FR 6' Duo Art
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
It appears that you were incorrect about the top makers using some wood that is not correctly classified as rosewood but claiming their pianos have a rosewood veneer. At least according to one poster on the thread who appears knowledgeable said you were incorrect about saying Pallisander is not real rosewood.[/quote pianoloverus]

I never even used the word verneer I said the wood is a slither of wood and by the way I never mentioned any brand except the example of the Colard piano for sale link which I said sounded like a bargain.I say again I never mentioned any high end brands.The Palisandef Rosewood is probably from Madagascar.It is actually mentioned under the CITES and is protected.It is a poor comparison to the Brazialian Rosewood which is definitely banned.Please look up "CITES wood" This is a tiresome subject, if the piano plays wonderful and looks beautiful who on earth is going to care. 🤪 The glorious looking Brazilian rosewood is banned.I never said manufacturers should not use other wood that simulate the Brazilian Rosewood.In fact it is good that they do.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
I heard about Homestyler on another thread, so what better way to experiment than with piano colors? Anyway, totally agree that ideally piano color and decor should be coordinated (that is, for people who have the budget for both a piano and home decorating 😋). If your home decor has soft colors, a black piano creates contrast with the surroundings, but a white piano would blend with the surroundings. IMO a white piano in such an environment is quite elegant, I'm a fan!

PS: Excuse the all white keys in the white piano. Changing the color apparently also changes the black keys.

[Linked Image]

Wow, that's fun! I want to try that with my piano room!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Here Rosewood and Rosewood, but still beautifull Rosewood

https://www.woodshopnews.com/.amp/news/rosewood-substitutes-are-just-as-good

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RobAC
For me, black is the ultimate piano color, and I prefer high gloss, which is exactly what I have!

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn....102a0f192fab179f049ea5f8&oe=61B94920

Rob, is that your piano and room? It's gorgeous! I like the artwork too, it complements the wall and piano, or rather all complement each other nicely!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
How about transparent??

Joseph

"If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment."
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BWV846
How about transparent??
I think at this moment I could do with a gorgeous transparent piano and a grande double strong coffee. 😉

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by tre corda
It appears that you were incorrect about the top makers using some wood that is not correctly classified as rosewood but claiming their pianos have a rosewood veneer. At least according to one poster on the thread who appears knowledgeable said you were incorrect about saying Pallisander is not real rosewood.[/quote pianoloverus]

I never even used the word verneer I said the wood is a slither of wood and by the way I never mentioned any brand except the example of the Colard piano for sale link which I said sounded like a bargain.I say again I never mentioned any high end brands.The Palisandef Rosewood is probably from Madagascar.It is actually mentioned under the CITES and is protected.It is a poor comparison to the Brazialian Rosewood which is definitely banned.Please look up "CITES wood" This is a tiresome subject, if the piano plays wonderful and looks beautiful who on earth is going to care. 🤪 The glorious looking Brazilian rosewood is banned.I never said manufacturers should not use other wood that simulate the Brazilian Rosewood.In fact it is good that they do.
1. You were the one that started the topic about "real" rosewood when you said
"I think they use other wood some from South America to replicate rosewood.I know Palisander Roswood is one.Apart from that there are other types of wood that they also call "Rosewood"(but are not real Rosewood)"
although now you say "who is going to care".
2. In your last post, you changed what you said earlier by speaking specifically about one type of rosewood, Brazilian rosewood. But as the Wiki article you mentioned earlier shows, there are around twenty types of genuine rosewood. IOW it's incorrect to consider only Brazilian rosewood as real rosewood which is what you seem to be doing.
3. You said you never used the word veneer but that you mentioned a slither of wood. What you call a slither of wood is called veneer.
4. According to one poster on this thread Palisander rosewood is not some "poor comparison" so I think that's your personal opinion.
5. I mentioned top brands producing rosewood pianos as an example showing your comment that I quoted in #1 was false.

My last post on this topic.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Pianoloverus
I am not a Rosewood expert, like many here my knowledge of different wood is scant at best. However according to a friend of mine she could not move an item out of her country because it was Rosewood.I then became interested in a different types of furniture which was also called Rosewood.I then found out it was Palisander Rosewood, which is also very attractive.I am sure you do not need me to continue with story..

From the link provided above it seems I was not the only one who thought Palisander Rosewood (Madagascar Rosewood?)
is not the "real" Rosewood most people thought of as Rosewood.(thinking historically)

Regarding wood finish and veneers I admit I was confused by the subject.What I have heard is that only a slither of wood finish is used for pianos.No one I am sure expects a whole inch of Mahogany (to escape from "Rosewood") over MDF or plywood surely.What I believe is that it is probably 5 or less mm and I could be wrong.What I did say is that few "normal" people would want a certificate to say that this is a genuine XXXXXXX wood finish on this piano.I know I would not!!!
If it's a beautiful piano and the dealer says it has a Rosewood finish why would I worry if it's this type of Dalgergia or that?
Whatever you say I never mentioned any particular brand at all.Your point by point assessment of what I said is out of context and unfortunate.

R
R
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Originally Posted by RobAC
For me, black is the ultimate piano color, and I prefer high gloss, which is exactly what I have!

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn....102a0f192fab179f049ea5f8&oe=61B94920

Rob, is that your piano and room? It's gorgeous! I like the artwork too, it complements the wall and piano, or rather all complement each other nicely!

Yes. I'm glad you like it!

Yamaha S4
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
How about transparent??
Very stylish!

[Linked Image]

A rising tide lifts all the boats
How about transparent??
Very stylish!

[Linked Image]

A plexiglass piano?

Naw, not me, I want a piano I can see
Black, or red, or even white will do
But not a piano I can see clean through
No siree, not me, not even for free

Okay, well, yea, for free I'd take it, but I dang sure wouldn't pay my hard earned money for it...

I know I said earlier that when I play the piano I look at the keyboard, and not the piano finish, but everything has it limits. By the way, where is middle C on that thing? smile

Just kidding! smile

Get the piano color you like best
If not, get the one that passes the test
Does it sound good, and play well?
That is most important, as far as I can tell

How about a black one, or red, or white, or wood?
It doesn't really matter to me, as long as it sounds and plays good
But a plexiglass piano is just not for me
I want one that I can at least see, and not see clean through...

Sorry, feeling a little feisty this evening and just havin' a little fun. smile
But a plexiglass piano? Makes me want to run away from that thang, with no color at all.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
C
How about transparent??
Very stylish!

[Linked Image]

Reminds me of this Schimmel I saw in Shanghai.

[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
How about transparent??
Very stylish!

[Linked Image]

A plexiglass piano?

Okay, well, yea, for free I'd take it, but I dang sure wouldn't pay my hard earned money for it...

I know I said earlier that when I play the piano I look at the keyboard, and not the piano finish, but everything has it limits. By the way, where is middle C on that thing? smile

Just kidding! smile

But a plexiglass piano? Makes me want to run away from that thang, with no color at all.

Rick
😁
I love your poem Rick! I think you have a healthy philosophy of life and pianos!

Actually that piano really,really looks so good in that room cygnusdei.It seems to take on the pastel colours of the whole
room.I think it seems to give off a pastel, almost..a ros...
🤪 If I had a room like that I may just.....no I think I, like Rick am too conservative, still it looks wonderful there!

Originally Posted by tre corda
How about transparent??
Very stylish!

[Linked Image]

A plexiglass piano?

Just kidding! smile

Rick
😁
I love your poem Rick! I think you have a healthy philosophy of life and pianos!

Actually that piano really,really looks so good in that room cygnusdei.It seems to take on the pastel colours of the whole
room.I think it seems to give off a pastel, almost..a ros...
🤪 If I had a room like that I may just.....no I think I, like Rick am too conservative, still it looks wonderful there!

Thanks for the kind words, Mrs. tre corda!

Seriously, the plexiglass piano is interesting, and intriguing, albeit more of an oddity or a novelty. They are certainly unusual for those who like unusual things.

Not sure, but I think they are quite expensive, and much more so than traditional pianos, made of wood with traditional finishes, whatever that finish may be. I've never seen one (a piano with a plexiglass cabinet) in real life, but have seen photos of them, such as the one posted here.

Oh, and cygnusdei, I certainly meant no diss whatsoever toward your photo and post of the piano with the plexiglass cabinet. It was an interesting conversation piece!

Actually, I don't think I'd go too far out of my way to see one in real life. And, I mean no disrespect to those here who own one.

Any PW members here own a piano with a full plexiglass cabinet? If so, I wish you well and hope yo enjoy it! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Oh, and cygnusdei, I certainly meant no diss whatsoever toward your photo and post of the piano with the plexiglass cabinet. It was an interesting conversation piece!

If you don't like plexiglass, there is another transparent material for piano 😄

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
I’m on record many times as saying I like a wood grained veneer!
Black is ok. White even works with the right decor, but I prefer an off-white or alabaster to Frigidaire white.
Don’t think I’d ever want red at home.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
I think I wouldn't mind a transparent piano - from what I've seen (not in real life), some of them in fact look elegant in a minimalist/futuristic kind of way. But if they have colorful LED lights, I'm outta here 🙄

S
S
If I had the space:

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission