2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (bluebilly, 36251, An Old Square, Bebe1980, Abdol, andrewlapp, brdwyguy, 20 invisible), 1,223 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 42 of 45 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 45
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Lx20
Thought I'd contribute to this thread as it is getting buried and I am slowly plunking along. Right now, I'm at week 25. I have seemed to have gone even slower. But that's okay, with life's busyness, it fits in - and is more relaxing I think (while still putting in the time). Anyway, I did appreciate looking at all the posts, the conversations, etc. - it made me revisit the course. So just finished "Man on the Flying Trapeze"

Nice!

Love the different styles. Duane would call the second version "playful" with the added syncopation.

The repetition and volume of songs covered in the course enables the student to really develop the techniques taught by Duane. Keep up the good work. Keep posting videos.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
L
L
Originally Posted by David B
I'm currently on lesson 19, but here is song from lesson 17 (Sweet Rosie O'Grady), which was the hardest song for me to learn so far in this course. It's even harder than the songs in lesson 18 and 19. Duane introduced several new arrangement techniques that were new to me. I'm not able to do them all e.g., multiple octave runs, but I do what I can. Duane doesn't expect us to learn everything perfectly, but to be aware of what is possible while slowly adding to our arrangement techniques.

In the video below I'll play the song once through the way it's written in the lesson book and then the way Duane arranged it. I don't play it perfectly and I don't think it's a song I'm going to continue to practice, but it was necessary to learn since it's the only song Duane covered in lesson 17 and we have to get comfortable with the techniques before moving on.

God Bless,
David

I'm currently working on "Jingle Bells" .... but in the meantime, decided to post this older video. I referenced David B's one - just for fun. It's neat to see how we both approached the song differently. It's really fun to watch. In doing so, it might also be good for any of us here that are attempting the course or who have maybe even have done it and want to see different outputs of the same song. Anyway, this is the first song from the course I recorded, way back when in January 2021. I remember being excited to get to this point - probably seeing the discussion on this forum and also watching David play it before I even reached lesson17. This song definitely was a doozy. It took a long time to get to this point. I remember it even felt impossible at first. But it's good nostalgic memories. Anyway, I also remember only being interested in playing Duane's instructional arrangement (not necessarily as written). I changed my mind maybe 2 or 3 songs later. But it's true, this is an epic point and epic song in this course.

Last edited by Lx20; 09/10/21 05:57 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Nice! Lesson 17 was one of the milestones in the course. I think there was one only one song covered in that lesson which is unusual. Jingle bells was also fun. I think it was a the first foray into Jazz style.

I'm glad you are posting videos. I wish you were doing the course back when I was because it would have been very encouraging and motivating to share in the experience together. This is a challenging course to attempt alone. Keep up the good work.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
L
L
David B - thank you for your wonderful comments. Hmmm ... what was I doing while you were attacking this in ~2018. That might have been the year I actually took off from playing piano. This course was probably in one of my bins sitting idly, probably with no intention of mine to try to attempt it. I think I am at a better headspace to attack/progress this course now. This thread, along with your video progress, definitely was motivating and exciting to see (even until now).

Here is my attempt at Jingle Bells (the other song in week 25). This took about 2-3 weeks to get to the arranged point. I did record the written version, but I made a whoopsie of an error on the transition (lol). But I didn't feel the need to correct it. As for the arranged version, the music says to play it allegro. So, that was my goal - along with some playful elements in there.

But wow, for week 25, it has taken about 1 month - with work and all. But both songs were fun and keep me entertained and had me working on something. I feel as long a I am not trying to say, finish a week in a week, I should be fun. Trying to enjoy the process more than anything. Recording is another issue in itself - all the stress and anxiety that comes with it. But it is fun to review later and also to track progress. Also, not sure I like this angle. lol. But definitely was not going to redo it!

I will say, this was one song I was excited to get to try as David B did make his version seem very exciting! (it's on page 14 of this thread)

Anyway, here's my attempt at Week 25's "Jingle Bells"

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Bravo!

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
But wow, for week 25, it has taken about 1 month - with work and all. But both songs were fun and keep me entertained and had me working on something. I feel as long a I am not trying to say, finish a week in a week, I should be fun.

Yeah, it took me a like a month to complete lesson 25 also. I was much happier once I gave up trying to finish the course in timely manner. The level of satisfaction was greater when I determined that my advancement through the course would be governed by my ability to absorb the material being taught.

What's the point of completing the course in one year (52 weeks) if you never become proficient in the techniques being taught? It took me 3.5 years to complete the course, but I understand and can utilize (to my personal degree of satisfaction) everything Duane taught in the course.

Keep up the good work. You're halfway home.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Does anyone has a guide or an index of the course in order to find where DS introduces every element of the course (broken chords, Alberti bass, parallel walk-up, triplets...)
I know he keeps repeating and explaining, but as you move on you sometimes forget some of the basics and need to review them.
I'm stuck in the middle of Lesson 13 - LH so far so good, it will improve with time and practice - and I do not know how to implement RH triplets (I Can't Tell Why I Love You) even though his explanation.
I guess I would have to go back and review previous lessons, but maybe some of you are tidier and more methodic and could help me through this little adventure.
Or just explain to me how to go about those RH triplet things.

Thank you and happy October.

I

Last edited by Sol Finker; 10/03/21 11:26 AM. Reason: grammar

Jaime CLP-645 frown
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
L
Hi Sol Finker!

I went and listened to that lesson. I think you're referring to the song that makes up the bulk of that lesson?

Anyway, the song is in 4/4 time - so 4 beats per measure.

What he is doing in his right hand is playing the whole beat on Beats 1, 3 and 4. Then he is tripeletizing the 2nd (with chords in both hands).

So, if you isolate what you are doing for each beat, it would look like

1: hit and hold for one beat
2: trip-uh-let (fit 3 hits for that one beat)
3: hit and hold for one beat
4: hit and hold for one beat

With triplets - it's good to say: trip-uh-let as you play them. lol

Hopefully that answers your right hand triplet question.

As for a document where he introduces concepts, I believe someone made a write up prior. If I find it, I can try to upload it.

Good luck!

L
L
Whoops, I may have looked at the wrong week, but generally, those are how triplets worked. Hopefully what he did in lesson 13 wasn't too much different or wild.

D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
There is a detailed course syllabus with a lesson by lesson summary on Duane's website

https://playpiano.com/product/1-year-crash-course-dvd-1-52

Just scroll down to the description and "click to to view the crash course syllabus."

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Whoops, I may have looked at the wrong week, but generally, those are how triplets worked. Hopefully what he did in lesson 13 wasn't too much different or wild.
Thank you.
I think I have it (supersloooow)
Originally Posted by David B
There is a detailed course syllabus with a lesson by lesson summary on Duane's website

https://playpiano.com/product/1-year-crash-course-dvd-1-52

Just scroll down to the description and "click to to view the crash course syllabus."

God Bless,
David
Thank you

Jaime CLP-645 frown
L
L
I'm ready for another progress video as I am ready to move on. This one was "Vienna Life Waltz." This one is the song of runs I would say - so I made that my emphasis. But that wasn't the only thing. Duane also suggested we try and ascending left hand pattern with the potential to alternate bass notes. Yep, the latter part was not possible, at this time, for my brain to process.

Some things to note: The runs! They felt impossible. Even after practicing them for week or weeks. I would say I broke down a run to like a week (so 1 run per week). There were 3 different ones. Then even after that, you still have to work at it .... because it just doesn't sound right. And then, when I thought I had it, it sounded likes something was going on with my left hand. lol. It really is a lot for the brain to process. So I noticed that when I could feel a rhythm or pattern with the beat, it tended to help.

I want to say I worked on this song for maybe 5-6 weeks. The written score is not that difficult - therefore I didn't put too much emphasis there. But the alternative arrangement - lots to work on! I would say nothing brand new per se, but it was a different focus from the recent previous "weeks."

There were times where I was feeling dejected with the runs but kept on plunking at it and eventually it sounded okay. The arrangement I swear went through lots of alterations. I would say I took the path of least resistance initially, but that didn't work out ... and then there were different things to try (and put together) here and there. So for this, I would say, it took a lot of coordination with left hand, right hand and brain in what was initially in this progress video. It's not perfect. Like David B (p15 is where I found his rendition), I also did this at 80 bpm. At this point, I feel like it's the best I can do (even though I had a whoopsie in there) and I really just want to move on to the next lesson already. It's just really neat how if you go at it, Duane demonstrates and suggests things ... but you can get a different product when you practice. Of course no one can compare to him because he was just so awesome! So glad he shared his knowledge in this format.

So, here's my latest, best attempt I could record of one of week 26's songs:

Happy practicing all!

Last edited by Lx20; 10/16/21 04:35 PM.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I'm ready for another progress video as I am ready to move on. This one was "Vienna Life Waltz." This one is the song of runs I would say - so I made that my emphasis.

Happy practicing all!

That’s excellent LX20. Your runs are so smooth and articulate. Sounds like a harp. Well done.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
I'm ready for another progress video as I am ready to move on.
Thank you. It's inspiring.

Duane also suggested we try and ascending left hand pattern with the potential to alternate bass notes. Yep, the latter part was not possible, at this time, for my brain to process.

Up to now, if I am using whatever fillings with the right hand, my left one is not able to perform anything but a very simple swing bass. Otherwise, I can perform the walk-ups and walk-downs from C to G, C to A, F to C, and little more. But I can't do them if I'm trying to do the 2-1's or the runs.

It really is a lot for the brain to process.
I guess one has to automatize a lot of things in order not to think too much.
Happy practicing all!
Thank you.

Last edited by Sol Finker; 10/17/21 01:27 AM.

Jaime CLP-645 frown
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm ready for another progress video as I am ready to move on. This one was "Vienna Life Waltz." This one is the song of runs I would say - so I made that my emphasis.

That's such a fun song. I haven't heard it since I did that lesson. I'm inspired to go back and visit that song.

The beautiful thing about this course is you'll have more opportunities to practice these techniques as you progress through the lessons. The hard work you put in on this lesson will payoff down the road. It's worth the effort. You'll see. Keep up the good work.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
L
L
It's so wonderful to have a place to dialogue - especially for those of us involved or who were involved or are just curious about the course.

WBLynch - thank you for your encouragement - I think now you make me want to practice runs more since it really does have a harplike quality if they are executed correctly. I like the adjectives you used though - it will make me know what to look for when working on them.

Sol Finker - so glad you seem to be moving along in the course. It's neat that both of us are working on it - so I'm glad you are finding encouragement with the posts and the feedback with the members here. And yes, piano, I have learned, with complex things, at least one thing needs to be on autopilot - whether the right or left hand. So, I'm always thinking how to reduce the load (or if I need to practice on one of those sides more if I need it to go on autopilot). I feel like that's why this song took as long as it did. Plus, Duane does throw us a lot of techniques, but it's really what we want to try and process (hopefully without burning ourselves out).

David B - it's always wonderful to hear your feedback and it's so great you are still involved in this course thread - especially since you have completed this course. What's even neat reading through your past posts is that you even interacted with Duane. Your insights and encouragement are always much appreciated. The neat thing with this course is yes, sometimes we don't necessarily learn new things - but when he has us apply them - oh boy, those can be really challenging. Hopefully all the accumulated practice and reps do pay off and get much easier as we progress.

L
L
I believe I am in week 27. It seems to take a month or so to get through a song. There is one more song in this "week" of lesson, so ...

Anyway, this is the first one. "Merry Widow Waltz." At first, I tried it, Duane made it so "open" - it was more a here's a song, and you can do this, this and this. At first, it was overwhelming and I just wanted to skip ... but I am glad I stuck with it. Part of the frustration were different types of stylings he wanted us to try. I am glad I got to incorporate some things I may have skipped over in some of the prior songs/lessons. I got to try a new style (straddle) and then continue building/practicing with elements I have already worked with. It was definitely tough - brain and fingers at first did not want to cooperate. But working some things out slowly, using metronome, speeding things up - I think it came out pretty okay. Perfect - no. But good enough for me to document and move on. I want to try a Christmas song or two. Glad I stuck with the "Merry Widow Waltz" - attempted it at a faster speed (than the last waltz). Definitely learned and got more experience on a few things, now it is time to move on!

One big aha from this lesson - tension and release!

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Bravo Lx20 !

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Lx20, Nice! You're getting fancy on the arrangement with the up and down runs. Sweet! Great job and thanks for sharing.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
L
L
Thank WBLynch and David B for checking out the latest progress with the course.

David B - as for the fanciness - lol - I guess that's the problem when Duane shows quite a bit of variation. In the beginning I was working on his rolling chord thing - and I was practicing it, but I guess as the weeks progressed, I omitted them. I have been staying away from things like echoes - as they seem so simple ... but then they screw me up. Haha! So that's one thing I tried to sprinkle in. The straddle was definitely one I wanted to incorporate. I know it was almost me throwing in as much as possible - but that's the fun thing with this course I guess - he gives you options.

This was not a fun song per se - it was a bit boring and felt like a chore at first. But once the song skeleton/structure was okay and then I could start incorporating a bit more elements, it made it more fun to play with.

If there's one mystery so far - it's his up and down runs. I can see how you go up ... but going down at his speed - that's another story. Maybe he'll uncover it in upcoming lessons ...

Gonna attempt a little break - as I want to try a Christmas song (utilizing his stylings) ... so we'll see how that goes ... then still got one more song in Week 27.

Page 42 of 45 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cambodia
by PhilipInChina - 01/21/22 12:03 AM
Hey y'all, here's my best solo recording
by An Old Square - 01/20/22 09:44 PM
PSR-E473
by waljbt74 - 01/20/22 09:26 PM
Info on pre 1990s Weinbach? (Petrof)
by monsieur souvlaki - 01/20/22 03:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,273
Posts3,162,722
Members104,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission