2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What is the motivation behind this post? Does anyone know if the piano is an Estonia? More importantly, even if the piano is Estonia, when was it built? How has it been maintained?

Without knowing all the answers to the above, I can see no reason for this post about what the OP suggests is a bad sounding Estonia. The piano might have had terrible maintenance, terrible tuning, and be from the period long before Laul took over the company.

Almost everyone considers present day Estonias to be at a minimum very excellent instruments, so there seems little point for this post with such a provocative title.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
What is the motivation behind this post? Does anyone know if the piano is an Estonia? More importantly, even if the piano is Estonia, when was it built? How has it been maintained?

Without knowing all the answers to the above, I can see no reason for this post about what the OP suggests is a bad sounding Estonia. The piano might have had terrible maintenance, terrible tuning, and be from the period long before Laul took over the company.

Almost everyone considers present day Estonias to be at a minimum very excellent instruments, so there seems little point for this post with such a provocative title.
This is an "Estonia" grand piano from about 67-70. The last time I did tuning was it's in 2009. As eyewitnesses say, no one did any more tuning it's after that. The video shows the state final qualification examination (special piano). This is the hall of the music college in the city of Uralsk (RK).

Originally Posted by Maximillyan

This is an "Estonia" grand piano from about 67-70. The last time I did tuning was it's in 2009. As eyewitnesses say, no one did any more tuning it's after that. The video shows the state final qualification examination (special piano). This is the hall of the music college in the city of Uralsk (RK).
So what is the purpose of posting a video of a 50+ year old Estonia that hasn't been tuned for 12 years?

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So what is the purpose of posting a video of a 50+ year old Estonia that hasn't been tuned for 12 years?
more than obvious, I'm think: The piano is not tuned in a government office . Teachers of music are silent it about

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
If that piano hasn't been tuned in 12 years it's in remarkably good tune, though it's obvious it wasn't tuned for this recital. Oh wait! You said the piano was built in 1967 - 1970, so this is a communist era Estonia. Again it sounds remarkably good for such an instrument, though it sounds like the hammers could be needled a bit to soften the sound. The pianist did a nice job on the Bach fugue.

Actually, most of the poor sound seems to be due to the video recorder used. No video recorder or phone could make any piano sound good from that distance and it's obvious there were no microphones for higher quality audio recording.

So your point in posting this is not to besmirch Estonia, but rather criticize the government for not maintaining their instruments. Is that correct?

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
If that piano hasn't been tuned in 12 years it's in remarkably good tune, though it's obvious it wasn't tuned for this recital. Oh wait! You said the piano was built in 1967 - 1970, so this is a communist era Estonia. Again it sounds remarkably good for such an instrument, though it sounds like the hammers could be needled a bit to soften the sound. The pianist did a nice job on the Bach fugue.

Actually, most of the poor sound seems to be due to the video recorder used. No video recorder or phone could make any piano sound good from that distance and it's obvious there were no microphones for higher quality audio recording.

So your point in posting this is not to besmirch Estonia, but rather criticize the government for not maintaining their instruments. Is that correct?
Yes, I wanted said: Why the pianist must sacrifices her performance from badlyty the government college which to preparing piano for exam

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Thank you! I see no evil motivation in talking about Soviet made Estonia's.Why not for heavens sake?

Thanks Max, I find your posts interesting.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
This is Sergei Vassilievich playing on a Soviet era Estonia concert grand:

D
D
Originally Posted by OE1FEU

Didn't Rachmaninoff leave Russia shortly after the Revolution?

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Here is a fantastic performance on a very nice sounding Estonia concert grand from 1963. No idea the actual age of the piano. Of course, Davidovich is brilliant.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Pianoloverus
I see your point in that the new Estonias are amazing instruments and there is always the possibility of besmirching
these pianos by posting a video recording of an older Soviet made model, especially as it has not been tuned in so many years.Apparently in Europe there are still those that still do not trust Estonia because of the memory of so many badly made
instruments.Of course there are also Bluthners still floating around that are Soviet made instruments...I have heard that some of those are apparently good instruments, although one rebuilder or restorer claimed that he rebuilt them purely because of the brand name.
I am glad of these remarkable videos though it shows that some of the better brands came out as OK. We cannot truly hear the sound quality of these last two youtube videos but it seems as though these two great pianists thought them not too bad to record on.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda

Thank you! I see no evil motivation in talking about Soviet made Estonia's.Why not for heavens sake?

Me too! I like Max's posts.

FWIW, I think anyone who's made a post or two here knows that Max's wording is sometimes a little awkward because he uses a translator to change his words into English. His posts often have this same theme: that the pianos are holding up in spite of neglect, and that people are still making music with them! This post is no different.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

M
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sounds like a piano roll, which means it was played back on an Estonia post 1940-- without his help.

M
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sounds like a piano roll, which means it was played back on an Estonia post 1940-- without his help.
Originally Posted by Davdoc
Originally Posted by OE1FEU

Didn't Rachmaninoff leave Russia shortly after the Revolution?

Not only that, but Estonia didn't join the USSR until after Molotov-Ribbentrop sliced up Eastern Europe. Just a few years before Rachmaninov died.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks, tre corda

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

Me too! I like Max's posts.

FWIW, I think anyone who's made a post or two here knows that Max's wording is sometimes a little awkward because he uses a translator to change his words into English. His posts often have this same theme: that the pianos are holding up in spite of neglect, and that people are still making music with them! This post is no different.
Because people more try to saving own piano , where Max is reporter that chronics

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm pretty sensitive to the topic of badly maintained pianos affecting performance right now..... There's a lot to be said for a good Clavinova!

Anyway back to this piano: It actually sounds quite good, I mean the underlying tone. You can tell it has been a good piano but that it's currently not in great shape. The piano is clearly out of tune though, and I've no idea how the action is. These old Estonias can actually be quite good. They're not comparable to the new ones of course.

It sounds like there's more going on with this girl's performance than just the piano. She can clearly play very well, produces a good sound, and has good rhythm, but it seems there's a lot of tension in there. That *could* be the piano's action affecting her, or it could be something else. Her body alignment isn't very good and I think that's a bigger problem than the piano.

YAMAHA Artist
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
It sounds like there's more going on with this girl's performance than just the piano. She can clearly play very well, produces a good sound, and has good rhythm, but it seems there's a lot of tension in there. That *could* be the piano's action affecting her, or it could be something else. Her body alignment isn't very good and I think that's a bigger problem than the piano.
Joseph Fleetwood, I pure agree with you.
She there's sharp a lot of tension in there because she feel unthinkable defenseless before the sounding of the piano

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
unordinary Tchaikovsky

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission