2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (blueviewlaguna., anamnesis, andrea83, Albertan, Bill McKaig,RPT, An Old Square, 36251, brdwyguy, chaplincap, 16 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Marc345 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Many optical sensor systems in higher end DPs nowadays seem to use optical fibers for transmitting the sensor data. Examples:

* https://www.bechstein-digital.com/de/vario-connect/
* Yamaha AvantGrand (AFAIR)
* Kawai Novus (AFAIR)

Are there any particular reasons for that?

Is it easier to scan all key position sensors via optical means?

Does it remove electromagnetic interference?

Last edited by Marc345; 11/12/21 06:24 PM.

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GZgdFm3
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I can't find that information in the page you link, but the Bechstein system looks nice. I have a Kawai ATX3 system which is similar/identical to the sensor system in the Novus I think. No idea if the wires are optical. I always assumed copper but haven't actually paid attention when looking at it. There is a connector between the wires from the sensors and the wires to the processing unit. This is needed if you want to take the action out. That connector looks like a 'normal' one. But haven't checked in detail.

S
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
S
The question isn't clear (to me). Are you asking about the use of optical sensors, or are you asking about the use of fiber optics to convey the detected signals?

The former is because, and I have no data for this, optical sensors are more reliable, and provide more precision than the rubber/graphite electronic switches, and the latter is presumably a design or component availability decision.

M
Marc345 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by pianogabe
I can't find that information in the page you link

You can see it on their pictures. To me it seems like they are using some of the fibers to transmit the light source, and others in the same bunch of fibers to pick up the reflections.

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
The question isn't clear (to me)

The title is pretty clear: it's about the connection.

Part of the question is also a concern regarding the transformation of all that scanning bandwidth into a digital signal. ADCs are beasts on their own and usually you don't have like 88-176 pieces of them connected to some processing unit. So I guess there may be some sort of muiltiplexing going on, a very fast switching between the signals. Maybe there are optical variants that are simply better than their usual electric counterparts? Do we know of someone who checked what those manufacturers actually did with their optical sensor system, ie. how they implemented them?

p.s. here is what I found related to AvantGrand: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthr...avantgrand-n1x-hands-on.html#Post3077968

Last edited by Marc345; 11/13/21 05:34 AM.

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
M
Marc345 Offline OP
OP Offline
M

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
The AvantGrand definitely uses bundles of fiber cabling. I'm pretty sure the Novus doesn't. The NV has optical sensors and transmitter components SMT mounted directly to a PCB that has slotted holes for the hammer-shank "fins" or shutters to pass through. No fiber cables anywhere.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
M
Marc345 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
That's something I'm especially curious about:

[img]https://postimg.cc/F7x4qww0[/img]

What exactly is this device?

T
T
Originally Posted by Marc345
That's something I'm especially curious about:

[img]https://postimg.cc/F7x4qww0[/img]

What exactly is this device?
Looks like a optical (on the back) / electrical (on the right) converter to me.
The optical cables seem to be plastic type optical fiber which is normal for short range communication (similar SPDIF on audio equipment): they have much higher attenuation per length but it's ok since the link is short.
Only for longer links (fiber to the home, switch stations, trunk fiber networks) glass fiber will be used.

[Kawai VPC1 / ES100 - VSTs: VSL 280VC, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 & Pianoteq 7 - Ableton Live Lite - Presonus iOne/iTwo - Tascam US1x2/2x2- Sennheiser HD700/6xx - Presonus E5+T10, iloud micro monitors]
M
Marc345 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by TonyDIGITAL
Looks like a optical (on the back) / electrical (on the right) converter to me.
The optical cables seem to be plastic type optical fiber which is normal for short range communication (similar SPDIF on audio equipment): they have much higher attenuation per length but it's ok since the link is short.
Only for longer links (fiber to the home, switch stations, trunk fiber networks) glass fiber will be used.

So, it's essentially a few dozen fiber optic receivers like

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail...?qs=sGAEpiMZZMudkDON%252B1gPs78B52tIpnYn

packed on one board? I have been trying to find receivers that handle a few dozen single-mode input fibers, but either this is done outside of the receivers (time-based interleaving?), or I haven't found the proper term for them yet. Also, that receiver seems to be of the on/off type, not a continuous (ADC like) type as I'd expect being used in the AvantGrand series.

Last edited by Marc345; 11/13/21 07:51 AM.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

... or I haven't found the proper term for them yet.

Just from the top of my head, not being an expert: a term may be 'Opto couplers'?

Cheers and happy learning,

HZ

S
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
S
Also, that receiver seems to be of the on/off type, not a continuous (ADC like) type as I'd expect being used in the AvantGrand series.
The actual sensor on the NU1(X) is not on/off, and has changed across releases but is a varying graded (diffraction) type of grating. So for example the NU1 uses dots and the NU1X uses lines. I have not seen the other models, but they have a key sensor that is probably the same, and a hammer sensor which is probably on/off.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 11/13/21 10:37 AM.
M
Marc345 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Something like ADS92x4R Dual, Low-Latency, Simultaneous-Sampling SAR ADC has 2x 3MSPS (6 million samples per second at 16 bit resolution). Only problem is: how do I connect 88 or double that amount of gray sensors to it? Are there some time-based interleaving mechanisms out there that is compaitble with that sampling rate? I guess one would also need to use the ADC as a time source for that.

Last edited by Marc345; 11/13/21 11:10 AM.

P
P
I think it more likely that they use a simple on off scheme and measure the time between.

There are proximity sensors that spit out the distance and even velocity as digital outputs.

The fiber optic cables might simply be easier to mount and align within the framework of a piano mechanism

FP-90x, PX-330

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Factory silent options
by Gombessa - 01/26/22 11:23 AM
History of Yamaha U1 price
by VeritasNL - 01/26/22 10:25 AM
Where to find a concert grand to play
by Keyburn - 01/26/22 08:42 AM
17th Adilia Alieva International Music Competition
by Alex-Peter - 01/26/22 06:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,362
Posts3,164,093
Members104,170
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission