2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (Chompoo, AJB, AndreaH, 80k, Carey, astrotoy, AprilE, Anevsky, axomas, 8 invisible), 3,420 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Say goodbye to eLicensers on Steinberg and soon other manufacturers products:

Steinberg licensing

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Thanks for posting!

On a personal note, all these systems, and the dozens and dozens of accounts and 'security' systems we need(??) to have everywhere drive me utterly nuts.

In particular, the notion that all of this hassle we have to put up with is 'just' because they (a dominant minority of people) can't (won't) behave themselves respectfully, decently, and constructively, makes me bitter and resentful.

Oh how sweet fully acoustic and authentic musical instruments are…

Cheers and happy preserving our integrity,

HZ

P
P
Here are a few quotes from the linked page:

- "record some information that identifies the computer you’re signing in from". I'm reading this as privacy violation.

- "run your software for 30 days without reconnecting". I interpret this as continuous hassle and risk of the software refusing to work when you need it. It's hilarious that they still claim that the software is "your"s.

Fortunately I'm not a Steinberg customer, so my irritation will be over in a few minutes.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by pppianomarc
It's hilarious that they still claim that the software is "your"s.

Fortunately I'm not a Steinberg customer, so my irritation will be over in a few minutes.

Me neither, but still... Even my PC doesn't feel mine anymore unless I can run and use it 100% offline. Same with my 'smart'phone.

VSL also is in a transition to a new (to them) licensing scheme. Because that is iLok, which I already use and find at least doable, I got my hopes up. Until this week when I was informed that they won't do machine licensing -- meaning that you either need just another dongle or have to be online always when using their software. So, no VSL for me after all.

And no Steinberg.

And no Windows 11, for MS didn't keep their promise on an infinite lifecycle of '10', and for their serious oversight in demanding certain security chips to be present on your motherboard. Should we comply, MS causes unimaginable financial, time, energy, AND ENVIRONMENTAL damage to all of us. It's just not acceptable in this day and age (if it has ever been).

Cheers and happy preserving our integrity,

HZ

EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I think you are over-reacting. The 30-day offline and even a 1-year offline (read their FAQs) seems to me like a decent trade-off to the dongle thing. I still prefer the dongle, as I have several PCs and Macs with Cubase on them and, as the sole user, I plug the dongle on the computer I am going to use and I am done. But of course you need to deal with the possibility of losing the dongle or damaging it.

So for me being able to activate the software in just two computers limits quite a bit the functionality of Cubase as I use now, but the need of Internet connection once in 30 days or the hardware footprint is not a big deal. Microsoft does it with Windows 10, for example.

I guess some people will never be happy, with or without dongles grin

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by EB5AGV
I think you are over-reacting.

Jose

It may well be one of those days today 😉.

Still, if it can be as easy as I experience with VI Labs, where it hardly is any hassle at all and you can have up to three concurrent machine-licenses or even a dongle if that suits you better -- then I don't understand e.g. VSL in creating unnecessary hassle and burden and barriers, putting off potential customers, losing business...

In general, it is high time producers (of anything) and service organizations become profoundly aware they work for us -- and not the other way around. And we should stop giving our business to anyone who doesn't get and/or respect this simple truth.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
If the software can run with just being connected once every 30 days, I would be fine with it. But I vaguely recall having tried out iLok with some other software (a reverb plugin I believe) and that stopped working pretty quickly if it wasn't connected. One problem with a continuous internet connection is that it interferes with latency. Wifi etc. Updates....

But a usb dongle is no solution for me. I would have bought some VSL pianos if t weren't for the dongle. I work with a laptop with 'only' 3 usb ports. One is used for the piano/midi, one for the sound device and one for the external SSD drive that I need for all those huge libraries. No port left. :-( And I fear that connecting a usb hub will affect latency, although I am not sure if this will be a problem. But at least that would be another device at my piano, which I want to avoid.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by HZPiano
In general, it is high time producers (of anything) and service organizations become profoundly aware they work for us -- and not the other way around. And we should stop giving our business to anyone who doesn't get and/or respect this simple truth.

This is my sentiment, as well.

However, in the board room of our owners (and the owners of our computers) I think the general sentiment is this:

'In general, it is high time consumers (of anything) and consumer organizations become profoundly aware they work for us -- and not the other way around. And we should stop giving our products to anyone who doesn't get and/or respect this simple truth.'

As our frustration grows into measurable resistance, they will surely devote more and more of their resources to limiting competition so we end up having no other choices but to submit.

The squeeze is on, in a big-time way.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Q
Q
This sounds way better than a dongle. I do this type of sign-in licensing for other non-musical software that I buy, and it's not a big deal at all.

Originally Posted by pppianomarc
Here are a few quotes from the linked page:

- "record some information that identifies the computer you’re signing in from". I'm reading this as privacy violation.

If you sign their license, you are agreeing to their terms, and so no legal violation is occurring.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
O
O
Am I right that I need to have fully connected internet for 24/7 for my program to be powered on and I will not have any possibility to "work" without internet connection?

Check out my scores here: https://musescore.com/sheetmusic/piano
EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Oleg Vostyakov
Am I right that I need to have fully connected internet for 24/7 for my program to be powered on and I will not have any possibility to "work" without internet connection?

NO!!!. Please, read the FAQ. You need a connection at least once every 30 days

https://www.steinberg.net/licensing/faq/

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
NO!!!. Please, read the FAQ. You need a connection at least once every 30 days

https://www.steinberg.net/licensing/faq/

Not even that. You can opt to go offline for 1 year. You can also remotely deactivate licenses. That way moving licenses is probably not as easy as moving a dongle, but it looks being not much of a hassle either. I like it. They will even use it to allow one to try out their software before buying. Overall, seems like a great change.

Regarding dongle replacement if you lose it: AFAIK as long as the dongle is registered with your Steinberg ID, keep a replacement dongle somewhere and it should be pretty easy to move your licenses to the new one and deactivate the old one. Compare that to iLok. It's also very easy to sell Steinberg software (and that may be a hidden reason for their new system): you just sell the dongle with the software activations on it and the buyer registers it with their Steinberg ID. Not sure if that will be as easy or even possible at all with the new system. Anyone got any clue regarding license ownership transfers and the new system?

Last edited by Marc345; 11/12/21 07:45 PM.

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GZgdFm3
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
What is the reason for this?
I always get suspicious of any Gov. agency/Corp. that suddenly steps in, and claims that there now is a need to help protect you from yourself.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RaggedKeyPresser
What is the reason for this?
I always get suspicious of any Gov. agency/Corp. that suddenly steps in, and claims that there now is a need to help protect you from yourself.

Reason for what? They protect themselves, not you.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learn to Burn!
by Dfrankjazz - 07/01/22 12:36 AM
Summer school in UK
by FarmGirl - 06/30/22 11:12 PM
Recommended tech in NYC?
by skern49 - 06/30/22 07:39 PM
UEFI / BIOS settings regarding CPU
by David Lai - 06/30/22 07:26 PM
When you play the real Rhodes...
by Rhodes74 - 06/30/22 06:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,754
Posts3,204,571
Members105,685
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission