2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
116 members (anotherscott, bluebilly, bimzdbear, 36251, almo82, Bach On Lock, benQF, Bebe1980, An Old Square, 23 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 481 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
nbpf Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Dear all,

after about one year of regular usage (1-2 hours per day), some of the keys of my wife's NV5 have developed a very annoying rubbing noise. It's clearly velocity dependent and it sounds as if some extra friction would occur when these keys are pressed. There is no noise on key rebound.

Last week a technician came to check the action. The noise appears to be caused by tiny plastic pistons or cylinders. These are equipped with a spring and get engaged (or disengaged) when a key is pressed. I could see the movement by looking at an angle through the action. The technician took a video and will get in touch with Kawai to see what can be done.

My question is: has any NV5 owner experienced something like this? Is this a known problem that has been sorted out in the new NV5S? My wife loves the NV5 but she finds the noise extremely annoying. I am an absolute beginner and do not care so much but, even with my bad hearing, I can hear the noise very clearly when I play without headphones and the volume is not near the max.

Thanks,
nbpf

P
P
Nv5 has a real wood action. Sometimes can fluctuate with humidity and temperature as a real piano. But disappointing if it happened a year after purchase.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Pianowill
Nv5 has a real wood action. Sometimes can fluctuate with humidity and temperature as a real piano. But disappointing if it happened a year after purchase.
Well the key is wood, and maybe the hammer shank, but the remainder of the Millenium 3 action is composite, felt, springs, leather/hide. But you're right that seasonal change may be a factor. Also there are no 'pistons' but possibly they or the 'cylinders' are part of the capstan/whippen? There are a couple of springs, one is the the coiled jack return spring that could be what the OP is referring to? Regardless, a piano technician (not a keyboard or digital piano technician) should be able to easily resolve this.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If you want to use more standard terminology, a reference:
http://www.stevespianoservice.com/Diagrams/upright-piano-action-diagram.htm

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
N
nbpf Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the feedback!

@Pianowill: the problem is not humidity or temperature: the rubbing noise has been there through spring, summer and meanwhile autumn!

@spanishbuddha, @terminaldegree: thanks! When the technician came and took apart the NV5, I hadn't enough time to understand the mechanics of the action, perhaps what I have described as pistons or cylinders is what is denoted as #17 in terminaldegree's link, but I am not sure.

Anyway, the bottom line is that different keys make rather different rubbing noise, that this was not the case when the piano was new and that, according to the technician sent by Kawai, this is not a problem that can be solved by regulation.

The other fact that I find annoying is that it is difficult to find precise pictures, drawings or documentation of the NV5 action with clear denotations of the different parts. This makes it difficult to describe the problem precisely. This is disappointing given that the NV5 is meant to be one of the best hybrid pianos available today.

Best,
nbpf

T
T
I'm considering the NV5 vs Casio GP-310 / -510 and this is very concerning.
Of course the NV5(S) is very popular so issue(s) like these are likely to get reported compared to those of other manufacturers.

[Kawai VPC1 / ES100 - VSTs: VSL 280VC, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 & Pianoteq 7 - Ableton Live Lite - Presonus iOne/iTwo - Tascam US1x2/2x2- Sennheiser HD700/6xx - Presonus E5+T10, iloud micro monitors]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello nbpf,

Originally Posted by nbpf
what I have described as pistons or cylinders is what is denoted as #17 in terminaldegree's link, but I am not sure.

In the Kawai acoustic piano parts list that I have here, these parts are referred to as the "Regulating Button" and "Regulating Button Punching".

As I believe you're aware, the NV5 uses essentially the same action as a Kawai upright piano. So, if this is indeed the part that is causing the noise, I'm confident that it can resolved on the NV5 in the same was as on a Kawai acoustic piano.

The other fact that I find annoying is that it is difficult to find precise pictures, drawings or documentation of the NV5 action with clear denotations of the different parts. This makes it difficult to describe the problem precisely. This is disappointing given that the NV5 is meant to be one of the best hybrid pianos available today.

There is a high resolution picture of the NV5 action on the Kawai Global product page:

https://www.kawai-global.com/product/nv5s/#t06

Some parts of the action are obscured by the muting and hammer sensing components, however I believe the part "Regulating Button" part that you are referring to is visible here.

There are also illustrations of the action inside the instrument's service manual and parts list documentation, however these materials are not avilable to end user's I'm afraid.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
N
nbpf Offline OP
OP Offline
N
@James: thanks! In order to see the parts that the technician said are causing the noise, one has to look from the front (more or less 90 degrees to the picture) through the 2 points of the keyboard where the ends of the keys are diverging and where there is a gap between the vertical elements of the action. By looking at an angle through these gaps, one can see the tiny black elements that are causing the noise. According to the technician, the problem cannot be solved by greasing or regulating the action. We will see ...
do you know whether the NV5 and NV5S actions are the same?

@TonyDIGITAL: the action and the functionalities of the NV5 are just perfect for me. A few months ago I bought a Roland FX30 for exercising on holiday. While the FX30 is fine as a mobile device, there is no comparison between the two actions. The NV5 feels like an upright acoustic piano and playing it's a pleasure, apart from the rubbing noise.

Hello nbpf,

do you know whether the NV5 and NV5S actions are the same?

Yes, I believe they are the same.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Tyr Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
My NV5 is nearly 2 Years old and i don't experience any issues.

Kawai: NV5 | MP11SE
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
N
nbpf Offline OP
OP Offline
N
@James: Thanks, do you know whether the headphones output voltage of the NV5S can be fine adjusted, e.g. to match a fixed (speaker + headphones) volume level? @Tyr: Glad to hear that your NV5 has no issues, it's a great device!

N
nbpf Offline OP
OP Offline
N
So, the end of the story is that the report and the video of the technician Kawai sent about one month ago never reached Kawai or they reached Kawai and then were lost. Yesterday Kawai sent another technician who first took the whole action out of the cabinet and then did some lubrication work. I was not in the room and could not see what he did exactly but apparently some parts needed lubrication. That completely eliminated the rubbing noise and should be a permanent fix, he said. Thus, I hope this is really the end of the story.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High end speaker v.s. a real sound board
by NavH - 01/20/22 10:33 AM
VST? Get an external DAC.
by Bruce In Philly - 01/20/22 10:19 AM
Vertigo, Pianos, and Earbud Speakers
by ClsscLib - 01/20/22 10:07 AM
Welcome New Members!
by Piano World - 01/20/22 09:53 AM
Memorization: Corea vs. Zhdanov
by Emery Wang - 01/20/22 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,259
Posts3,162,473
Members104,096
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission