2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Beautiful! Congratulations!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beautiful piano in a lovely space. Might need a rug underneath and some soft furnishings if too echoey, but I'm sure you know that. Congratulations!!!

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Starre
Lovely, congrats. By the way, do not buy a "cheap digital hygrometer", they almost all show the wrong humidity, go for a professional with relative humidity (REL %). And also place a rug under the grand, it will sound better.
I bought an expensive digital hygrometer and it showed ridiculous humidity levels and temperature levels.Someone here said both expensive and cheap digital hygrometers are never totally accurate, just find the one that is most accurate.

I then bought a cheap digital hygrometer from Walmart and it agrees with my technicians expensive tech hygrometer.(one or two degrees difference) I then bought a different one,also cheap from another shop because I had a grand piano in a different room.When placed in the same room they virtually agree.As far as I know they all read the "relative" humidity of the room.I have also done tests on these two hygrometers to see if they work well enough.They do.
I think only a laboratory would have a hygrometer which would show "absolute" humidity.So yes the cheap digital ones work as well or better than expensive ones.Actually tried two expensive hygrometers.They were both very out.(temperature and humidity)

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Congratulations. It looks great.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Schimmaha! I like that. thumb

I still wonder who ended up with the Yammel though. wink

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
S
Originally Posted by tre corda
Congratulations on your beautiful piano.That really is gorgeous!

You need to protect the piano from too much light from that window, mainly from sunlight which will cause the finish to fade or crack in time.Also buy a cheap digital hygrometer so you can watch the humidty.Best wishes Happypuppie you are going to love playing thatl Schimmel piano!

Polished ebony finishes are not subject to sun-fading.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

R
R
Last week I had the opportunity to play for the first time a Schimmel. As was mentioned earlier on this thread, I couldn't find any identification of the model on the plate or elsewhere, save "CC". It was around 7' or a little longer. Elsewhere, perhaps the fallboard, it did identify itself as being a "Konzert" series piano. I didn't think to get any photos, unfortunately.

Personally, I found the action considerably heavier than expected. That can be a good thing for practice, but I'd find it quite tiring for anything else. It was not a pleasant playing experience for me. Is this typical for these pianos, or a result of regulation? (Hard to say, I'm sure.)

Yamaha S4
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Congratulations on your beautiful piano.That really is gorgeous!

You need to protect the piano from too much light from that window, mainly from sunlight which will cause the finish to fade or crack in time.Also buy a cheap digital hygrometer so you can watch the humidty.Best wishes Happypuppie you are going to love playing thatl Schimmel piano!

Polished ebony finishes are not subject to sun-fading.
Good to know! My old mahogany gloss finish Yamaha C2(1970) did fade and have some hairline cracks in in places. Probably due to some sunlight, although we always had drapes. (perhaps I did not always close them in summer)

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RobAC
Last week I had the opportunity to play for the first time a Schimmel. As was mentioned earlier on this thread, I couldn't find any identification of the model on the plate or elsewhere, save "CC". It was around 7' or a little longer. Elsewhere, perhaps the fallboard, it did identify itself as being a "Konzert" series piano. I didn't think to get any photos, unfortunately.

Personally, I found the action considerably heavier than expected. That can be a good thing for practice, but I'd find it quite tiring for anything else. It was not a pleasant playing experience for me. Is this typical for these pianos, or a result of regulation? (Hard to say, I'm sure.)
On the plate of the uprights it is embossed Braunschweig.On right side of the keyboard there is a K for Konzert.I thought the touch of the K175 was easy and responsive.

S
S
Well tre corda, as long as you know the reading is correct the cheap ones might be ok, but I was just concerned with that the risk of a cheap one showing wrong humidity is most of the time bigger than a more expensive one. Mine costs about 100 dollars and I have checked it against a calibrated hygrometer.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Well tre corda, as long as you know the reading is correct the cheap ones might be ok, but I was just concerned with that the risk of a cheap one showing wrong humidity is most of the time bigger than a more expensive one. Mine costs about 100 dollars and I have checked it against a calibrated hygrometer.
$100.00 for a hygrometer? That must be an excellent one.Most here have always recommended a fairly cheap hygrometer.Of course it is possible my technicians hygrometer, my dehumidifier, two $10.00 digital hygrometers,my old analog hygrometer are all incorrect.I can assure they show a similar range in the readings though.So....perhaps I just am lucky?😀
I still would not recommend the OP spend a $100.00 on a digital hygrometer? or should I ?

S
S
I think it was worth the money since I use it many times every day, but that is me smile.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
$100.00 for a hygrometer? That must be an excellent one.Most here have always recommended a fairly cheap hygrometer.Of course it is possible my technicians hygrometer, my dehumidifier, two $10.00 digital hygrometers,my old analog hygrometer are all incorrect.I can assure they show a similar range in the readings though.So....perhaps I just am lucky?😀
I still would not recommend the OP spend a $100.00 on a digital hygrometer? or should I ?

Maybe you should just avoid mentioning a price or using the word ‘cheap’. There has been previous discussion that inexpensive hygrometers are not always reliable, maybe start a new thread with this question?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

Maybe you should just avoid mentioning a price or using the word ‘cheap’. There has been previous discussion that inexpensive hygrometers are not always reliable, maybe start a new thread with this question?
Did I mention the price first? Starre mentioned she owned a hygrometer that cost a hundred dollars first, why not ask her to stop mentioning the price? A well known dealer on this forum first suggested buying a cheap digital hygrometer.How expensive would it be for OP in his country to buy a hundred dollar hygrometer? I think this is an absurd conversation.

We are talking about a digital hygrometer are we? You know one of those little "plastic thingies" that you place on top of your piano are we?

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Yes, the discussion is about the digital hygrometer and there have been discussions about what is adequate including calibration.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Yes, the discussion is about the digital hygrometer and there have been discussions about what is adequate including calibration.
Here dogsperson BDB our our fine technician suggests buying a CHEAP DIGITAL HYGROMETER !

Perhaps there is a reason I should not quote an expert ?(especially as I did exactly what he suggested) Is it not correct to say what you believe works.I would like to know what you find offensive about that?(I did not mention price first)

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/1/main/210229/type/thread.html

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Here is a different PW thread.Twocats suggests a hygrometer at what I would consider a cheap price.Living in Indonesia I suggest air conditioning, a dehumidifier or damp chaser and a hygrometer.Perhaps dogsperson will agree?

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2596969/Re:_Can_Someone_Suggest_an_Acc.html

Actually there are a great deal of threads on this subject Enjoy!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
maybe start a new thread with this question?

maybe start a new thread about when new threads are appropriate! wink

B
B
living in Indonesia we may not need a hygrometer, consider it always high or very high,
once you always sweated inside the house make sure to turn on the aircon at your piano room🤣

ben
CRW190

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by benQF
living in Indonesia we may not need a hygrometer, consider it always high or very high,
once you always sweated inside the house make sure to turn on the aircon at your piano room🤣

ben
CRW190
Perhaps that's far more accurate than most hygrometers?😉
I believe Indonesia is beautiful! One day I would love to visit.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission