2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3169357 11/08/21 10:07 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello all, worked on a hundred year old restung/pinned Chickering baby grand. Tuning and some repairs.
Made a couple trips in a month. The piano was in a room with large windows that gets full afternoon sun.
Told the woman she needs curtains they don't seem to be in a hurry.
So doing the tuning sun is on half piano. Some false beats to deal with and I say to myself tune as fast as possible. By time I'm done it's sun is on all of it. Sounds ok but some notes go out with instability due to sun.
Fix. Get the owner to play and explain get curtains again. This time it sinks in. She's happy with tuning and repairs. But I hate trying to tune a piano as it gets cooked in full sun.
How do you deal with this? Ask upfront if piano is in full sun?

B
B
I had this problem with a restaurant. I could only tune between 9-11 and the sun would shine directly on the piano just at that time. The solution I came up with was to bring a large umbrella to block the sun while I was tuning.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I don't suppose the sun does the piano much good on the other days when there is no umbrella...

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I ran into this tuning for an outdoor musical series this summer. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Umbrellas were available.

Semipro Tech
N
N
As an experiment, take a clean unison and using a felt mute rub one of the outer strings for several strokes then listen again. It's quite easy to induce 4-5 or more bps in the unison this way, but if you continue to play the note it will quickly come back into tune as the string cools. Sunlight does the same thing (and just as quickly) along with other long term damage. Demonstrate this to the customer and suggest curtains again, or at least a string cover!

Mark Dierauf, RPT
NH Pianos
Piano technician & rebuilder since 1978
www.nhpianos.com
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the replies. On my first trip there, I suggested string cover felt and I got and installed it on last trip.
I had to do 2 repairs maybe heat related. Whippen string loop holding spring came unglued. And a hammer was broken at the tip of shank. The whole action seemed dry. The hammers while still having decent felt were rock hard. I did some sweetening with a brass brush and some felt started to crumble. So, assumed original 100 yr old hammers. I told her she's cooking the piano having it in full sun with this huge window. But the neighborhood can be better crimewise, and I bet they want a view of their car on the street. They say they'll get curtains.

Speaking of instability, today I have to go back to an old customer and retune his piano I did a month ago. The temp/humidity at the time was like July, very damp. Now, the heat going on he's complaining it's out of tune. Despite the fact he has it against an outer cold wall and the piano can move around easily if pushed (upright).
As the floor isn't level. Pulled it away a few inches from wall but I'll suggest an humidity system if he still has issues.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission