2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
123 members (Animisha, anotherscott, bimzdbear, 36251, almo82, Bach On Lock, benQF, Bebe1980, An Old Square, 25 invisible), 1,201 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
VinV Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I would like to get your advices on the durability of Samick JS118D or Kohler & Campbell KC115. I am looking for an upright piano with the budget of ~USD 3,000. In Vietnam, my options with this budget are only very old Yamaha/Kawai (>40 years old) or new Samick J118D or new Kohler & Campbell KC115 (from Samick too). I would like to learn more on Samick ones in case I cannot find a decent Yamaha/Kawai piano. I will try the touch and tone of Samick ones but it is hard to know their durability. Thanks you very much in advance.

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you are going with an Indonesian Samick, please set aside some extra money for regulation and adjustments after the piano is delivered. These can be adequate entry level pianos, but they generally leave the factory in rough condition and will benefit from adjustments.

Good Luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
V
VinV Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
If you are going with an Indonesian Samick, please set aside some extra money for regulation and adjustments after the piano is delivered. These can be adequate entry level pianos, but they generally leave the factory in rough condition and will benefit from adjustments.

Good Luck,

Thanks you very much for your advice. I think I can afford the cost. It is around USD200-250 per time here (normal regulation and voicing is only around USD100). It is very good to know in order to include this cost into the price.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Manufacturer specs for brands really do vary country to country. Here in the US, the Kohler & Campbell brand was discontinued several years ago and most of the models were combined to fill out the Knabe line. Still it would be hard to say what the differences are between a Yamaha sold in Vietnam vs. a Samick brand sold in Vietnam if we base our experience on the specs of those models here.

The overall minimum quality from either factory worldwide is considered pretty good even if they are entry level. Rich touches on a good point that without good prep and maintenance, entry level pianos become unpleasant very quickly. That we can see from here. It's good that you have a plan for service. Beyond that, its difficult to advise you without knowing more about either the new or the used pianos.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
V
VinV Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Manufacturer specs for brands really do vary country to country. Here in the US, the Kohler & Campbell brand was discontinued several years ago and most of the models were combined to fill out the Knabe line. Still it would be hard to say what the differences are between a Yamaha sold in Vietnam vs. a Samick brand sold in Vietnam if we base our experience on the specs of those models here.

The overall minimum quality from either factory worldwide is considered pretty good even if they are entry level. Rich touches on a good point that without good prep and maintenance, entry level pianos become unpleasant very quickly. That we can see from here. It's good that you have a plan for service. Beyond that, its difficult to advise you without knowing more about either the new or the used pianos.

Thanks for your information. Actually I am looking for a decent old small Kawai (Yamaha is not the taste of my wife :)). Popular choices of old Kawai are BL and KU series, sometimes we can see KS2F one. Therefore I am considering New Samick ones (K&C or Samick brands). It’s pity that no Knabe in Vietnam.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High end speaker v.s. a real sound board
by NavH - 01/20/22 10:33 AM
VST? Get an external DAC.
by Bruce In Philly - 01/20/22 10:19 AM
Vertigo, Pianos, and Earbud Speakers
by ClsscLib - 01/20/22 10:07 AM
Welcome New Members!
by Piano World - 01/20/22 09:53 AM
Memorization: Corea vs. Zhdanov
by Emery Wang - 01/20/22 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,259
Posts3,162,473
Members104,096
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission