2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (Bett, Carey, Calavera, Abdol, CraiginNZ, Anevsky, anamnesis, 13 invisible), 4,475 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
After listening to a lot of Scarlatti Sonatas recently I could only conclude:
1. Most are in two parts
2. The first part contains around 4-6 themes A,B,C,D,... and Scarlatti often repeats a theme or phrase before going on to the next one
3. The second part usually begins with a development or variation of the A theme from the first part and then often reintroduces some of the other themes from the first part

Is the above correct? Can you add any more to this?
Do you think the form of the Scarlatti Sonatas was a precursor of the sonata form used by Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven? Thanks.

B
B
Scarlatti sonatas, like most Baroque instrumental sonatas and dances (in suites etc) are in binary form, the precursor to sonata form used in sonatas, symphonies etc by Classical composers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_form

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
some do really contain a kind of 'development' later to be found in the classic sonata, most do have a binary form, some don't because they are fugues, there is no standard.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
and Scarlatti didn't even call them 'sonate' but 'essercizi' so more étude-like, and right he was.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Online Content
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
....most do have a binary form, some don't because they are fugues, there is no standard.

.....and some others that aren't fugues have other structures too.
Like, these two, one of which I know because it was a specified piece in a Cliburn competition (early 1970's) and the other which has been much recorded, including by Horowitz:

Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
and Scarlatti didn't even call them 'sonate' but 'essercizi' so more étude-like, and right he was.

I thought only the first 30-or-so published ones were called that, and the rest were called either sonatas or something else.
(not sure at all, though)

OP Offline
I'm well aware that all of them are not in binary form and indicated that in my OP. Since the overwhelming percentage of them are in binary form, I'm interested if anyone can comment in more detail about the form of the ones in binary form.

Can anyone add or subtract from what I said in the OP. For example, is it true that the opening of the second part is almost always a variation or development of the first theme in the first part?

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Sonata form grew out of both binary and ternary. The big difference between binary and Sonata form is you don't tend to start the exposition with the first theme.

never taught a child who had poor technique, just poor practice
Online Content
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
....The big difference between binary and Sonata form is you don't tend to start the exposition with the first theme.

In which don't you?
(I thought and think you do in both, unless you mean something other than what I'm getting.)

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I'm well aware that all of them are not in binary form and indicated that in my OP. Since the overwhelming percentage of them are in binary form, I'm interested if anyone can comment in more detail about the form of the ones in binary form.

Can anyone add or subtract from what I said in the OP. For example, is it true that the opening of the second part is almost always a variation or development of the first theme in the first part?

What can be said of the thematic materials in Scarlatti sonatas is that there is no standard form. In fact Scarlatti was not a very formal composer and there isnt any documented and defined model that he followed. In that sense, his sonatas are not particularly anticipating the future classical sonata form.

There are multiple cases, some sonatas have a luxuriant number of themes which never repeat themselves, in some others he does reuse parts of the themes. In some sonatas the opening of the second half does reuse the first half opening theme completely or partially with or without new materials, in others it opens with new materials or materials borrowed from the first half but not necessarily the A thems (example K20). Usually the "development" if one can make such analogy (which is not really a development but more of a contrasting section) can reuse various materials from the first half.

I am not too sure what you mean by repeating the themes.

The only fairly constant model is that the material used to close the first part (usually followed by a final termination section) in the closing tonality is repeated, more or less, in the closing of the second half and of course in the tonic, but there isnt a complete restatement.

Blüthner model 6
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Scarlatti was just experimenting and trying new things, all in an attempt to keep his music fresh and not bore his patron. At least that is my opinion. He was writing within a framework that worked for him and trying new things within that framework. And keeping the length consistent.

After writing hundreds of them, he could probably come up with a new one without a lot of trouble. He had to average a new one every couple of weeks.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
B
BDB Offline
B
Most of the sonatas are in AABB binary form. but there are a few fugues and toccatas.

The sonatas we have are supposedly from the age of about 55 or so on. I once asked a friend of mine, a university music instructor, what he did before, and he said, "The same thing." He was probably improvising these things most of his life, and then decided to sell a few, followed by scribes writing them down, as I do not think there are any in his handwriting, although it has been quite a while since I read the Kirkpatrick book, so I am not sure.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
they are sonatinas

OP Offline
Originally Posted by MadLiszt
they are sonatinas
Sonatinas usually refer to shorter and easier sonatas that are still in the classical sonata form used by Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven. The Clementi Sonatinas would be a prime example. Scarlatti Sonatas don't fit that description.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
....The big difference between binary and Sonata form is you don't tend to start the exposition with the first theme.

In which don't you?
(I thought and think you do in both, unless you mean something other than what I'm getting.)
Throwing a wobbly there. I meant in the development.

Another big difference will be in the recap.

Last edited by chopin_r_us; 11/03/21 11:20 AM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Do you think the form of the Scarlatti Sonatas was a precursor of the sonata form used by Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven? Thanks.

Not really.

SRF
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
To some extent they must have been - highly influential from the day they were first published in London in 1738. Also contemporary Italian Opera Buffa arias (not your standard da capo ones) were important for sonata form's development..

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Happy 4th!
Happy 4th of July
Happy 4th!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chord help
by Moo :) - 07/05/22 02:18 AM
Yamaha U3 or equivalent upright
by Tom Ryshka - 07/05/22 01:35 AM
A comparison of two very different pianos!
by Joseph Fleetwood - 07/04/22 02:17 PM
Home Studio Recordings on Bosendorfer 225
by James Gordon - 07/04/22 01:39 PM
Looking for good online piano course for beginner
by mwsheeler - 07/04/22 12:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,802
Posts3,205,422
Members105,714
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission