2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (anotherscott, blueviewlaguna., anamnesis, andrea83, Albertan, Bill McKaig,RPT, An Old Square, 36251, clothearednincompo, 17 invisible), 1,375 guests, and 471 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Calikokat, and welcome to the PW forums. Always loved your YouTube performances, so nice to see you here.

I recorded this just for the sake of this discussion, from a pre-made MIDI file (not my playing). I have almost the same setup as you have, except for a Scarlett 2i4, which shouldn't be any different from the 2i2 as to how the recordings sound.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oj30q07m7jxtu6/calikoKatest.wav?dl=0

Therefore I'm curious to know what you think - doesn't sound horrible to my ears, but then again - my ears are my ears, if you know what I mean.

I used the default Classic setting, no tweaking whatsoever, and then used Audacity to render the first minute of the roughly seven minutes long MIDI file. If I were recording my own performance, I would probably change a lot of settings.

PS I will probably delete this file in a few days, since it might be breach of copyright - not my playing as I said. It's only here for the sake of this discussion, and will be removed when this issue of sound quality is sorted out.

Last edited by TheodorN; 10/29/21 05:57 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
TheodorN

Your file sounds just like the OP’s first file.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good, then we know there's nothing wrong with Calikokat's set up. The biggest difference I heard between his two recordings was that the bass was quite a lot deeper in the second one than in the first (bad) recording.

Maybe the Garritan CFX needs to be tweaked a lot to sound good. I believe a lot of people who upload recordings of Garritan CFX, do so through Focusrite Scarlett interfaces, as it's widely regarded as a good audio interface. Don't think the Scarlett 2i2 is the culprit, at least.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Good, then we know there's nothing wrong with Calikokat's set up. The biggest difference I heard between his two recordings was that the bass was quite a lot deeper in the second one than in the first (bad) recording.

Maybe the Garritan CFX needs to be tweaked a lot to sound good. I believe a lot of people who upload recordings of Garritan CFX, do so through Focusrite Scarlett interfaces, as it's widely regarded as a good audio interface. Don't think the Scarlett 2i2 is the culprit, at least.

One that just one mic perspective?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Chose just the default (first) setting from the Classic perspective, think it's the Close microphone and the Ambient mic pairs together.

Me on YouTube

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Hi Calikokat, and welcome to the PW forums. Always loved your YouTube performances, so nice to see you here.

I recorded this just for the sake of this discussion, from a pre-made MIDI file (not my playing). I have almost the same setup as you have, except for a Scarlett 2i4, which shouldn't be any different from the 2i2 as to how the recordings sound.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oj30q07m7jxtu6/calikoKatest.wav?dl=0

Therefore I'm curious to know what you think - doesn't sound horrible to my ears, but then again - my ears are my ears, if you know what I mean.

I used the default Classic setting, no tweaking whatsoever, and then used Audacity to render the first minute of the roughly seven minutes long MIDI file. If I were recording my own performance, I would probably change a lot of settings.

PS I will probably delete this file in a few days, since it might be breach of copyright - not my playing as I said. It's only here for the sake of this discussion, and will be removed when this issue of sound quality is sorted out.

Thanks...your audio sounds great...i am thinking of getting back to basics...using the stand alone Garritan player .. classic ..basic setting...i would be very happy if it sounded like your file smile maybe the problem is the clavinova and it needs a different velocty setting then what is default...

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by JaneF
As others have suggested, try simplifying things to narrow down your issue.

What I'd suggest is to try the Garritan standalone.
In Tools/Preferences be sure the Focusrite is selected as the audio device. (And ASIO if you're using Windows).

Plug headphones directly into the Scarlett.
Play a few notes by mouse-clicking keys on the keyboard in the Garritan GUI.
Then play the same notes on your CLP.

Make sure you know what you're hearing there.

Then use the buttons on the lower left of the GUI to load a MIDI file. Play it. Check the sound with the headphones still plugged directly into the Scarlett as you try different settings in the Garritan.

Then work farther out.

Thanks...i will compare the sound when pessing the key in the GUI versus the sound when i press the clavinova key....Hopefully they are the same smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You're welcome, glad my effort helped somewhat. Yeah, recording as audio in the standalone player is a quick and easy way to record and enough for maybe most of us. Eliminates the need to dig into complicated DAW settings. The velocity curve may need some tweaking, absolutely - the default curve may be suitable for some instrument models, but not other ones.

Just to clarify my recording process, I forgot to mention I first rendered the MIDI in Reaper, and only afterwards cut out the one minute beginning in Audacity. I might have gotten similar results by recording directly in the standalone player, would want to try that if only because I'm curious myself, if it would lead to a similarly sounding recording.

Me on YouTube

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Rendered the same MIDI file in the Garritan Player Interface, and I couldn't hear that it was any different from the Reaper recording. Mayber sharper ears would hear a difference.

I noticed the Garritan Player rendered as 16 bits, but Reaper as 32 bits. Bitrate and other settings can be changed in Reaper, but I couldn't see that there was any way to tweak the render settings in the Garritan Aria Player.

That's probably why I would personally record in Reaper, if I were recording the Garritan CFX. I like to have control over the settings, though it's not absolutely necessary, if one is satisfied with the outcome from the Aria Player.

Me on YouTube

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Factory silent options
by Gombessa - 01/26/22 11:23 AM
History of Yamaha U1 price
by VeritasNL - 01/26/22 10:25 AM
Where to find a concert grand to play
by Keyburn - 01/26/22 08:42 AM
17th Adilia Alieva International Music Competition
by Alex-Peter - 01/26/22 06:21 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,362
Posts3,164,093
Members104,170
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission