2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (An Old Square, anotherscott, ajf0016, 8ude, AlphaBravoCharlie, Animisha, 36251, 22 invisible), 820 guests, and 517 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
From the middle of the 20th century to our time every kind of pianist from beginner to concert pianist caught in the infinite loop of same pieces over and over again there is a fixed classical repertoire that doesn't change involves beethoven, chopin, bach, mozart, schubert, schumann, schoenberg, rachmaninoff, debussy, haydn, alkan, scriabin, moszkowski, busoni, stravinsky, prokofiev etc. ) I can't count them all in here but you can fill in the blanks we are playing the same old repertoire until get tired of it there is nothing new there is nothing anything new! no new composers appeared like in the 19th and 20th masters. I'm tired of hearing beethoven sonatas, chopin ballades, schubert impromptus or prokofiev concertos and there is no solution to this we keep repeating ourselves mindlessly. After a certain point you can clearly see the big picture. We are like fish in the tank!

Last edited by Batuhan; 10/27/21 09:41 PM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There is plenty of new music but it's being scoffed at for being either too avant-garde or merely entertainment for the masses.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Batuhan
there is nothing anything new! no new composers appeared like in the 19th and 20th masters.

There is very much new repertoire for pianists of all levels! Seek the internet and thou shall find.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
There's plenty of innovation; it's just garbage. The 20th century was a mix of genius and idiocy, which led us to a new century of just idiocy (so far).

C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
If you check out Hyperion Record's catalog, e.g. the Romantic Piano Concerto series, you'll find that there is a vast landscape of music hitherto unheard of - many of these in fact were premiere recordings.

But at the same time, as you listen to them you get the sense of why the standard repertoire are considered masterpieces. There are many gems in the lesser known works, but not all of them can be described as 'unjustly neglected'.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm tired of hearing beethoven sonatas, chopin ballades, schubert impromptus or prokofiev concertos and there is no solution to this we keep repeating ourselves mindlessly. After a certain point you can clearly see the big picture. We are like fish in the tank!

What the world needs is more composers who write music that sounds like Chopin

Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Romantic music was used as bso by the new rulling classes, depicting their raise to power in the new industrialized world

Once the bourgeoisie finished its raise as new rulling class of the world it needed no more any heroic music, because history was finished. This happened around the corner between 19 and 20 century. And that's why 19c music is so worshipped and 20c so underrated.

And it also explains why chinese are so keen on romantic music. It's the new eastern bourgeoisie raising to power, using the same music western bourgeoisie used 2 centuries ago. Fascinating process.

Music written after that era falls into intellectual exercise for a very small audience, or cheap entertainment for the lower classes.

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
I'm tired of hearing beethoven sonatas, chopin ballades, schubert impromptus or prokofiev concertos and there is no solution to this we keep repeating ourselves mindlessly. After a certain point you can clearly see the big picture. We are like fish in the tank!

If there were new music that sounds like Chopin, many would complain that was not as good as Chopin.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

If there were new music that sounds like Chopin, many would complain that was not as good as Chopin.
FWIW, there is plenty of neo-romantic music, mostly coming from Hollywood and Broadway. You might not like it but I think John William's scores can be considered part of the Western cultural canon and Broadway musicals have as much cultural impact as the great operas of the 19th century.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That would be awesome imagine someone compose 4 new ballades and that sound exactly like chopin

Last edited by Batuhan; 10/28/21 02:02 PM.

M
M
There are a lot of good modern composers, unfortunately they are hard to find because mainstream piano music is now repesting 4 bars for 5 minutes. A lot of modern artist are doing it. Look Hania Rani, Einaudi, Max Richter and many many others.

Good ones are Rzewski, Alain Lefevre, Lutoslawki, and are fee others. I do not have names in my mind though at the moment.
There is good trend now that top pianists who are recording for major starter to record more of what they want so we can listę to new modern or sometimes old composers.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
There are plenty of living composer-pianists and pianist-composers writing piano music in a contemporary idiom but which is still accessible (unless you're completely wedded to simple 'tunes'). And I'm not talking minimalism or pseudo-minimalism either.
Like these:

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
B
B
Apropos of my previous post - just in case anyone thinks that contemporary classical composers are incapable of writing simple tonal melodies that stay in one's mind -, here's one written a few years ago, though admittedly for a movie score:

.....and yes, it really is as simple as it sounds: everyone can easily sight-read it (as long as you can sight-read in D flat major smirk ). The sheet music is available from Faber.

Of course, this is more typical of Adès's piano music for the concert hall:

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
As an artlover I like to watch Vermeer paintings, or van Gogh's, even the odd Picasso, or to see a ballet like the Nutcracker or Romeo and Juliet, even the odd Sacre du printemps, or go to an opera like Orfeo, or Zauberflöte and even the odd Elektra, or read and re-read books that I like, say 'War and piece', or 'A la recherche du temps perdu' or even the latest novel 'Crossroads', as a pianist I like to play Bach, Chopin, Prokofiev, or even the odd contemporary piece, we all here are artlovers, old and new should be cherished, but old should not be scorned just because it is old, that is iconoclasm of the simplest kind, don't burn history: build on it.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Online Content
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
As an artlover I like to watch Vermeer paintings, or van Gogh's, even the odd Picasso, or to see a ballet like the Nutcracker or Romeo and Juliet, even the odd Sacre du printemps, or go to an opera like Orfeo, or Zauberflöte and even the odd Elektra, or read and re-read books that I like, say 'War and piece', or 'A la recherche du temps perdu' or even the latest novel 'Crossroads', as a pianist I like to play Bach, Chopin, Prokofiev, or even the odd contemporary piece, we all here are artlovers, old and new should be cherished, but old should not be scorned just because it is old, that is iconoclasm of the simplest kind, don't burn history: build on it.
Of course. Isn't one of the characteristics of the greatest classical rep that one can hear it many times and not get bored?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Indeed and of course, hence my remarks, I disagree with the OP.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! 1965 Mason and Hamlin BB
by cschuh1 - 12/08/21 10:15 AM
A Steinway that sounds like a Bechstein?
by cygnusdei - 12/08/21 09:55 AM
Piano height
by Dantheboogieguy - 12/08/21 07:57 AM
Another question on monitors
by Ubu - 12/08/21 07:44 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,446
Posts3,151,459
Members103,556
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission