2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (An Old Square, Boboulus, brdwyguy, Bill McKaig,RPT, Animisha, BravoRomeo, 36251, Ben T., benz-tech, 8ude, 19 invisible), 742 guests, and 471 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi there.

I am practicing for my grade 8 exam and I am really having difficulty adjusting to my teacher's piano which has a lighter action than my piano at home. I thought heavier action makes lighter action easier to play.

Not sure what is wrong. When I practice at home it's all fine. I tried playing on heavier weights piano in stores and no issues. Unfortunately, this is not the case for lighter action piano - It is awful when I play on lighter action pianos especially for fast pieces. Does anyone here have the same problem as me? What did you do to overcome it? The awful playing is hindering my lesson progress. Every week I go there to be picked at for wrong dynamics when I am fully aware of the right dynamics and try my best not to get it wrong on my teacher's piano.

This is what I think is happening.
For slower pieces the beginning is always a little off but after 2 bars my hands figure out the force balance and the rest of the piece will be okay. But for fast pieces, with all the running notes and dynamics, there is not enough time to find the right balance??!!!

I don't always pick the right words when I speak. That's why I love music. I never have to worry about picking the right words with music.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ask your teacher if you can start with a few scales and arpeggio runs to warm up and adapt to the piano.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think that most pianists, even at the highest level, have this problem to some degree. It is not true that practicing on a normal or somewhat heavy action makes a lighter action easier to play. Playing on a heavy action, assuming it's not unreasonably heavy, might build up a little finger strength or endurance. Practicing on a piano whose touch is much lighter or much heavier than your lesson piano will not help playing on the lesson piano.

I remember practicing the score of some musical on a pretty heavy M&H(the actions at the beginning of the Burgett era Masons were quite heavy) and then going to the rehearsal that used a Clavinova. For the first 15 minutes to half hour I couldn't control the keys at all. I compare it to going from an old normal typewriter to an electric typewriter with its much lighter touch.

You should discuss this with your teacher. It's possible that a few minutes of playing before the lesson will be enough to adjust to the action, but that may not be enough although it should help some. Practicing on lighter actioned pianos can help, but that's not a realistic possibility for many.

It's possible that with more general experience and with more experience on your teacher's piano, you will find it easier and easier to adjust to that piano. For example, my problem on the Clavinova mentioned above only occurred during the first rehearsal on the instrument even though I was still practicing on the much heavier M&H in between rehearsals.

How long have you been taking lessons on this teacher's piano?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/26/21 12:59 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I practiced on a piano with very heavy action for four decades. I negatively adapted to the heavier key resistance by playing with hand tension and by muscling my way through pieces. I had no idea I was doing this until I played on other pianos. On the plus side, it made my hands strong. On the negative side, it slowed me down, made my tone harsh and gave me less dynamic control. It took me a long time to overcome that tension but it made a huge difference in my playing and now I avoid pianos with heavy action. If tension is the cause of your distress I suggest you talk to your teacher about it.

Best regards,

Deborah
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
If you can afford it, buy a small touch-sensitive keyboard or controller with light action, for instance Swissonic EasyKey 49, and start practising on it for some time. You'll learn to adapt.

I have a VPC1 which is a heavy controller, and during my holiday I brought the Swissonic. In the beginning it all sounded horrific, and I thought I would only use it to practise the correct finger on the correct key at the correct time for a new piece, and forget about the dynamics. But after a week or so, I noticed that I started to get some control, and eventually I could play with dynamics. Not as well as on my VPC1 obviously, but much better than I had expected.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! 1965 Mason and Hamlin BB
by cschuh1 - 12/08/21 10:15 AM
A Steinway that sounds like a Bechstein?
by cygnusdei - 12/08/21 09:55 AM
Piano height
by Dantheboogieguy - 12/08/21 07:57 AM
Another question on monitors
by Ubu - 12/08/21 07:44 AM
Music Books by Glen Rose
by john fh - 12/08/21 05:35 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,444
Posts3,151,437
Members103,556
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission