2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3166418 10/25/21 08:54 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hello everybody.

I didz a square rebuild, it wuz hardses, no do again, EVERZ, I can haz cheezburger nao?

Seriously, hi.

Happy to answer questions.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
And to think I was offered an old Steinway square grand for free and declined...

Oh well...

Welcome to Piano World! And, yea, by all means, have you a cheeseburger now. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
I don't think I've ever heard a square grand with this much sustain before, so you must have done something right..
Not sure why, but when you alternate softly between notes below the left-hand end of the fallboard nameplate, it reminds me of the sound of playing harmonics on a guitar. There's maybe a bit of clanking to be resolved there after you've finished with your cheeseburger? wink

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Rickster
And to think I was offered an old Steinway square grand for free and declined...

Oh well...

Welcome to Piano World! And, yea, by all means, have you a cheeseburger now. smile

Rick

Thanks! But you were right to decline sorry to say. This has had special attention.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ
I don't think I've ever heard a square grand with this much sustain before, so you must have done something right..
Not sure why, but when you alternate softly between notes below the left-hand end of the fallboard nameplate, it reminds me of the sound of playing harmonics on a guitar. There's maybe a bit of clanking to be resolved there after you've finished with your cheeseburger? wink

If you'll read the text on youtube that goes with the video the harmonic sound will be explained.

N
N W Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I can't find any text on youtube...

Nick, ageing piano technician
A
OP Offline
A
Short version: I invented a thing for this piano.
When the left pedal is depressed, the 19 notes from C3 through F#4 all play the octave fifth harmonic instead of the fundamental.
Can be used with or without the right sustain pedal at will.
So C3 will play G4, F#4 will play C#6, etc.
Light foot pressure combined with light playing produces a very pure harmonic tone, heavy foot pressure combined with heavy playing produces a distorted tone and a knocking sound.
Many possible combos of foot pressure and finger force produce many possible sounds and tones.
Learning curve for pianist.

N W #3167042 10/29/21 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by N W

You have to click 'show more' to expand the video description.
"...it is the only piano in the world able to play the octave fifth harmonic instead of the fundamental when the left pedal is pressed."
I forgive myself for not expecting the piano to be equipped with a magical harmonic thingamajig. thumb

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ
Originally Posted by N W

You have to click 'show more' to expand the video description.
"...it is the only piano in the world able to play the octave fifth harmonic instead of the fundamental when the left pedal is pressed."
I forgive myself for not expecting the piano to be equipped with a magical harmonic thingamajig. thumb

Ha! smile

Now that your ears are primed for what's going on, have a re-listen.

This is the best six minutes out of twenty that my friend Melanie played last week, with some pretty good photos my sis took a few months ago. Missing from the photos are the damper stop rail (forgot to put it on, just attaches magnetically now, no stupid wires) and the lapis lazuli and opal bridge end piece (created since she took them), which covers the spot where the original left pedal mechanism attached to the bridge.

The harmonic effect is crystal clear in much of this recording. The mechanism that does this took over a dozen failed prototypes that ate up years, and then vast hours perfecting the last prototype design that actually worked.

Originally, the left pedal just interposed some felt in between the hammer and strings to produce a muted (dull boring bleh) sound. Having done maybe a dozen restorations of those on squares over the years, and being unwilling to do one yet again, I asked myself, what'd be cooler to make the left pedal do?

Answer: make it play the octave fifth harmonic instead of the fundamental, on as many notes in the center as possible, so that compositional possibilities that have never existed become possible.

Then it became just a matter of "how" (without knowing it was even possible).

The reason I lost my mind and did this is because of the provenance of the piano, being the first concert quality instrument to arrive in Santa Fe, and belonging to the most historically important family of that era and was the centerpiece of high society and culture at that time, in a city that's become known for its cultural richness.

S
S
This was a good read, very informative, there are few new ideas to know about.
know more: https://allroundclub.com/blog/category/music/

Last edited by Shina; 10/31/21 10:37 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
OH WOW! I really want to play this piano!

Or, better, have George Winston play it while I listen in person! And then maybe someone else atmospheric like Ludovico Einaudi... Or, those boys can stay home and I'll just play. Wow, I'm listening for a second time, so interesting!

That's quite a thingamajig you've accomplished with the left pedal octave fifth harmonic option.

What was the inspiration for doing that?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you very very much!

Inspiration for that, long story.

I've tuned for Mssr. Geo. Winston in concert twice (at least, long career + failing brain cells).

No, yeah, just twice.

In fact, he's on my short list of possible buyers.

But don't tell him yet, lol.

He don't know this exists.

I'm having MANY local pianists playing that for recordings soon, will be on youtube... Bach, Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Joplin, etc.

And OMG, I want to hear Satie and Debussy on this SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad.

Suggestions for pieces to play on this !&(*&#$@ beast welcome from anyone.

(Sentimental Walk by Vladimir Cosma already on it. GAWD, that's a simple piece to die for.)

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission