2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (88/10, AprilE, Bett, BravoRomeo, CentauriB, AlphaTerminus, David B, Deltajockey, 6 invisible), 905 guests, and 484 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello,

I was looking through some pieces over at pianosyllabus.com and came across Beethoven piano sonata no. 9 in E major

https://pianosyllabus.com/x-detail.php?ref=52193559

At measure 23 there are slurred staccatos, which seems like an oxymoron to me. I'm curious how this would be played? Judging from the recording it sounds like the pianist gives them their full value, but doesn't exactly slur them? it's hard to tell with the reverb and all

Secondly, I kind of can't believe this piece is only grade 8. It seems more virtuosic to me. Especially when the grade 8 benchmark piece is this mozart sonata:

Which seems significantly easier to me.

Any thoughts?

My youtube channel where I discuss theory, performance, cover some tunes, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCruDLJseRHB_04Zwz0NXVGg
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That is called leggiero. It means you play the notes lightly, without pressure and usually somewhat softly. They are neither staccato nor legato but somewhere in between.

I haven’t checked the difficulty of the piece but all of Beethoven is difficult to play well.

Best regards,

Deborah
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Imagine if you have to play the C major scale as legato as possible, but with your index finger only. That's the articulation that is intended with the symbol, which is referred to as portato. The equivalent articulation in string instrument can be achieved by playing a passage in a single bow (which normally would be legato) but with each note slightly accented. In wind/brass instruments it's achieved by articulating the tongue, also within a single breath.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
D
D
I learned it when I was choosing my G8 ABRSM pieces, back in the day when you still had to play a complete sonata. I believe that it is one of his easier sonatas. I don't remember it being any more fearsome than the other pieces.
(G8 is the top grade of the standard syllabus of the ABRSM and may correspond to another system's higher grade.)

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
The best i sto listen to Fitch explaining what it is. at 4.50 but the whole vid is interesting.

R
R
And, yet, here is Leslie Howard at 1:45 saying to use half-pedal.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
You might find it interesting that in the Andante of Mozart K. 283, most people play the subject as if it were portato (with or without pedal) - even though the notated articulation is staccato. It seems that only Pires plays it staccato, and even then she's not consistent as she disregards the staccato in the fourth beat.

[Linked Image]

A rising tide lifts all the boats
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oops. Looks like I mixed up leggiero and portato. That’s what I get for posting after a long day. Apologies.

Best regards,

Deborah
It looks like your initial question was answered. I actually think Beethoven often isn't quite as challenging as it initially seems, at least playing all the notes. Not that the music isn't frightfully difficult in interpretation and musicality, rather the music is very textured and layered which makes it sound grander than something like Mozart, which can prove to be very awkward and difficult because of how scant it is. I also think the Beethoven isn't as difficult as it seems because it's such a joy to play. It is so easy to get lost in practicing a Beethoven sonata and it tends to fit really nicely in the hands. I recommend trying the Op. 14 No. 1. I've played its sister work and it's great as well, similar in difficulty. Both works have movements 1&2 or 2&3 listed as a Grade 10 in RCM selection, which is approx. ABRSM Grade 8.

Edit: difficulty is obviously very subjective, but I think that the two works are in the same ballpark personally

Last edited by 13bwl; 11/03/21 12:17 PM.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
The articulation is portato. It is all over the scores of Debussy's piano music

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Howard Ferguson, in his edition of Beethoven's Bagatelles, explains that Beethoven always used the "staccato" dot under a slur - which means mezzo-staccato - and the upright wedge to indicate a normal staccato in the Bagatelles. I used to think slurred dots meant portato in the Op 126 Bagatelles until I read Ferguson's notes properly. Not sure if this applies to all Beethoven.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sandalholme
Howard Ferguson, in his edition of Beethoven's Bagatelles, explains that Beethoven always used the "staccato" dot under a slur - which means mezzo-staccato - and the upright wedge to indicate a normal staccato in the Bagatelles. I used to think slurred dots meant portato in the Op 126 Bagatelles until I read Ferguson's notes properly. Not sure if this applies to all Beethoven.
What's the difference between mezzo staccato and portato?

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by sandalholme

That is a theory which does not have consensus. In the early compositions of Beethoven, one will find both the dot (unslurred) and the dash. Beethoven was using both, with the dash indicating a somehow more sharper staccato. For example in the opus 33, the first edition published in 1803 does show both dots and dashes, which is confirmed by the autograph. When slurred the dots indicates a portato, but as usual, the exact duration is just a matter of musical appreciation.

There is no doubt that Beethoven made a difference. The problem is that editors were rather casual and Beethoven writing is not always clear. So in many cases editors either aligned all marks on dots or dashes or interpreted them. For many sonatas the autograph is lost and so we cant check. In that case the usual policy of modern urtext is to use either only dots or dashes (when they do use both signs) except for the portato which is always dots. It is then to the pianist to decide of the exact nature of the mark, accentuation and duration.

Later in his career, Beethoven seems to have simplified his writing and unslurred dots appear rarely in the autographs that survived.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
You might find it interesting that in the Andante of Mozart K. 283, most people play the subject as if it were portato (with or without pedal) - even though the notated articulation is staccato. It seems that only Pires plays it staccato, and even then she's not consistent as she disregards the staccato in the fourth beat.

[Linked Image]

Pires is using an urtext edition which has a wedge/dash on the 4th beat - stacatto for that note is out of the question regardless, in my opinion.

I would upload the picture I took of my edition to demonstrate, but I guess you can't do that on this forum.

Last edited by Mattardo; 11/04/21 02:34 PM.
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by cygnusdei

[Linked Image]

Mozart used most frequently the wedge for staccato, though not consistently. He used the dot in certain specific cases, certainly for portato when slurred and also very often for groups of notes in particular repeated notes. It usually stands for a very mild staccato with a light touch, nearly non legato.

Even when notated with a wedge, the exact duration of the staccato is anyway always subject to musical context.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Good price for new Shigeru SK-2?
by yli030 - 11/29/21 11:17 PM
Roland Juno DS using samples
by DaveII - 11/29/21 06:14 PM
Where to buy this piano bench?
by cesardeon - 11/29/21 06:13 PM
Unison smear
by RonTuner - 11/29/21 04:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,309
Posts3,149,650
Members103,465
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission