2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
Hi,

Trying to learn a new piece and running into the following measure. What would be the correct approach to attack these notes with overlapping duration? Do you play the C in the left hand, use the pedal and release when the right hand plays the same note or do you place the C in the left hand, hold it then release it when the right hand comes in? I've played music before where the overlapping notes come in at the same time, but this is the first time I encounter them a 16th rest apart.

See below:

[img]https://ibb.co/6tXsJHc[/img]

Thanks in advance!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
The music may have been written for an instrument with 2 manuals, e.g. harpsichord. What you could do is sustain the second C for 3/16 time. But if the tempo is quite fast, sustaining or not will make little difference I think.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I would play both C's in time with left hand, holding the second one for the remainder of the beat so that it is held until the rest in the lower voice occurs on the 2nd beat.

Using a light pedaling to sustain the lower voice C for its full beat would be the pianistic interpretation, and how I likely would play it, but using no pedal and having a gap would not be incorrect. Repeated notes on organ are sometimes shortened interpretively even when in the same voice due to resonance and reverb effects.

Try it with and without pedaling and decide which you like better.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
So the above is clear, the light pedal would not be held to the rest but just until the 2nd C was played if it were to be used. Holding it for the full beat so that the arpeggiated C major chord in the upper voice was sustained would result in a loss of clarity of voice and would draw attention to the contrast relative to the majority of time when the pedal was not used. This also would be the potential motivation for using no pedal if you felt that even light pedaling was detracting from overall clarity.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
A
OP Offline
A
It is from a piano sonata, the temp is allegro so definitely not slow.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Identifying the piece and composer would help.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission