2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (AprilE, AWilley, Abdol, Beansparrow, An Old Square, accordeur, Bostonmoores, 36251, anotherscott, 6 invisible), 1,195 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eddiepiano
I couldn't believe how much I liked GF3. It's heavenly! They kept the good things of the GF1 and it's like they regulated it very, very well. The GF3 is also on the lighter side. But there is no trace of the spongy, fluffy, bouncy feeling of the GF1. It a tad firmer, less loose, with a harder bottom, more consistent. It feels amazing. And very quick and responsive.

This pretty much contradicts what you wrote in the very first post of this thread:
The biggest disappointment were the Kawai Grand Feel actions. I tried the CA79/99 multiple times, and while they really are very good playable and delicate in touch also high in the keys and the black keys, I just hated the overall feeling of the action. To light, fluffy, bouncy, unsubstantial and spongy at the same time.

OP Offline
Yes, I have to admit, that at this point I had played the CA79/99 only once (one year ago) and because I couldn't perfectly remember my impression I transferred my impressions of the MP11SE Grand Feel 1 to the GF3 in the CA79/99. That wasn't honest and I'm sorry. I just couldn't imagine that they feel this different.

Roland FP-30 | Pianoteq 7
OP Offline
Hello,

Just to assure myself I visited Justmusic again and played the CA79, CA99 and NU1X.

I still liked the GF3. BUT: the GF3 on CA79 and CA99 felt significantly different. The CA99 felt light, but firm with harder bottom, the CA79 felt looser and bouncier (a bit more like GF1). I testet it again and again and this was my impression. Also the CA79 had a larger way to the bottom/dip. The looser CA79 GF3 wasn't to my taste. I don't know if these are regular tolerances in the GF3, but for me this wasn't a good sign.

I liked the speaker system of the CA99 better than the CA79, creating a more vibrant and resonant sound, but also a bit boxy, with a little exaggerated bass and a bit muffled. It sounded way, way better than my Roland FP-30 though, but still clearly digital.

Then I went to the NU1X. The real action grew on me. I wrote that it felt a bit shallow and stiff, and yes, it does directly compared to actions of larger uprights or grands. But I had great control over everything, it was very direct and fast and the real let off was such a pleasure for my hands. IMO the speaker system is also better on the NU1X, providing a powerful, but much clearer sound. And I like the samples of the Yamaha better. Somehow they are cleaner, I like the tone of the CFX better then of the SK-EX. And the NU1X looks better too.

I hooked up my Laptop with Pianoteq. This changed everything. I don't know why, but playing Pianoteq with the NU1X felt so unbelievably amazing and realistic that I really had flashbacks of playing an acoustic instrument. It felt so authentic. Pianoteq sounded so good and realistic through the speakers of the NU1X. With the U4 small/tall I had the feeling that I am playing a real acoustic instrument. The resonances were amazing, the middle section was singing, the highs sparkling, the base powerful and resonant, but not boomy. The combination of the real action, the real time modeling and the great speaker system blew everything I tried. It felt so alive, and I didn't felt so alive with the internal samples.

So the NU1X
- has a realistic action
- has better samples
- the better speaker sound
- the better design
- the more reliable user interface
- no known issues like clicky keys or rattling speaker
- and an audio interface that allows me to play Pianoteq or other VSTs through the speakers
- also imo still the more recognizable brand that makes it maybe easier to sell in the future

I'm sold. I just had to find a dealer... Justmusic says that they have no information and that it could be that they are no new NU1X this year.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm sold. I just had to find a dealer... Justmusic says that they have no information and that it could be that they are no new NU1X this year.

Here in Denmark, one dealer has one each of black, and white in stock. Also, Bauer-music in Germany seems to have the black one in stock.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Why not make an offer for the shop floor one you played, assuming there are no action problems from misuse, or bad cabinet damage in daily sight.

L
L
it's pretty interesting since I actually also got a new NU1X...
I tested CA-79 / CA-99 / Yamaha CLP 785 and even NV-5. From all of those I personally preferred the overall playability and feel of the NU1X.
The NV5 was nice as well, however it didn't justify the price jump of 2k in the U.S. compared to the NU1X.
I also do have VST Pianos like Pianoteq, Ravenscroft and ACD... and I can only agree that SOMEHOW the speaker system of the NU1X with its four tiny speakers and 90Watts sounds the best and cleanest and least boxy...
Moving in 4 weeks and getting the piano then... super excited since I am without a piano now again for a while :p

Previously: VPC-1 / CA-58 / CA-98 / CA-79
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by lovelovemale
it's pretty interesting since I actually also got a new NU1X...
I tested CA-79 / CA-99 / Yamaha CLP 785 and even NV-5. From all of those I personally preferred the overall playability and feel of the NU1X.
The NV5 was nice as well, however it didn't justify the price jump of 2k in the U.S. compared to the NU1X.
I also do have VST Pianos like Pianoteq, Ravenscroft and ACD... and I can only agree that SOMEHOW the speaker system of the NU1X with its four tiny speakers and 90Watts sounds the best and cleanest and least boxy...
Moving in 4 weeks and getting the piano then... super excited since I am without a piano now again for a while :p
Something not mentioned a lot, is that playing in the bass register you can feel the sound vibrations through the keys as well. At least you can on my NU1 so assume it's the same on the NU1X.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Also, Bauer-music in Germany seems to have the black one in stock.
Not anymore - I ordered it! I slept over it and I am now 100% certain that the NU1X ist the richt choice. smile

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Why not make an offer for the shop floor one you played, assuming there are no action problems from misuse, or bad cabinet damage in daily sight.
The NU1X at Justmusic is there for years and it has a lot of wear and play, you can really feel it in the action and it also looks very scratchy, so this was not an option.

@lovelovemale: Yeah, the NV-5 is great as well. I think the action of the NV-5 is a bit better. It looks a bit better too - but thats not worth 1500€ extra here in Germany imo. But: I like the Yamaha samples better, I like the simple UI better, and the speaker of the NU1X are on pair with the NV-5, which are also good. And the killer feature is for me the audio interface and that Pianoteq (and every piano I tested, Petrof, Blüthner, Steinway HB/NY/B, U4, Steingraeber, Bechstein) sounded really amazing. I can't stress that enough. It's like I felt that this is the way Pianoteq is supposed to feel and sound like, soooo much better than through studio monitors (when I ordered the Kawai MP11SE I tested monitors at Justmusic from Neumann, Genelec, Adam, Yamaha and others and it just didn't sound good and right).

Originally Posted by lovelovemale
Yes. For example the Roland LX 708 with 8 speakers sounded... horrific, imo. Very distant, low resolution. I think it's about the quality of the speakers, the resolution, quickness and and fidelity of the woofers and tweeters, not about the wattage and number. 8 bad speakers will sound bad, 2 good speakers will sound good. I think the speakers of the NU1X are better than the speakers of the N1X, too.

Last edited by eddiepiano; 10/07/21 05:44 AM.

M
M
Yes. For example the Roland LX 708 with 8 speakers sounded... horrific, imo. Very distant, low resolution. I think it's about the quality of the speakers, the resolution, quickness and and fidelity of the woofers and tweeters, not about the wattage and number. 8 bad speakers will sound bad, 2 good speakers will sound good. I think the speakers of the NU1X are better than the speakers of the N1X, too.

Please to not forget that by defition Roland Spekaers are optimized to Roland's piano sound, which more open and bright than Yamaha, and electronic somehow, and muffled sort of, as all modelled pianos. They chosen their speakers for a reason. I played few times on top LX Roland (15,17,LX 706), and I think they sound fantastic and lifelike.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not anymore - I ordered it! I slept over it and I am now 100% certain that the NU1X ist the richt choice. smile

Congratulations on reaching certainty (and on striking while the iron was hot). smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

Congratulations on reaching certainty (and on striking while the iron was hot). smile
Yes congrats from me too!

L
L
@eddiepiano: I can agree about Pianoteq... when I had my VPC-1 I also had JBL 308s with the 310S woofer... the system was really good but Pianoteq didn't sound natural.
On headphones Audio Technica AT 50mx it sounded really good though...
On my Kawai speakers CA-79 Pianoteq sounded really not good... the Kawai internal samples sounded pretty good though.
HOWEVER somehow again when I had the chance to play everything next to each other in the music store in Köln...

The NU1X was my favourite somehow... it sounded and felt sooo good :-O
I really don't know how the few small speakers of the NU1X sound so freaking good...
Again the NV-5 is also really nice! Just doesn't justify the price increase in my opinion.
I'M SO EXCITED EITHER WAY :)))

Previously: VPC-1 / CA-58 / CA-98 / CA-79
OP Offline
Thanks!

@lovelovemale: That so interesting that you have exactly the same impression! I also have a JBL 305 here (a bit smaller), but never use it with Pianoteq and my FP-30, because it somehow sounds not right for Piano. Looking forward to my NU1X. smile

OP Offline
I finally got my NU1X! It arrived a few hours ago with a professional piano delivery company. Everything works fine, the action is very even regulated, it looks good, plays very good and sounds excellent. The combination with Pianoteq is glorious. I am very satisfied. smile

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I finally got my NU1X! It arrived a few hours ago with a professional piano delivery company. Everything works fine, the action is very even regulated, it looks good, plays very good and sounds excellent. The combination with Pianoteq is glorious. I am very satisfied. smile
Congrats! Good choice of DP. Not sure about Pianoteq, crazy the inbuilt CFX, Bose (change from default key velocity), and CFIIII (voice 4?) sound fine.

J
J
Oh, congrats🎶🎉😊 The NU1X is a lovely instrument!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
OP Offline
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Congrats! Good choice of DP. Not sure about Pianoteq, crazy the inbuilt CFX, Bose (change from default key velocity), and CFIIII (voice 4?) sound fine.
Thanks!
I like the Yamaha CFX samples, there are better than Kawais, Roland's and Casio's built in solutions. But IMO the CFX still sound digital and a bit lifeless. Pianoteq sounds much more natural and alive to me, and plays even better. The NU1X with the Petrof Mistral warm is a dream. Until now I could only head Piaboteqs glory through headphones - bit now the NU1X excels at playing PIanoteq through the built in speakers. It sounds amazing imo.

I practiced today again and I'm very happy. The biggest differences are the higher speed of the action and the less strain due to independent hammers compared to the digital FP30 action. It's just wonderful.

Last edited by eddiepiano; 10/23/21 07:21 AM.

P
P
Congrats on the NU1x!

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
E
E
Hi all,

@eddiepiano: I have been reading through the thread and congrats on making a choice of DP. Some journey it seems ;-)

A slightly off-topic question relating to your Roland FP-30 which is more along my budget allowances: Can the FP-30 only be connected to the computer via bluetooth (for using Pianoteq or Galaxy Pianos) or is there another way? I've been skimming through the user manual but cannot see another way of connecting it ... ??

Enjoy playing ... smile

Cheers,

Jesper

Last edited by Evalon; 10/23/21 11:55 AM.
V
V
Roland fp-30 has midi out using the USB connector. For pianoteq or any other VST, using Bluetooth midi usually results in unplayable latencies.

The recent new model fp30x has both midi and audio in and out, through the usb connection. Thus, you can output from the computer to the roland and get the sound through the speakers.

Last edited by vagfilm; 10/23/21 12:25 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
*NEW* The Strolling LH Bassline
by Dfrankjazz - 12/01/21 10:54 PM
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
WNG Portable Piano pounder.
by jkess114 - 12/01/21 05:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,341
Posts3,150,101
Members103,489
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission