2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Two years ago, I decided to make a present of a good upright to the grown-up son of one of my closest friends, who was moving into a new house. He is a professional musician, making his living composing music for movies. A self-taught guitar virtuoso (spent time with Paco de Lucia), today he works mostly on DAW's and composes a lot of fusion music with asian influences, but also many other genres, including classic. He himself has a kid of fifteen, and the acorn never falling far from the tree has become a promising jazz piano student.

This was their first acoustic, these generations were brought up on keyboards. There was no space for a grand, but we decided to search for the best upright in Paris.
We narrowed down on the following :

Steinway V 125, 1997
Boston UP 132 PE, 2017
C. Bechstein Concert 8, 1990
Bösendorfer 130, 2012

All these pianos had been lightly used (except the Bechstein where the hammers showed some packing) and were in excellent condition, unrestored. We spent most of our time at the Steinway Showroom and at two independent dealerships. After a long process of trials by our 15-year old, who was remarquably unprejudiced ans unfazed by the fancy showrooms, I purchased the Bösendorfer for € 20.000.

It is a pleasure to feature this instrument in the following father and son video. Composition by Mathias Duplessy.

Last edited by Vikendios; 10/21/21 12:05 PM.

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Vikendios
Two years ago, I decided to make a present of a good upright to the grown-up son of one of my closest friends, who was moving into a new house. He is a professional musician, making his living composing music for movies. A self-taught guitar virtuoso (spent time with Paco de Lucia), today he works mostly on DAW's and composes a lot of fusion music with asian influences, but also many other genres, including classic. He himself has a kid of fifteen, and the acorn never falling far from the tree has become a promising jazz piano student.

This was their first acoustic, these generations were brought up on keyboards. There was no space for a grand, but we decided to search for the best upright in Paris.

Steinway V 125, 1997
Boston UP 132 PE, 2017
Bösendorfer 130, 2012

All these pianos had been lightly used (except the Bechstein where the hammers showed some packing) and were in excellent condition, unrestored. We spent most of our time at the Steinway Showroom and at two independent dealerships. After a long process of trials by our 15-year old, who was remarquably unprejudiced ans unfazed by the fancy showrooms, I purchased the Bösendorfer for € 20.000.

It is a pleasure to feature this instrument in the following father and son video. Composition by Mathias Duplessy.

Hello, I enjoyed watching and listening to your YT music video, and both you and your son play very well.

Plus, I know the experience of performing with your son was a great feeling!

The piano sounded great too, but I think the piano only compliments the skills and abilities of the pianist/musician. But it is nice to play on a great piano! smile

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Nice stuff! I remember when i was 15 and composing stuff. Wish my dad (or someone in the family) had been able to accompany me like that. Especially liked the Keith Emerson style time signature changeups in there. Very inventive and unexpected. Bravo!

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Nice! Something about the two of you and the lighting / camera angle of this video reminds me of Tom Waits. cool
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For reference, here's Tom at the piano, sounding like Sesame Street's Cookie Monster - rather an acquired taste. You've been warned. wink
Tom Waits - Ol' 55 with story intro

2014 Kawai K-500
1920s Sir Herbert Marshall Sons & Rose upright
Kurzweil PC3LE8 stage piano with Pianoteq 7
M
M
Great music, great playing!
And indeed, they look a bit like Tom Waits :-)

Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Rickster

Steinway V 125, 1997
Boston UP 132 PE, 2017
Bösendorfer 130, 2012

Hello, I enjoyed watching and listening to your YT music video, and both you and your son play very well.

Plus, I know the experience of performing with your son was a great feeling!

The piano sounded great too, but I think the piano only compliments the skills and abilities of the pianist/musician. But it is nice to play on a great piano! smile

The piano was a present to a friend’s son, not to his son. Right?

OP Offline
Yes. This is a three generations story : my friend, my friend's son Mathias (the composer/guitarist) and Mathias' own son Rehann (the young pianist). Of course I've known the latter two ever since they were babies. I myself have no children.

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson
The piano was a present to a friend’s son, not to his son. Right?

Yes. This is a three generations story : my friend, my friend's son Mathias (the composer/guitarist) and Mathias' own son Rehann (the young pianist). Of course I've known the latter two ever since they were babies. I myself have no children.

Okay, well, I guess I misunderstood regarding the father and son duet. But I still enjoyed the music.

I myself have two grown sons, both of whom are musicians, and much better musicians than me, and I've had the pleasure of performing in public with them both.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Very nice. Very nice indeed.

Steinway V 125, 1997
Boston UP 132 PE, 2017
Bösendorfer 130, 2012

I could lose myself in that music. Unfortunately I could never be able play it if i lived to be 1000 . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission