2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (ChrisGoesPiano, AmyBNE, Calavera, cygnusdei, CraiginNZ, 14 invisible), 512 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 528 of 530 1 2 526 527 528 529 530
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Mine is a whiny dog. My dog whines and barks when I make mistakes. I think he feels my hesitation before I make mistakes.

Amazing! You must have a very musical dog. wink

I’m not sure about his musicality. But both of my dogs stop to listen to any music coming from our neighbors house when we take a walk. Especially for piano sounds. He is cute but extremely annoying at times. I have to have a bag of treats when my friends are playing the piano at my house so that he won’t complain about their playing. When my piano teacher is playing, Charlie goes behind her chair and lie down to listen. I don’t need a snack. Maybe he just likes her.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
My last cat would ignore my practice until the piece became fluid (I called it ‘lesson ready’). Then he would jump up on his stool. Close his eyes and move his lips as if he was singing along. Particularly loved Chopin. 😸😸

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
L
L
It's been a while since I've been here. I'm an academic, and my work load has been immense, so I haven't been able to dedicate myself to the piano as much as I have in the past. But lately I've dusted off my Henle edition of Scarlatti works, and I've been toying with them lately. On a daily basis I've read through a couple of the andantes, and I've worked a little at difficult parts of some of the allegros.

For the past year I've mostly played Reynaldo Hahn and some easier Chopin and Scriabin. It was a bit of a shock to see how bad my technique is for the Scarlatti. Things like 3-5 trills seem currently beyond my abilities, and while I can plow through some of the passagework it sounds pretty brutal. Consequently I've been working mostly on tone control and articulation, drastically slowing down my playing of pretty much everything to minimize tension and focus on control as best as I can. It seems like every year I hit a technique wall that causes me to reappraise my approach and do some kind of ground-up renovation of my technique. Last year I worked my way out of most kinds of tension that have plagued me in the past, and now it seems like I'm focusing on precision and nuance, hoping that this is a key aspect that will help me in my goal of being fluid and supple.

Despite my struggles, I'm really surprised by Scarlatti's works. They're really inventive in terms of figurations and layouts, and I'm surprised by how fun they are.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by dogperson
My last cat would ignore my practice until the piece became fluid (I called it ‘lesson ready’). Then he would jump up on his stool. Close his eyes and move his lips as if he was singing along. Particularly loved Chopin. 😸😸

So you are a cat person too.
I think animals do have good ear.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member

Oh dear. My cat used to howl.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member

I have never had a dog that appeared interested in music —- sleeping by the piano? Of course. Any visible interest? Nope

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Back to Achievement of the week - what got you excited? smile

I have started to learn Bach's Minuet in D minor. When I saw the notes and listened to the lesson I thought it was a bit too difficult for me, but I thought I would give it a try. And it is actually quite within my limits. There is still weeks of work to do on this piece, but I was very happy to find that the transition from hands separate to hands together was not as bad - at all - as I had feared.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Learning the virtues of actively and consciously playing right on the tips of your fingers when playing fast passages. It seems to me that is the secret ingredient for developing blistering speed at the piano. I know because I recently tried it on some the hardest passages I had been struggling with throughout the years. This fundamental concept makes these passages much easier from what I have tried thus far. That's what got me excited actually in quite some time. I never knew because apparently no one ever told me for the past 40 years. frown

Last edited by Jethro; 10/21/21 11:24 AM.

Working on:
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
What a great teacher Josh is! I like the teacher who teach techniques rather than trying to teach interpretations. I came to the same conclusion after years of trials and errors. I resisted the curved finger concepts for as long as I could. My childhood teacher just hit my hand “There you did again! Told you not to crush the egg in your hand” and no one explained the reasons why curved fingers. I just thought it was strange.

I would add one more thing. Beginners may not be able to play with the tip of fingers right away. Jethro, you’ve been studying the piano for a while. If there are some beginners here frustrated with the curved finger technique because you don’t have finger independence yet, there is a quick way to get there. Try playing the whole passage with light staccato. It will force you to use the tip of the fingers snd your hand curves naturally. It will also preempt our tendency to hit neighboring keys. At least it worked for me😊

Last edited by FarmGirl; 10/21/21 01:48 PM.
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
What a great teacher Josh is! I like the teacher who teach techniques rather than trying to teach interpretations. I came to the same conclusion after years of trials an errors. I resisted the curved finger concepts for as long as I could. My childhood teacher just hit my hand “There you did again! Told you not to crush egg in your hand” and no one explained the reasons why curved fingers.

I would add one more thing. Beginners may not be able to play with the tip of fingers right away. Jethro, you’ve been studying the piano for a while. If there are some beginners here frustrated with the curved finger technique because you don’t have finger independence yet, there is a quick way to get there. Try playing the whole passage with light staccato. It will force you to use the tip of the fingers snd your hand curves naturally. It will also preempt our tendency to hit neighboring keys. At least it worked for me😊
Very interesting. I am forcing my hands to adapt to a more curved position when I practice now. This introduces some tension which I don't like but I figure with time my hand will adapt to this position. What I found is that with some of the quicker passages my hand automatically went into a more curled position just simply because that would be the only way I can even half attempt to play these passages. But taking a conscious approach of getting ON those fingertips really makes a difference rather than just doing the bare minimal just to make the passage playable. I never really studied my technique I just played and through the 6 or 7 years of piano lessons with good teachers I don't think most ever discussed the importance of hitting the keys with the tips of my fingers in fast passages. Either I misunderstood one of my teachers or she inadvertently did not give me complete information. I could swear in my 20's one of my teachers told me to play with the pad of my fingers and intuitively this seemed like it would give me the most control but trying to hit the keys with the tips of my fingers and with control of the dynamics is actually quite possible if not easier save for the most pianissimo of passages. The amount of effortless power you get from this position is amazing.

Working on:
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
The funny thing is when I first met her a few weeks ago I and I gave her any resistance she would take out an iPad and show me a video of Argerich and say, "Do you disagree with her?" Who can disagree with Argerich?

I think part of the trick is is just to curl the fingers just enough that you are striking the keys with the tips of your fingers. I don't think it has to be force nor do you have to think too hard about it. But I'm still learning.

Working on:
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I agree with you. I think the curved fingers is the home position. L I wrote it somewhere but lately it’s had to play a beginner sonatine by Kulhlao. Op 1 C major for getting into the community college music program. I was amazed. I played like a child prodigy (exaggeration, of course). I was getting the sound now that I got the curved hand with finger tip playing down. So I tried the mozart sonata facile I struggled before. The one starts with Do Mi So Si DoReDo (C—EG BCD C). I can play it now. With allegro. Smooth. Sounded good. I could not understand why it became easier at that time. I know now.
You nailed it. It’s the finger tip playing with curved hands. 😊😊😊

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I used to play the Mozart piece with heavy force. No matter how many times practiced I could not get it play well. It was not Mozart but sounded like Beethoven played on really bad piano with keys stuck here and there. Keys were not even at all.

P
P
Last Thursday I looked at a 1993 Kawai 5’5” baby grand piano at a piano store 3 hrs from my home in Montana. I played it in front of others that were in the store and felt like I did a really good job. I don’t play in front of anyone except my piano teacher. My hands were not even shaking. That made me feel real pleased with myself. Well that piano was delivered today and they took my 2 1/2 year old Kawai K-200. I really like the sound of it and it’s in excellent condition. Tuner will come in a few weeks. I’m super excited. I was like a kid at Christmas.

Pat, short for Patricia
Kawai KG-1 5’5” baby grand
Started piano lessons in my retirement, January 2018
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PatG
Last Thursday I looked at a 1993 Kawai 5’5” baby grand piano at a piano store 3 hrs from my home in Montana. I played it in front of others that were in the store and felt like I did a really good job. I don’t play in front of anyone except my piano teacher. My hands were not even shaking. That made me feel real pleased with myself. Well that piano was delivered today and they took my 2 1/2 year old Kawai K-200. I really like the sound of it and it’s in excellent condition. Tuner will come in a few weeks. I’m super excited. I was like a kid at Christmas.

Woo hoo, Pat! That is quite an achievement of the week. Congrats and warm wishes for many years of enjoyment

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Pat! It sounds wonderful.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Last night I practiced the piece to be submitted to the upcoming PW online recital. The result was satisfactory. Still have about a week to decide to keep the recording or make a new version. I've been practicing the piece for the past 2 weeks. Once I got a good recording, I can focus on playing other pieces.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have been so busy for some time now (and still am) with a massive software project so not been here a while, but today is a bit of a lull and I thought I would look in here. I have two things to be excited about.

After about 18 months I have finally got the whole of the 1st Movement of the Pathetique Sonata playable. I still make mistakes and its not very fluid in places, but I can legitimately say I know it all. I could already play the 2nd Movement (did it in a recital on here a few years back) which I have been keeping up all this time, and have now just started on the third movement.

The second achievement that got me excited is that for the first time I got to Level 7 in the Piano Marvel sight reading test. I got my best ever score of 683 as I couldn't play the level 7 piece at all well.
I've been stuck for a year in the mid 500 range, but just recently I have been regularly going over 600, and yesterday it just all came together.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by akc42
I have finally got the whole of the 1st Movement of the Pathetique Sonata playable.

Good to hear from you again! And congratulations on that first movement; if you could nail that one, you can surely get the last one also, and have the whole sonata. I've got the first two movements of the Moonlight down, but the third movement is somewhere hidden in the mists of the future. smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I have an achievement 😄

I completed all three performance of Chopin Ballade3. It got better increasingly and the last night’s performance was the best. There were a couple of spots I always had hard time and played with incorrect notes in a kind of fuzzy fashion. It’s the most difficult run right before the coda and the quick doted note chords in the coda. I carried them out correctly in time first time in performance. I’m happy.

I decided on my next Chopin piece too.
Scherzo number 1.

Looking forward to the journey.

Page 528 of 530 1 2 526 527 528 529 530

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,114
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission