2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (36251, An Old Square, anotherscott, ajf0016, 8ude, AlphaBravoCharlie, Animisha, 26 invisible), 847 guests, and 523 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3165427 10/20/21 09:22 PM
A
atat Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I quit piano when I was in my university years and a few years ago, returned to lessons for under two years. I took a longer than expected break and returned to lessons again recently. I completed my RCM grade 8 but getting back into practicing consistently is challenging.

I lost my job earlier this year and am finding it challenging to develop a routine that involves practice. It was a lot easier with a 9-5 job to practice before or after and even easier before I entered a relationship. I'm also working with a professional on my mental health.

My goal is to gain confidence in playing and become a lounge pianist.

If you are working a non 9-5 job, what are you doing to ensure a consistent practice schedule?

If you are in a relationship, what are you doing to manage both?

Please advise smile

atat #3165463 10/21/21 02:48 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm semi-retired. My weekly routine include going to the local supermarket with friends (share ride arrangement). Other days I'd volunteer at a 2nd-hand store sorting out items to be resold. Once a week I'd go bike riding with a group of seniors for 2 hours. In between I go to music practice with a music group once a week in the evening (2h) and to a piano teacher once a week in the evening (1h).

I am a night owl and tend to practice music at night. I have relatives overseas and spend a few months of the year with them so I'm used to staying awake at late hours. I don't have to worry about missing a day of practice since I practice late at night. My practice hour would start before midnight yesterday and into today so to speak.

When it comes to music practice, I do a lot of active as well as passive practice. Active meaning practicing a piece on a keyboard / piano. I'd be making recordings along the way. Passive practice is when I'm on the road going somewhere and listening to the playback of my pieces. Other times I'd be sitting down and reading the score of a new piece including time & key signature without actually playing. I learn as much listening to a soundtrack as actually playing.

During the pandemic lockdown, many indoor facilities closed including offices, stores & restaurants. People who dislike spending hours in front of a computer screen would be out bike riding during the day. When I'm inside, I also do music arranging (taking pieces that were written for other instruments and rework them as piano pieces). Many people who passed conservatory levels play from sheet music for piano but have not done any music arranging or composing. Working on pieces with your own edits is be time consuming but at the same time keep you engaged. You're trying out different ways to play a section of music by moving notes around on paper and trying the sequence on keyboard. Just trying a few notes to see how they sound would take up half an hour easily.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! 1965 Mason and Hamlin BB
by cschuh1 - 12/08/21 10:15 AM
A Steinway that sounds like a Bechstein?
by cygnusdei - 12/08/21 09:55 AM
Piano height
by Dantheboogieguy - 12/08/21 07:57 AM
Another question on monitors
by Ubu - 12/08/21 07:44 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,446
Posts3,151,460
Members103,556
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission