2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
32 members (Alex Hutor, busa, astrotoy, ando, cygnusdei, 11 invisible), 449 guests, and 417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sam S Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the general discussion thread for the Beginner Pieces Recital!

Please use this thread for any discussion of the performances. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate.

There are 3 levels of comments requested by performers. Please be sure to check the comment type requested and respect the performer's wishes.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:
Beginner Pieces Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the recital!

Sam

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
I don't think I can comment on every piece. I've listened to the first 20 now while finishing up some work here on early Saturday morning. Well played Animisha, Greta99, KevinM, winterflower, Peter071, drewpianoman, and Ido!

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
C
C
Animisha
I was so surprised and pleased to start off the recital by hearing a piece I've actually played. I haven't strayed far from method books yet, so that's unusual for me. I remember "Floating Down the River" as one of the more enjoyable pieces from level 2 of Alfred's Premier -- it was fun at that stage of learning to use the pedal and play some sweet sounding harmonies in a piece like this. I think I remember playing it at a rather slower tempo than yours, and I enjoyed hearing your version. The arpeggios sound nice at this pace. I also enjoyed hearing the "Together" duet from the series, which I've also played, but only the student part, as I've been going through these method books on my own -- it's interesting to hear the full duet arrangement. Thank you for also sharing so many other beginner pieces. It was interesting to hear a number of pieces from the Russian School of Piano Playing, which I have heard a lot about, but am not familiar with.

Greta99
Thank you for sharing a variety of eclectic beginner's pieces. I particularly enjoyed your performance of pieces from Gurlitt's "Little Flowers" -- played so fluidly and expressively. I have played some other very simple pieces by Gurlitt and have always enjoyed them. I love how his compositions for beginners feel like small tableaus of "real music": very encouraging to be able to play these as a beginner.

bSharp(C)yclist
It was fascinating to hear Reflections -- not a piece I'm familiar with, but I have played so much by Dennis Alexander in my method book series that it was immediately and unmistakably his composition, and sounded like an evolution and natural progression from many of his pieces I have played so far. An excellent rendition, of course, as I'm sure you're well past this material yourself. It is interesting to hear about how you're going back to simpler material and focusing on form and technique, and relaxation in particular. I did much the same after my first year, and decided to essentially go back to the absolute beginning with a children's method book series (rather than the adult method books I had used until then) in order to really focus on form and eliminating tension. I took it very slow, always keeping in mind posture, arm weight, rotation, centering, and keeping loose. It's been slow going, but I feel I am building a much more solid foundation of technique this time around. Hopefully you're finding going back to earlier material and working on form to be helpful as well.

KevinM
I really enjoyed hearing your rendition of the transcription of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik", I am only used to hearing this as orchestral music. Your performance was well played, and this sounded beautiful as piano music.

winterflower
I always enjoy hearing music by Florence Price. It was fascinating to hear her piece inspire your own compositions -- thank you for sharing them.

Peter071
I really enjoyed the mood of the music in "Ashran's Magic Carpet", and think you did well bringing it out. If you want to experiment with a different method of WAV to MP3 conversion, you may want to try using Audacity -- it's free software, and really easy to open a WAV file and export as MP3. I'm also recording onto a USB stick from my Yamaha, and this is how I converted it over.

drewpianoman
I love Satie as well -- one of the reasons I decided to try learning piano was the hope that I could eventually play pieces like this. I think you did a great job bringing out the lilting melancholy of this piece, well done.

Ido
I enjoyed all of these, and especially the Bach prelude. I agree that you had great expression in the piece, very nice phrasing and balance between the voices. I was also really pleased to hear the Satie piece! I mentioned above that I love Satie. Shortly afte I started learning, I was surprised and happy to discover that he had composed some easier pieces for children, and tried to learn the pieces from his mini-suite "Menus Propos Enfantins", including this one. I was still playing "five finger" pieces in fixed position then, so they seemed perfect. All the same, it took quite a while for me to learn the march, and the other pieces required better two hand coordination than I had at the time, just a handful of months into learning. Anyway -- well played, and a pleasure to hear this little march again.

vte
Well done on this piece, and your careful use of dynamics to bring out the lullaby feel.

Flygbladet
I'm glad you decided to share in this recital in the end, as I enjoyed this piece -- such a nice sounding little piece, and well played. When I'm ready to venture outside my method books again, I may well give this one a try.

lilypad
Thanks for sharing these -- I especially enjoyed the two pieces from the Prep A book. It's not too long ago that I played through a lot of very simple pieces like these, designed to introduce concepts like pedal use, broken chords, and legato vs. staccato. These are not from the method book series I used, but they sound well composed, managing to be musical as well as serving their purpose in introducing techniques.

Sam S
First of all, thank you for taking on the task of organizing these recitals. I listened to a number of them before, but not participated. Thanks as well for sharing some of the music from your wife's collection of beginner's pieces, and demonstrating some beginner's music played by someone at a more advanced level. I really liked the preludes by Barbara Arens.

Saan
Such a wonderful, and ever so slightly macabre, waltz. The swaying waltz melody and sweeping melody at the opening and first repeat are fantastic. Well played, and thank you for sharing this one.

karen627
Well done with this performance. I can imagine this really would have been a stretch if you've only been back to learning for a few months (I don't think I could have touched it). You make it sound polished, and like you are very comfortable with it, however. Thanks for sharing it, I'm happy to hear submissions from more of us who are still early beginners.

AndresVel
Thanks for sharing these, I enjoyed hearing more pieces from the Russian Piano School, which I've seen discussed on these and other forums quite a bit, but am not too familiar with. Your pieces sound great for being a bit over a year in, clearly you are being careful with using phrasing and articulation to bring out the musicality of each piece, and it shows. It sounds like there must have been some pretty significant jumps in "The Shepherd Boy", but it must be fun to be able to cover so much of the keyboard as a beginner as well.

thepianoplayer416
"Simple Gifts" is such a wonderful melody, and "Appalachian Spring" is a favorite of mine. I just recently played a different arrangement in my method book series, and enjoyed hearing your performance of a different arrangement -- well done.

cygnusdei
I agree, a very charming sonatina, and a delight to listen to. Well played, I hope to hear more from you in future recitals.

KrisR
I'm glad you didn't back out, this was great. One thing I have always enjoyed with Einaudi's pieces is that they sort of don't hold back, they give the performer room to really pour expression and emotion into the performance, which I feel you did very well.

PikaPianist
I have heard some pieces from Tchaikovsky's Children's Album before, but not "Morning Prayer". It is such a beautiful piece, and you played very well. Thanks for sharing it, I will need to see if I can go through and listen to all of these pieces (and maybe try playing them once I have more experience myself).

Talao
Very well done on getting the mood of the funereal dirge on this piece. I do think the chords are voiced well, and you have great balance between melody and harmony.

rwsavory
A very nice peaceful and gentle feel to this. You sound very comfortable with it, I wouldn't have known it was a bit challenging if you hadn't mentioned. I've definitely made the mistake of thinking a piece was easier than I ended up finding it to be from just my initial reading over the sheet music. It's probably worthwhile to take on something that is a bit of a stretch now and then, though.

wr
More Satie in the recital, which is fantastic. Melancholy takes a turn towards being outright mournful in this piece, along with an eerie otherworldliness. There's something slightly off-kilter and genius about Satie's music that I just have never heard in other composers. I love this music, and I feel you've done it justice (if not the written directions, which may require metaphysical efforts to follow), thank you for sharing your performance.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Well done to everyone, especially for those who is their first time; a lot to be proud of. So many pieces I have never heard of, and to play these pieces well were well demonstrated by everyone. I loved the range that didn’t just focus on classical. Sometimes, you can underestimate playing a beginners piece and notably, the musicality came through beautifully, which for many beginners it is a skill that is developed later unless you are naturally musical. I loved the expression. What a lovely way to spend my evening and getting inspired again.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
I
Ido Offline
I
What a great selection! I like everything I heard so far.
Thank you for commenting and listening.

Greta - I'm especially familiar with the pieces you've played (Gurlitt, Tansman) and I gotta say you are a great pianist. You do them great justice.

Started playing piano in early 2017. My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
K
K
Listening now while I enjoy a cuppa. Thank you everyone for sharing!

Started lessons January 2020.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A lot of great playing whether some of the pieces should be rated as lower intermediate or beginner.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Coati
Animisha
I was so surprised and pleased to start off the recital by hearing a piece I've actually played. I haven't strayed far from method books yet, so that's unusual for me. I remember "Floating Down the River" as one of the more enjoyable pieces from level 2 of Alfred's Premier -- it was fun at that stage of learning to use the pedal and play some sweet sounding harmonies in a piece like this. I think I remember playing it at a rather slower tempo than yours, and I enjoyed hearing your version. The arpeggios sound nice at this pace. I also enjoyed hearing the "Together" duet from the series, which I've also played, but only the student part, as I've been going through these method books on my own -- it's interesting to hear the full duet arrangement. Thank you for also sharing so many other beginner pieces. It was interesting to hear a number of pieces from the Russian School of Piano Playing, which I have heard a lot about, but am not familiar with.

Hi Coati, thank you so much for your comments! How nice that you have also played from the Alfred's Premier - I discovered them as a great source of short studies. I totally get your comments to "Twilight Waltz" - the Russian Piano School also moves slowly, step by step, and like you, I try to not compare my own progress to others. There is no hurry anyway, I think, what does it matter if it takes me longer? Twilight Waltz was sweet, and you played it so gently.
I also played Köhler! It comes from a book called "Die allerleichtesten Übungsstücke" but I did not think it was very allerleichtest. wink Well done!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
A
A
So this the first theme recital I have taken part on, and I am very excited on listening to everyone's submissions. There's a lot to listen to. I figured the best way to give comments was going by each interpreter at a time. In that way, it also feels more as a recital, since I listened to everyone's pieces at once. So here my first set of comments:

Animisha - Thank you for submitting several pieces to the recital. I wished I could have recorded nearly as much as you did. I think you did a great job showing a great variety of pieces for beginners. I particularly liked that you submitted some duos with your teacher. I had the chance to play also some a couple of times with my teacher and I think it is a very useful exercise for those of us eventually interested in playing with other musicians at some point in the future. I unfortunately have no recordings of those occasions. I have been using the Russian School of piano paying as well over the past 15 months, but the german version of the book. I am surprised by how different the pieces are. The only one I recognized was the Goedicke piece, which I remember liking a lot when I learned it. I also like Rainbow colors!, It is fun when one get to do some hand crossing at the early stages of piano learning. I enjoyed very much your submissions! Thank you for sharing

Greta99 - First of all Greta, I think you get the award for the most mixed set of submissions! hah You basically presented something for all tastes, form baroque music, going over romantic music, some rag and jazz, and even some Latin rhythms. I also have to congratulate you for your very tasteful playing. All your recordings are very polished as usual. I enjoyed very much the pieces from Tansman. The progression in difficulty is pretty notorious but at the same time, they all seem very fulfilling pieces to learn in early stages of piano learning. As you know, I love Scarlatti and showing some of the easiest sonatas on his catalogue was a great idea! I enjoyed all of them, specially k431. Lovely playing. All pieces from Musica Latina seem very fun to learn. They all have a very dancy feeling. I loved La reina del calipso. Calipso is a rhythm from my home country and I was very happy to see it featured in the book. I did not get the mood of selva tropical though. I was expecting something completely different based on the title. I am not very much into rag, although I certainly enjoyed the jazz pieces. I am sure they are all great for exercising rhythm. The group of Gurlitt pieces might be my favorite submission of yours for this recital. They are all indeed very beautiful compositions. I think they might be of great use for starting to work on romantic period compositions. Based on all the several recordings I have listened from you Greta, I think the romantic pieces really suit your playing style. You have great control of dynamics and tempo to really bring out the best of all these compositions. Amazing stuff.

AndresVel
Thanks for sharing these, I enjoyed hearing more pieces from the Russian Piano School, which I've seen discussed on these and other forums quite a bit, but am not too familiar with. Your pieces sound great for being a bit over a year in, clearly you are being careful with using phrasing and articulation to bring out the musicality of each piece, and it shows. It sounds like there must have been some pretty significant jumps in "The Shepherd Boy", but it must be fun to be able to cover so much of the keyboard as a beginner as well.
Thank you very much Coati for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed my submissions and that the hard work is coming through my recordings. I had to relearn the first two pieces in a short amount of time and I would have loved to polish them more prior to the recital. Those jumps were very challenging but I also think it is fun and very useful to face those challenges at early stages. Thank you for listening smile

Last edited by AndresVel; 10/18/21 04:36 PM.

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I just finished listening - what a pleasure to listen to so many delightful performances! And many thanks to Sam for putting it all together!

W
W
Yes, I enjoyed this recital.

bSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
-- Kabalevsky's clowns -deserve- a false start; I think it made the piece even better.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by winterflower
Yes, I enjoyed this recital.

bSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
-- Kabalevsky's clowns -deserve- a false start; I think it made the piece even better.

Haha, thanks! I was trying mimic what *really* happens during a recital laugh

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
T
T
I'm trying to go by pianist and listen to all of the pieces by each person. So far, in no particular order:

Animisha: Lovely playing and love the sound of your piano. I especially loved Floating Down the River and I want to learn it now.

bSharpCyclist Dan: I enjoyed the variety of pieces you picked. Well done. I just started the Clementi Sonatina Op. 36, No. 1 last week. It's fun!

AndresVel: Always a pleasure to listen to your playing. Clean and melodic.

PikaPianist: Love your dynamics. And it was fun to see how different our interpretations of the Doll's Funeral were!

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P-125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
T
T
Talao
Very well done on getting the mood of the funereal dirge on this piece. I do think the chords are voiced well, and you have great balance between melody and harmony.

Thank you Coati for taking the time to listen to my piece and give feedback. I'm especially happy to hear you liked the voicing since this is one of the main things my teacher has been emphasizing with me (as well as hand balance): "Listen to yourself very carefully!" :-)

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P-125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
I
Ido Offline
I
bSharp(C)yclist
your playing never sounds mechanical - it's always from the heart. You express the musical idea properly, no matter how difficult the piece is for you.

AndresVel
You keep making this amazing progress. The Samuel Maykapar recordings shows just how much you have progressed in terms of dynamics and the overall story telling of the piece. Keep this up!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AndresVel
Animisha - Thank you for submitting several pieces to the recital. I wished I could have recorded nearly as much as you did.

Hi Andres! It is one of the advantages of having a video teacher with feedback - in order to get feedback I make a recording. So I have more than hundred recordings of my pieces.

I think you did a great job showing a great variety of pieces for beginners.

How nice that you noticed, because I really tried to do this.

I have been using the Russian School of piano paying as well over the past 15 months, but the german version of the book. I am surprised by how different the pieces are. The only one I recognized was the Goedicke piece, which I remember liking a lot when I learned it.

I did chose a couple of those typical Russian /Ukrainian folk songs, because I never hear anybody else playing these. My guess is that for the german version of the book it was exactly those pieces that the editors replaced with pieces that are more familiar to German ears, which I think is a pity, because they are so lovely and special. I did recognise some of your submissions, Shostakovich's March and Kabalevsky's At Kindergarten and The Shepherd Boy are also in the Russian book. The other two were new to me. Thank you for those two, lovely played, and I will probably play them also one day!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Talão
Animisha: Lovely playing and love the sound of your piano. I especially loved Floating Down the River and I want to learn it now.

Hi Talão, thank you! You will find Floating Down the River quite easy to learn. I absolutely loved your Doll's Funeral, and I hope I'll be able to play it maybe a year from now.
(And I also love the sound of my piano very much.)

I
Ido Offline
I
Lilypad
I've just listened to all of your pieces. What a great selection of interesting pieces, all unfamiliar to me. Well done, I enjoyed listening to your playing! It is very entertaining.

G
G
I finished listening to all submissions. What a wonderful recital! Many thanks to Sam for organizing it and Animisha for proposing this theme. It’s a terrific idea to gather all our favourite beginner pieces in one place! Congratulations to all participants, all the pieces were played beautifully. I was glad to see some new (to me) names. I hope it won't be a one-time thing, and you are all practicing and polishing your pieces for the next recital. I'm looking forward to listening to your contributions.

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Well played Animisha, Greta99, KevinM, winterflower, Peter071, drewpianoman, and Ido!
bSharp(C)yclist, thank you for listening and commenting.

Greta99
Thank you for sharing a variety of eclectic beginner's pieces. I particularly enjoyed your performance of pieces from Gurlitt's "Little Flowers" -- played so fluidly and expressively. I have played some other very simple pieces by Gurlitt and have always enjoyed them. I love how his compositions for beginners feel like small tableaus of "real music": very encouraging to be able to play these as a beginner.
Coati, thank you for your comment. I agree with you about Gurlitt, the pieces that have made it into various anthologies are great. The author of the preface to my copy of "Little Flowers" writes: “He obviously composed at speed with considerable facility, and it is not surprising that some of his output lacks individuality”. It wasn't until I sight read through a few of collections for beginners that I understood that he is quite right.

Originally Posted by Ido
Greta - I'm especially familiar with the pieces you've played (Gurlitt, Tansman) and I gotta say you are a great pianist. You do them great justice.
Thank you, Ido, your comment made my day!

Greta99 You basically presented something for all tastes, form baroque music, going over romantic music, some rag and jazz, and even some Latin rhythms.
Andres, I thank you for your kind words. I submitted pieces in different styles in the hope that any beginner who listens to this recital will find something, whatever their musical tastes may be.

I am not very much into rag, although I certainly enjoyed the jazz pieces. I am sure they are all great for exercising rhythm.
Actually, they are good for many things. Rhythm, jumps, pedaling - there is a lot that one can get from them. It may sound strange, but I've found that I can have a lot of fun playing pieces that I wouldn't normally listen to.

Based on all the several recordings I have listened from you Greta, I think the romantic pieces really suit your playing style.
You are probably right, at least it comes more easily to me than other styles. Sometimes I wish, it would be Classical period music instead …

T
T
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by Talão

Hi Talão, thank you! You will find Floating Down the River quite easy to learn. I absolutely loved your Doll's Funeral, and I hope I'll be able to play it maybe a year from now.
(And I also love the sound of my piano very much.)

Thank you, Animisha! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm confident that you can tackle it right away with ease. Give it a shot.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P-125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
David Lai -- Mozart K. 482
by HZPiano - 12/04/21 03:08 AM
Allegretto from Granados Escenas Romanticas Fingering
by luthierone - 12/03/21 11:57 PM
Ohio Valley Gem
by Jayekanan - 12/03/21 11:10 PM
For those who play David Nevue
by ShiroKuro - 12/03/21 10:39 PM
Tone of a Fazioli Piano and How to Voice it?
by PianoLover123 - 12/03/21 06:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,377
Posts3,150,505
Members103,510
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission