2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
rwc17 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi all, was wondering if anyone has tried these two pianos and can share their thoughts on whether the ES920 is worth the extra price over the 520?

Not concerned about portability/gigging, mainly just around the piano playing experience. For example, are playing dynamics significantly easier/better on the 920 vs 520?

Have read the 920/520 owners thread but it focuses a lot on 920, also watched the piano forever review of the three Kawais.

(Will also try both in store but wanted to see how others value them)

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@rwc17, Just as you said, trying them out yourself is absolutely essential and is the most valuable criterium to go on.

I'd strongly suggest not to take 'the piano forever' too seriously; he does say some sensible things every now and then, but those need to be filtered out carefully between a lot of wild assumptions and inaccuracies. Or at least that is my impression.

If you haven't found this already, here's a simple Kawai comparison that I think is useful:

https://www.kawai-global.com/product_comparison/detail.php?n=es920,es520&ct=36

Apart from this, I am quite interested as well in what others will answer to your questions, in particular for both the ES520 and 920 used as a MIDI controller.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I had an ES8, and lucked into a used ES520 last January, when they were hard to get new. After a month, I upgraded to a new 920. Perhaps because I was used to the ES8 key bed, I did not like the 520’s playing experience. It seemed mushy and less expressive. And I found the user interface awkward compared to the ES8, while the 920 is pretty much the same. I’m liking the 920’s equalizer as well.

I could make good music on the ES520, and I greatly prefer it over anything currently available from Yamaha or Roland. But I like the Es920 better.

I use both for MIDI, but only for recording piano tracks and data input when creating arrangements for my chamber ensemble, so I can’t vouch for any more than “they work as well as all digital pianos do for my purposes.”

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I owned a ES110, which like all my portable DPs, was for gigging. I liked the action very much and the weight, but wasn't enamored with the entry level features of 110 (having to use keyboard to change sounds, very limited effects and reverbs, etc.) The ES520 has same action (now with triple sensors,) and everything I missed on 110. Also, I play mostly jazz and limited classical.

If I played mostly classical, and was using DP for mostly home, I probably would of bought ES920.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission