2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (FrankCox, Ben_NZ, EB5AGV, astrotoy, Calavera, AndyP, coffeestained, AB99, 9 invisible), 953 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
[Linked Image]

Although it's a bit cumbersome to set up. I have to figure out a way to easily switch between the music stand and the monitor.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,782
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,782
That is big. Is it curved? It looks curved in the picture.

The screen on my ipad has cracked - in 3 places. they will replace the screen for 6 or 7 hundred dollars, but it takes 10 days or 2 weeks. I guess they just replace the whole thing. It still works, so I didn't get it fixed, since I use it every day, twice a day. I could get a new one in just a day - but it is much more expensive.

Sam

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
Originally Posted by Sam S
That is big. Is it curved? It looks curved in the picture.
Yes. Curved 34 inches.

Originally Posted by Sam S
The screen on my ipad has cracked - in 3 places. they will replace the screen for 6 or 7 hundred dollars, but it takes 10 days or 2 weeks. I guess they just replace the whole thing. It still works, so I didn't get it fixed, since I use it every day, twice a day. I could get a new one in just a day - but it is much more expensive.
Well, you can get a decent monitor for that price. You just need to have a laptop to connect to. wink

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 554
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 554
Can I take this with me on the road by packing it into a regular backpack? No. Can I go on stage with this setup? No. Therefore, for me personally, this is not just no better than an iPad, but not an option at all. My sheet music should always be with me, and I should not be tied to one place. And the number of displayed pages at the same time does not matter to me, since the Bluetooth pedal works great for me.

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
Originally Posted by 9190
Can I take this with me on the road by packing it into a regular backpack? No. Can I go on stage with this setup? No. Therefore, for me personally, this is not just no better than an iPad, but not an option at all. My sheet music should always be with me, and I should not be tied to one place. And the number of displayed pages at the same time does not matter to me, since the Bluetooth pedal works great for me.
I was only half serious. I have an iPad too but wanted to see how the music would look like on that big monitor.

And the piano is not portable either... wink

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 776
C
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 776
Believe it or not, I do have a similar setup and it works pretty well. My only concern is the monitor (27") exerts 16 lbs of pressure on the front lid. There seems to be no problem, but I only have it on the piano when practicing.


A rising tide lifts all the boats
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 512
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 512
I suppose from there you could put a nice 65 inch big screen TV on the wall behind the piano, might save some space on top of the Yamaha.


Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 554
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 554
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
And the piano is not portable either... wink
But pianists do not take a grand piano with them to concerts or to work (from home to a conservatory, academy, music school, etc.). Except for a few in the form of touring pianists. Personally, I never needed to take an instrument with me. At home I have one instrument, at work or somewhere else I play on another. This is much better than, for example, a contrabass, that you really need to carry with you. ) In this regard, pianists (I am not speaking for keyboard players now) are in the most advantageous position. They don't need to carry anything with them. No flute, no guitar, no contrabass.

Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 252
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 252
I suppose that big ass screen vibrates terribly while you play enthusiastically! smile
The picture shows walls are close enough. You could mount a swing arm there. Or hang the monitor from above.
Either setup allows you to push the monitor to the side, and switch to the music stand.


Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,474
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,474
Originally Posted by 9190
[...] In this regard, pianists (I am not speaking for keyboard players now) are in the most advantageous position. They don't need to carry anything with them. No flute, no guitar, no contrabass.

With the caveat that pianists are at the mercy of what they have to play on when they get there. That is not always an advantage!

Regards,


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 667
R
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 667
I actually have a similar setup! I have a monitor right behind my piano keyboard. It's not bad.

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Believe it or not, I do have a similar setup and it works pretty well. My only concern is the monitor (27") exerts 16 lbs of pressure on the front lid. There seems to be no problem, but I only have it on the piano when practicing.
The piano lid is far heavier than that monitor so I'm not concerned about that. My main worry was about not scratching the surface when moving the monitor.

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 2,024
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 2,024
Qazsedcft, what screen is it? I would absolutely love that!


Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
*
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
Originally Posted by josh_sounds
I suppose that big ass screen vibrates terribly while you play enthusiastically! smile
The picture shows walls are close enough. You could mount a swing arm there. Or hang the monitor from above.
Either setup allows you to push the monitor to the side, and switch to the music stand.
Actually, it didn't even move the slightest even when playing those "fff con forza" chords you see on the screen. (I leave it to you to figure out what music it is wink )

I like idea of hanging it on a swing arm. I might try that.

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,523
Originally Posted by Animisha
Qazsedcft, what screen is it? I would absolutely love that!
It's a Gigabyte G34WQC. I bought it for 2000 PLN (about 500 USD).

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 182
D
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
D
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 182
When my grand arrives I’ll be tempted to try a new iMAC. Just 12mm deep, only a few kg in weight and just one low voltage cable running from it.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,782
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,782
The best choice might be to build one into a grand sliding music desk. It would be supported on the sides and you could still raise the lid. You could use paper sheet music as usual by placing it in front of the screen. That would be totally cool. Someone has probably already done that. The only drawback would be that wooden music desks last forever - if you build in an electronic component it will eventually fail.


Sam

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 776
C
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 776
Originally Posted by Sam S
The best choice might be to build one into a grand sliding music desk. It would be supported on the sides and you could still raise the lid. You could use paper sheet music as usual by placing it in front of the screen. That would be totally cool. Someone has probably already done that.
Yes. but not on acoustic piano unfortunately (or should I say fortunately? 😄)

[Linked Image]


A rising tide lifts all the boats
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,123
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,123
A standard size tablet is just enough to display 1 page as long as you have a page turner.

I got it to work with a PC laptop hooked up to a 19" TV screen using a HTMI cable. The display is big enough for 2 pages and the resolution is quite good. Have to do the page turns on computer. A small flat panel TV wouldn't be too heavy to put on a grand piano.

[Linked Image]

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,030
7000 Post Club Member
Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,030
Originally Posted by Sam S
The best choice might be to build one into a grand sliding music desk. It would be supported on the sides and you could still raise the lid.

This is what I was thinking. I wouldn't want to use a screen that prevented me from being able to play with the lid open.

I used to mainly use my iPad once I had a piece mostly learned, but since I got the biggest one (the iPad pro, 12.9 IIRC), I start with the music on the iPad from the beginning.

Like others here, because I use a Bluetooth page turner pedal, I don't really mind not being able to see more than one page at once. I do tend to write in the pages in the bottom right corner (e.g., page 1/6, 2/6 etc.) since that cue helps me to know where I am in the piece.


Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Henry F Miller Baby Grand. Worth taking a chance?
by Skallen21 - 12/02/21 12:00 AM
*NEW* The Strolling LH Bassline
by Dfrankjazz - 12/01/21 10:54 PM
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,344
Posts3,150,120
Members103,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5