2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:12
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://youtu.be/NWjzSHoV4K4
Title of piece:Bluesy Mood
Composer:Robert Vandall
Duration:01:57
Source of music:Celebrated Jazzy Solos bk 2
Instrument used:Yamaha C3
Comment Policy:General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement
Additional info:Grades 1-2. Fun!

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/FY7miHrh4oY
Title of piece:Buckeye Rag
Duration:01:21
Comment Policy:General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement
Additional info:Grades 1-2. A buckeye is a nut!

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/sWuSY9HrrRY
Title of piece:BVs Boogie
Duration:01:07
Additional info:Grades 1-2. Boogie down...

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:bSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:5.5 Years
Video link:https://youtu.be/i4-HC99Wvv8
Title of piece:Clowns
Composer:Kabalevsky
Duration:00:37
Source of music:RCM 3 Repertoire Book
Instrument used:Yamaha C3X
Recording method:Cell Phone
Comment Policy:Critical Comments: Anything goes!
Additional info:Piece #4 for ABF Beginner Pieces Recital - All I have to say is that clowns are scary, and sorry for the restart, but you'd probably hear that at a real recital anyway laugh

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/8t-J-7-3zl8
Title of piece:Prelude I
Composer:Barbara Arens
Duration:00:44
Source of music:21 Amazingly Easy Pieces
Additional info:Interesting - like a Bach prelude but simpler.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/_ibhcbdp61U
Title of piece:Prelude III
Duration:01:07
Additional info:These are really easy, but sound more difficult than they are.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/PGoSol-te9U
Title of piece:Prelude IV
Duration:00:52
Additional info:Energico!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/25On4dFbs9Y
Title of piece:Prelude V
Duration:01:54
Additional info:Much easier than it sounds!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Animisha
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7164Bd3i60U
Title of piece:Willow
Composer:Unknown
Duration:00:17
Source of music:Nikolaev: Russian school of piano playing, book 1 part 2
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150 plus Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Recording method:audio: file generated by Pianoteq
video: iPhone
Additional info:This is one of the first polyphonic pieces that I have learned. I like polyphonic pieces a lot, even though it is quite a job to learn them. This piece touches my heart - its melancholy, its Russian sound.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/z-7uYgI5V7U
Title of piece:A Pleasant Morning - Op. 63, No. 1
Composer:Louis Streabbog
Duration:00:48
Source of music:Alfred's Masterwork Classics Series Level 4
Additional info:A fun little warm up piece to play from time to time.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/3cC5m1P3CXQ
Title of piece:Rainbow colors
Composer:Julie Knerr
Duration:00:45
Source of music:Katherine Fisher & Julie Knerr: Pattern pieces 2
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150 + Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Additional info:There are two books called "Pattern pieces". The pieces in these books are really interesting, exploring different expressions, but not always nice. But this one I liked a lot! When I listen to my recording that I made a year ago, I wish I would have held down the ending a little longer.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Saan
Experience:12 years of lessons as a child. I took a break of 23 years and have been playing again for about two years.
Video link:https://youtu.be/W0bW9RGLw6g
Title of piece:Waltz of the One Eyed Witch
Composer:Walter and Carol Noona
Duration:02:16
Source of music:Sheet music found on sheet music plus
Instrument used:Yamaha U3H
Recording method:Quicktime and a USB mic
Additional info:I played this piece as a child and I remember it being the first piece where I felt like I was *really* playing the piano. Thanks to its funny name I was able to remember it and thought it would be a good fit for this recital.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:karen627
Experience:About six months a dozen years ago; started again in April 2021
Title of piece:Eccosaise
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:01:02
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP 745
Recording method:Clavinova built-in recorder
Additional info:Constructive criticism is welcome. This piece is still a bit beyond my level, but it was fun to challenge myself -- I used this recital to experience choosing a piece, learning it, and perfecting it by a deadline. Of course, I didn't perfect it -- I sped up a bit despite my best efforts to maintain a steady rhythm, because something in my brain decided I should hurry up and finish before the whole performance fell apart. And after all of that, for some reason the recording cut off the last note! I submitted it anyway, because I was determined to follow through on submitting this. And it's an accurate snapshot of where I am now -- except for that last note, which I promise I played correctly. smile

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AndresVel
Experience:15 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/qegh_o2s9DE
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC23asvSAcKOZc5obWptp0tw
Title of piece:Biriulki, Op. 28: No. 1, 3, 10, and 12
Composer:Samuel Maykapar
Duration:03:16
Instrument used:Sabel S123
Recording method:Rode M5-MP microphones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Ableton Live 10 for editing
Additional info:I was very excited about this themed recital, since I have had the chance of discovering many beautiful and challenging short pieces in these 15 months of piano lessons. They are all curated in the book Die Russische Klavierschule (The Russian piano school, german edition), which I follow with my teacher. I thought in choosing a topic from where I could extract several pieces from the book to perform. I noticed two composers are showcased quite often: Alexander Goedicke, and Samuel Maykapar. I decided then to choose the latter one for this recital (Goedicke also has outstanding music for beginners).

Samuel Maykapar was a Russian composer (1867-1938). Even though he is considered a romantic composer, some of his works have also that Russian taste that characterized the beginning of the 20th century. I am presenting a selection of four pieces out of his Op. 28 Biriulki, which from Russian will translate to something like Spillikins or Pick-up sticks (a traditional game), but that seems to simply be referred to as Bagatelles in english piano literature (according to RCM syllabus). I have listened to the whole set and I liked it a lot, and wanted also to show alternatives to the traditional children albums from Schumann and Tchaikovsky. The four pieces I have chosen are:

No. 1: At Kindergarten: This is the first piece o the set I learned. It title fits it very well, as it is easy to imagine a bunch of children playing and jumping around. It is a very cheerful piece. It helps to exercise the staccato technique, and in a second step, the voicing of the melody, as it is almost always played with intervals on the RH or LH.

No. 3: The Shepherd Boy: I loved the main theme of this one. It is very playful. I remember loving this piece because it was the first one where I could use the highest octave of the keyboard. It is particularly challenging to get it at the indicated tempo, to sync both hands in the main theme (specially the LH as you can hear :/) and to do some large jumps when the theme returns. A very challenging, beautiful piece.

No. 10: Fairy Tale: This one is a complete change of mood. It is a very sad melancholic piece. It was great to work on phrasing, legato technique, and to explore on the musicality side.

No. 12: The Butterfly: This has been the most challenging of the four pieces I present. There is a lot going on in terms of articulation, going from staccato to legato, also staccato-legato in the LH, tenuto, etc.. It is also more mixed in terms of dynamics, with a fermata at 3/4 of the piece, and some ritardando towards the end. It kind of mixes the techniques worked on the other pieces and exercises your musicality.

For the video I decided to pair each piece with a painting from german painter Paul Klee, one of my favorite artists. I always try to find a connection between the paintings in my videos of short pieces and the music. I hope you can notice it as well. I hope you guys enjoy the selections and perhaps consider to give other pieces of the set a chance. They are all accessible in IMSLP.
Thank you for listening smile

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AndresVel
Experience:15 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/TAXo_pE-SlQ
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC23asvSAcKOZc5obWptp0tw
Title of piece:Children's Album, Op. 69: No. 1 - March
Composer:Dmitri Shostakovich
Duration:00:44
Instrument used:Sable S123
Recording method:Rode M5-MP microphones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Ableton Live 10 for editing
Additional info:Since I wanted to feel like in an actual recital, I wanted to have an encore piece smile So I chose this little short piece by Shostakovich. I was so happily surprised when his name appeared in the book. I did not know he had composed a set of beginners pieces (his Op. 69), so here I am also taking the chance to show an alternative to Schumann and Tchaikovsky childrens albums. This is the first one of the set, which I consider full of humor and cheerfulness. Perfect for practicing different articulations and dynamics, and also to explore new harmonies. I hope you enjoy it.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:thepianoplayer416
Experience:10
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz89ECjLX-E
Title of piece:Simple Gifts, Ecossaise in G
Composer:Joseph Bracket, Beethoven
Duration:02:10
Source of music:www.makingmusicfun.net
Instrument used:Yamaha P125
Recording method:Canon PowerShot SX730 HS
Additional info:I've played the orchestral piece "Variations on a Shaker Melody" from "Appalachian Spring" by Aaron Copland with my music group. Found a version for easy piano online.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Coati
Experience:3 years
Title of piece:Op. 176 No. 17 "Twilight Waltz"
Composer:Jean-Baptiste Duvernoy
Duration:00:39
Source of music:Sheet Music (Alfred's Premier Piano Course)
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-645
Recording method:Digital piano to USB, converted WAV to MP3
Additional info:I have been learning piano (very slowly) for 3 years, starting from being an absolute beginner. After some false starts with other methods, I have settled on using the Alfred's Premier Piano Course (often used for children, not adults), as I find that the slow introduction of concepts and techniques one by one, and the greater number of pieces for each technique, has been very helpful. I feel sometimes that I am making slow progress, particularly compared to some others I've seen who have shared far more advanced pieces even before getting 3 years into this. I do try to not compare my own progress to others, though, and I do feel that my progress has been steady, if slow, and that I have been enjoying every bit of it along the way.

I enjoy lurking on the forums, and listening to the recitals. I haven't submitted to recitals before, as I felt I did not have pieces worth sharing, however, given the theme of this recital, I thought it would be fun to share a couple of the beginner pieces I have recently worked on.

This is one of 2 pieces I am submitting, both from around the middle of Level 3 of the method book series, from a cluster of pieces all in F Major, which was recently introduced. In this piece, I was focusing (and have room for improvement) on the dynamics: the difference between mp and p, while preserving phrasing and emphasis of the beat for the waltz. I was also practicing getting a solid sound from double notes and chords, for example during beats 2 and 3 of the waltz measures on the left hand, trying to time them to sound together as much as possible.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Coati
Experience:3 years
Title of piece:Op. 190 No. 27 "Song without Words"
Composer:Louis Kohler
Duration:01:13
Source of music:Sheet Music (Alfred's Premier Piano Course)
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-645
Recording method:Digital piano to USB, converted WAV to MP3
Additional info:This is the second of my two pieces in 3/4 and in F Major. One of the strengths of this method book series is that it does offer up a number of similar pieces to help dig into and get practice on new concepts and techniques as they are introduced. Something I always struggle with is a tendency to rush (ending with a much faster tempo than I began), and I had that problem quite a lot when practicing this piece. I worked on it, trying to keep steady tempo, and I did improve on that, but I think there is still some rushing in this piece, perhaps from not giving the left hand quarter notes their full count on the measures they play alone, without the right hand melody.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/Z-E1tFtCk-Q
Title of piece:Children's song
Composer:Jean-Baptiste Weckerlin
Duration:00:21
Source of music:Nikolaev: The Russian School of Piano Playing, book 2.
Instrument used:Kawai VPC1 + Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Additional info:Just a cute little piece that was a pleasure to learn. Very often, when the title says "Children's piece", it means that it is fast and gleeful, and I was very happy that this one is so gentle.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/O6lKFUulEl4
Title of piece:Waltz
Composer:Diabelli
Duration:00:38
Source of music:Alfred's Masterwork Classic Series, Level 3
Additional info:I first learned this almost 5 years ago now and it was the first piece I had to play in front of group as part of a masterclass after starting piano lessons back in 2016. It's a lot easier play it today ;0

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission