2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (36251, anamnesis, axomas, AJB, Animisha, anotherscott, Andrew E., 21 invisible), 890 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the Beginner Pieces Themed Recital. Links to the recordings are in the posts following this one. Please refrain from commentary in this thread. Take any and all comments to the General Discussion Thread for this recital.

Thank you!

In addition to the recordings below, and the zip files linked below, we have an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Streaming Player

For the convenience of forum members, we also have a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

zip1.zip
zip2.zip
zip3.zip
zip4.zip
zip5.zip
zip6.zip
zip7.zip
zip8.zip
zip9.zip
zip10.zip
zip11.zip

And here is the index to past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Have fun listening, and remember, post your comments in the Discussion Thread.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Animisha
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://youtu.be/6NNhmbvOi8c
Title of piece:Floating down the river
Composer:Martha Mier & Dennis Alexander
Duration:01:05
Source of music:Alfred's Premier Piano Course Lesson Book 2
Instrument used:Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Recording method:Audio: digital to Macbook
Video: iPhone
Comment Policy:General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement
Additional info:This is one of my "short studies" that I do instead of sight reading. I make a recording of the ones that I like the best.

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Greta99
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-513119297
Title of piece:Obsession, Waltzing, Both Ways, Arabia, Frolic, Reflections, Lullaby, Little Stroll, Melody from "Happy Time" Book 1
Composer:Tansman, Alexandre
Duration:05:33
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CA-58
Recording method:Digital piano
Comment Policy:Critical Comments: Anything goes!
Additional info:Alexandre Tansman (1897 - 1986) was born in Poland, but spent most of his life in Paris. As composer he concentrated chiefly on the symphonic and chamber music, but also wrote a lot of pieces for beginners. The preface in my copy of "Happy time" calls him "one of the most important composers in the world". I think, it may be a slight exaggeration, but I found his pieces interesting.
Book 1 of "Happy time" is labelled as "primary", but the pieces vary greatly in difficulty, from preparatory (Waltzing, Obsession) to Grade 4 (Melody).

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Sonatas K 34, K 40 and K 431
Composer:Scarlatti, Domenico
Duration:02:24
Additional info:Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757) is mostly known for his 555 keyboard sonatas. Some of them slow and lyrical, some fast and dazzling. There are several of them that are approachable by a beginner. The most famous of them, and rightly so, is k 32. For this recital I selected another 3 short sonatas: k 34, k 40 and k 431. All of them are only one page long. I omitted the repeats to keep the recording short.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Dedicatoria, from "Cuentos de juventud", Op. 1 no. 1
Composer:Granados, Enrique
Duration:00:46
Additional info:"Dedicatoria" by Spanish composer Enrique Granados (1867 - 1916) is only one page long, technically undemanding and so beautiful! Give it a try.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:bSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:5 and 1/2 years now, actually 6 years in December!
Video link:https://youtu.be/0kKt9JgHXV4
Title of piece:Reflections
Composer:Dennis Alexander
Duration:01:10
Source of music:RCM 4 Repertoire Book
Instrument used:Yamaha C3X
Recording method:Cell Phone
Additional info:I think the timing of this Beginner themed recital was perfect! I stopped lessons back in May, life got busy quickly. I've been going back to easier pieces and practicing/playing in a more relaxed manner and really focusing on eliminating tension from my playing. I think once you eliminate tension from your playing, piano is easy smile Seriously, this time of reflection has given me a different outlook on practice.

I started to take notice of tension in my body throughout the day, with simple things like typing and writing with a pen. I found that I would grip the pen like it was the last pen on the planet. So I tried to write with less tension, as if my hand was dead and I needed to use my arm and body to move it. At first, the writing was sloppy, but over time you refine the movement to make it cleaner.

I also watched a YT video recently where Emma suggests to play with the idea of loose hands, similar to what I described above. The sound will be sloppy to start, but it gets cleaner over time as you practice using your body to produce the sounds, and eliminate any tension after each note played.

That's the best I can describe it and it's been the biggest game changer for me in my practice.

Happy practicing smile

PS - The other pieces submitted don't have much of a description. Below are all the pieces I submitted. These are pieces I've seen played at many children recitals smile

* Reflections (Dennis Alexander)
* When the Planets are Aligned (Nancy Telfer)
* Song of Twilight (Yoshinao Nakada)
* Clowns (Kabalevsky)
* A Pleasant Morning - Op. 63, No. 1 (Louis Streabbog)
* Sonatina C Major - Op 36, No 1, Mvmt 1 (Clementi)
* Sonatina G Major - Op 36, No 2, Mvmt 3 (Clementi)

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:KevinM
Experience:5
Video link:https://vimeo.com/559922539/68d47df324
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin/sets/my-progress
Title of piece:Romance from Eine Kleine Nacht Musik K525 2nd Movement, Piano transcription by Clem Virgo
Composer:Mozart
Duration:01:57
Source of music:Piano Mix 3 book. Great arrangements for Easy Piano published by ABRSM
Instrument used:MP11SE, using the Boesendorfer Imperial virtual piano from VSL
Recording method:Recorded directly from the virtual piano player application on my mac mini.
Comment Policy:General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement
Additional info:My Dad was a big Mozart fan and he died earlier this year. I could not attend the funeral, I am in the UK and it was not possible to enter Australia at the time. I wanted to contribute something to the funeral without doing an eulogy via video link. I was asked to choose the music for the funeral and knowing Dad's taste I kept it to Mozart. The funeral started with the Adagio from Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A Major and finished with Laudate Dominum from The Requiem.

In the middle of the funeral there was to be a video slide show. I put together the slide show and had less than 14 days to decide on an appropriate piece of music that I could learn from scratch in time to be played with the video slide show. The funeral required 3 minutes of music.

Once I learnt the piece I realized it was only 2 minutes long. Luckily I was able to copy the middle 1 minute and padded that on to the end. If you listen to the audio recording, it is just under 2 minutes while the linked video with slide show is 3 minutes.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:KevinM
Experience:5
Video link:https://vimeo.com/613946105
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin/sets/my-progress
Title of piece:In The Hall of the Mountain King from Peer Gynt, Suite No. 1, Op. 42, Piano transcription by Martin White
Composer:Grieg
Duration:01:53
Source of music:Piano Mix 3 book. Great arrangements for Easy Piano published by ABRSM
Instrument used:MP11SE, using the Boesendorfer VC280 virtual piano from VSL
Recording method:Recorded directly from the virtual piano player application on my mac mini.
Additional info:This was fun to learn. I lengthened it a bit by repeating the first 5 rows. I felt the building of the climax was missing a little.e

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/TT46DlBLh5U
Title of piece:To fly like an eagle
Composer:Anne Crosby Gaudet
Duration:00:36
Source of music:Celebration series - The piano Odyssey - Introductory
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150
Recording method:iphone
Additional info:One of the first pieces that I played once I had given up on the ludicrous idea of self-teaching. I do the best I can with the gestures but it is hard to relax my hands.
I still think that this is a lovely beginners' piece. Strong sounds, contrasts, playing across the whole keyboard and pedaling - but still quite possible for a beginner to learn.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:winterflower
Experience:Plenty.
Title of piece:A Morning Sunbeam
Composer:Florence Price
Duration:00:49
Source of music:https://imslp.org/wiki/A_Morning_Sunbeam_(Price%2C_Florence)
Instrument used:Pianoteq 7: Bechstein
(Since these are beginner pieces, I can demo Pianoteq instruments I don't own.
Also, I think I always used preset 'warm'.)
Additional info:After PianogrlNW's entry in the Female Composers recital, I decided to browse Florence Price's IMSLP page and thought that this would fit with the Beginner's themed recital.

Actually I think I should just listen to recordings of Florence Price's music, much of which isn't for the piano.

My favorite section was the middle.

Now one question is whether this piece somehow influenced my compositions below.

Or any other comments welcome.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Pool of the Unicorn
Composer:winterflower
Duration:00:24
Source of music:composition
see [url]
https://docdro.id/yFA3Ydy
[\url]
Instrument used:Pianoteq 7: Petrof Mistral
Additional info:Experiment with a key signature with some sharps, since some of these are thought to be more ergonomic than all ivory key signatures. So this is in E-major.

Perhaps if I wanted to take that all the way, I would sharp the A more often. As it is, I allowed myself a few accidentals. It seemed to work, though.

I actually liked this piece, maybe because of all the harmony chords I was adding.

Again, music URL here (not that it matters, but for the scores I typed up for this recital, I am authorizing any honest and decent use, including commercial or public use):

https://docdro.id/yFA3Ydy

old version:
https://docdro.id/JvDw25f

There is a G# minor inversion that was possibly a typo when I was typing up the score, but which is more interesting than repeating the E major chord all the time, so I kept it.
So there's an earlier version (difference: 1 note).

I like comments.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:it's a sad story
Composer:winterflower
Duration:00:35
Source of music:https://www.docdroid.net/AEbduI2/itsasadstory-pdf
Instrument used:Pianoteq 7: Pianoteq's K2
Additional info:plain a minor this time

Somehow, this is the sort of ditty-like thing that I get suspicious of as I am writing it.

Is the rhythm something I just turn to too much? Did I copy the melody from somewhere, or from some style?

But I like it while it lasts.

It's one of those pieces that sounds like dialogue, perhaps starting with a request or an anecdote.

sheet music at

https://www.docdroid.net/AEbduI2/itsasadstory-pdf

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Experience:Plenty
Title of piece:shoo fly
Composer:who knows
Duration:00:20
Source of music:https://docdro.id/NB8wSXt
Instrument used:Pianoteq 7 Steingraeber
Additional info:"Shoo Fly" seems to be in a lot of piano primers.

Here, I decided to add a few second chords, since the interference makes them buzz (as Bartok noticed;
but wait, Schubert and Chopin were using 2nds and 7ths before Bartok....)

Honestly, I probably picked this piece just to add the buzzes.

The hands could stay basically in one place, except I really think that the buzzes should be played with the wrist or arm really; I jumped between the buzzes when there were more than one.

I think this piece is better with dotted quarter notes as well, but wanted to be simple and so stuck to quarter, half, and dotted halves.

Also, what rhythm -should- I use on "bother"?

Sheet Music:
recorded version:

https://docdro.id/NB8wSXt

In order: 1. the version with dotted rhythms, 2. the version I recorded, 3. a version without dotted rhythms but with a weird (and more questioning) ending:

https://docdro.id/CbLDhqp

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peter071
Experience:Had lessons, started playing again last month.
Title of piece:Ashran's Magic Carpet (From Far Away Places)
Composer:Timothy Brown
Duration:01:42
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP 535
Recording method:Saved on USB stick, used online tool to convert WAV to MP3. By converting WAV to MP3 online it sounds a bit metallic unfortunately.
Additional info:From Far Away Places is a book of easy pieces with nice melodies.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peter071
Experience:Had lessons, started playing again a month ago
Title of piece:Fandago del Sol (From Far Away Places)
Composer:Timothy Brown
Duration:01:58
Source of music:Sheet music.
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP 535
Recording method:Direct on USB stick, used an online tool to convert the WAV file to MP3. By converting WAV to MP3 online it sounds a bit metallic unfortunately.
Additional info:From Far Away Places is a book of simple pieces with nice melodies. The Fandago is a Spanish dance in triple meter.The staccato notes at the beginning are played very short, but this is my best recording.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:drewpianoman
Experience:6 months of lessons, I formerly played Bass and cello about 30 years ago.
Home page link:http://www.drewstherapy.com
Title of piece:Gnossienne 1
Composer:Eric Satie
Duration:04:22
Source of music:Sheet music obtained online.
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-785
Recording method:Direct audio recording on line, converted to Mp3 with JRiver.
Additional info:I love Satie and really enjoyed learning this piece. I still can't play without making some mistake so there is one at the end. However, I liked the rest of enough to submit it.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/1__VYsm4fG8
Title of piece:Polyushko Polye (duet)
Composer:Lev Knipper
Duration:01:05
Source of music:Nikolaev: The Russian School of Piano Playing, book 1 part 2
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150 with Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Recording method:Audio: automatic recording through Pianoteq into laptop
Video: iphone
Additional info:When I first heard this piece, I thought it sounded horrific. Such strange sounds! It is in F minor, which is unusual for my ears. But it grew on me - so much that in the end it was one of my favourite pieces.
As you'll probably hear, this is a duet, with my teacher playing the secondo. But she is not on the video.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:bSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:5.5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/tsd8xhwtOFk
Title of piece:When the Planets are Aligned
Composer:Nancy Telfer
Duration:00:51
Source of music:RCM 4 Repertoire Book
Instrument used:Yamaha C3X
Recording method:Cell Phone
Additional info:Submission #2 for ABF Beginner Recital. This is a fun piece to play.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ido
Experience:4.5 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_0U7Wn9lRk
Title of piece:Op. 205 No. 12
Composer:Cornelius Gurlitt
Duration:01:10
Instrument used:Yamaha P515
Additional info:Classic beginners piece which I don't hear many people play. Very catchy and fun but is quite challenging, especially in comparison to other pieces from this opus.
Lots of wrong notes but I this the message goes through.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ido
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnFZoD6Hc2Q
Title of piece:Op. 205 No. 11
Composer:Cornelius Gurlitt
Duration:00:54
Instrument used:Yamaha p515
Additional info:Quite an old recording but I think it's worth introducing this piece to you, as it is very charming. One thing I would change is to lower the LH level but at that point in time it was beyond my abilities.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano saver system? does everyone use this?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/06/22 09:00 AM
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,826
Posts3,205,802
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission