2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hi folks, if anyone has a pile of old ivories, I am looking for eight ivory fronts. I have a pile of my own but they are all thinner than what is on this old Bechstein. I pulled a cracked one off and it measures .047" thick. Anyone have anything?

I am happy to make a donation for the effort.

Thanks,
Josh

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
you can use the proper thickness key-tops and just saw them to length.

M
M
Jkess....This is a repair for your tech. There are so many variables of length,
thickness ,ivory grain and color that often when I’m doing spot replacement of a few ivory heads in a client's home I have to sort through hundreds to get a good match not to mention the most effective adhesives and or clamping for a permanent repair, so ask your tech if he/she has a substantial assortment of ivory. Often ivory heads have ‘slipped’ between the keys or been placed in the bench for safe storage by a previous owner.
www.snowpianos.com

Piano Technician and restorer www.snowpianos.com now relocated to Burlington Vermont after 33 years as Head Piano Technician at Boston University School of Music.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The problem with ivory fronts is that they expand and contract differently from the wood they are glued to, which is why manufacturers stopped using them so many years before they stopped using ivory for keytops. They cracked or came unglued all the time. Steinway glued them to pieces of wood in the vain hope that would stabilize them; that just caused the wood to curl up and break loose.

I have not been able to get a straight answer from the Attorney General whether it is legal or not to deal with ivory parts in my state, and at this point, I would just rather replace them with a modern material. Ivory is a pain to deal with, and I can replace the tops and fronts more easily than I can fix just a few ivory pieces, so I can use the restrictions as an excuse. I do not need to run the risk.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Elephant ivory, as well as other endangered species, trade is regulated by federal authorities in the US.
Federal law applies only to interstate and international deals and travel if your state has its own laws. Otherwise it applies to intrastate matters as well.

US FWS on ivory

You can still use and trade the fossil ivory. As long as you have proper origin paperwork. But is it worth the price and effort?
Guitar makers now use either synthetic materials, or cow bones for nuts and saddles, and they actually find it as good as ivory if not better. But obviously, while saddle and nut stiffness affect guitar sound, piano key cover affects touch, not sound.

Last edited by VladK; 10/16/21 11:14 AM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
I am lucky to have at home an original harpsichord by Kirkmann, made in London in 1761, with ivory-topped keys. After 260 years, it is fascinating to see that none have split or warped, although many had to be re-glued in the three restorations this well-documented instrument went through in its history. Of course they have lost some thickness, less so in the extreme lows which are less used. Because harpsichord keytops are typically notched, it is easy to visually establish the wear (This can be seen on the photo). Compared to a modern piano, these keys are rather slippery, but still very playable.

[Linked Image]

As the 8 year-old Mozart was in London in 1764 and we know his father visited Kirkmann, I always fantasize his little fingers touched that ivory.

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vikendios
I am lucky to have at home an original harpsichord by Kirkmann, made in London in 1761, with ivory-topped keys. After 260 years, it is fascinating to see that none have split or warped, although many had to be re-glued in the three restorations this well-documented instrument went through in its history. Of course they have lost some thickness, less so in the extreme lows which are less used. Because harpsichord keytops are typically notched, it is easy to visually establish the wear (This can be seen on the photo). Compared to a modern piano, these keys are rather slippery, but still very playable.

[Linked Image]

As the 8 year-old Mozart was in London in 1764 and we know his father visited Kirkmann, I always fantasize his little fingers touched that ivory.
talant touchings

P
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BDB
The problem with ivory fronts is that they expand and contract differently from the wood they are glued to, which is why manufacturers stopped using them so many years before they stopped using ivory for keytops. They cracked or came unglued all the time. Steinway glued them to pieces of wood in the vain hope that would stabilize them; that just caused the wood to curl up and break loose.

I have not been able to get a straight answer from the Attorney General whether it is legal or not to deal with ivory parts in my state, and at this point, I would just rather replace them with a modern material. Ivory is a pain to deal with, and I can replace the tops and fronts more easily than I can fix just a few ivory pieces, so I can use the restrictions as an excuse. I do not need to run the risk.

If I'm not mistaken, you might very well become a felon in your state if you mess around too much with ivory. (That would be cool, wouldn't it?)

😁😊😉

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 10/16/21 01:57 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
J
OP Offline
J
Did some reading on the laws. They are beyond what you might reasonably expect given the sympathy I'm sure we all possess. That is, I would be happy living my days out realizing not another elephant was taken. I'd also think there'd be some leniency given to piano restorers buying old Ivories from another piano restorer. The laws are serious and cast a wider shadow than I'd have thought, so yes, not interested.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission