2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (cygnusdei, Albertan, CLM Piano Learner, blueviewlaguna., anotherscott, anamnesis, andrea83, Bill McKaig,RPT, An Old Square, 14 invisible), 1,349 guests, and 492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Daviduu Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi all,
The last few months bottom C & D on my Yamaha C5 started sticking. If the keys were depressed they stayed down. I'd had enough today with those strings resonating to every other thing I was playing so I took out the keyboard to have a look.

The counterweights between the two keys had a white powdery corrosion which had swelled out the weights and contacted the adjacent key which had a similar corrosion. I got a die grinder and carefully removed the corrosion but was surprised how deep it penetrated into the counterweight. I checked the other keys and found a couple more affected keys that were playing fine but the swelling had started. I took some pictures to show the issue.

[img]http://www.smartdecorprops.com.au/blog/2021/10/[/img]

Can anyone let me know what this is, how it happened and any ling term fix?

PS - Is it possible to upload photos to the forum instead of putting them on a separate URL??

"It is the mark of an instructed mind to rest satisfied with the degree of precision which the nature of the subject admits and not to seek exactness when only an approximation of the truth is possible" (Aristotle 384 BCE - March 7, 322 BCE)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is oxidation of the key leads. I'm not sure which metal is used nowadays; but I think it is still lead or some lead alloy.

I've read that the keyboards from some manufacturers exhibit this problem more often and more strongly, because apparently the wood contains certain acids that promote the corrosion.

When I remove such corrosion, I try to cut it (e.g. with a sharp chisel) rather than grind it, to avoid dust. I always take care not to breathe or spread the dust, and wash my hands afterwards, in case it is indeed lead.

In terms of a long term fix, others may have better suggestions, but my first approach would be to seal the surface, i.e. paint or varnish the weight, in order to keep oxygen out.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
A
A
Oxidizing lead expands, so in worst case:
[Linked Image]

I'm not saying that it will definitely happen in your case, but you should be aware of this. It usually happens in very old neglected pianos so you most likely have time and shaving them to be flush with the key might be ok fix for now.

Last edited by ambrozy; 10/13/21 09:36 AM.
N
N W Offline
N
I'm definitely with the use a chisel post. Grinding to dust can't be good and a chisel works well. When I have done this I've always varnished over the resulting face but I really don't know if it is an effective cure.

Nick, ageing piano technician
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
None of this will solve your problem, but the problem is interesting. Lead is noble and normally shows very little corrosion in the atmosphere, which you can prove for yourself by looking at lead roofing flashing when you drive down the street. I've seen 40 year old lead flashing that had no corrosion, just a discoloring. Lead is sort of like some of the structural steels like cor-ten that form a protective layer that prevents further corrosion. It will react if exposed to chlorine, so it's possible it reacts with the salt from your sweat to form lead chloride, which kind of looks like your pictures. I guess it might suggest those weights should be handled with rubber gloves to avoid getting skin salts and oils on them during assembly or repair.

The weight may be alloyed with something that's cheap, like zinc, or it might be some other high Z metal (hopefully not depleted uranium). Given all the contemporary problems with lead, I would think manufacturers would stampede to find a replacement. Zinc can develop what's called white rust, that might be what you're seeing. It forms if there isn't enough air flow over the surface to form a protective layer on the zinc.

Your corrosion really looks gnarly, if you're near a university it might be interesting to take it to a chemist or materials lab to find out what's really going on. I would whole heartedly agree with the suggestions to not grind it until you find out what it is. As a welder I can tell you there are metals and corrosions that will ruin your day if you inhale the dust or vapor.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
A
A
It is indeed unclear why lead sometimes corrodes because it really shouldn't and I don't buy the "acid in wood" story either, it doesn't even touch wood where it corrodes.

How old is your piano?

Last edited by ambrozy; 10/13/21 02:30 PM.
N
N W Offline
N
Just to say I've seen this corrosion in many pianos. Sometimes in the damper flanges behind the action in grands... particularly Bechsteins from 1900 ish. Most definitely not caused by human contact. I've always assumed a damp atmosphere was to blame...but it is an assumption, I have no scientific knowledge about it.

Last edited by N W; 10/13/21 05:06 PM.

B
Online Content
B
Search NAVSEA, Curator of Navy Ship Models.
This is the only true research that I've seen.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkL
Lead is noble and normally shows very little corrosion in the atmosphere, which you can prove for yourself by looking at lead roofing flashing when you drive down the street. I've seen 40 year old lead flashing that had no corrosion, just a discoloring. Lead is sort of like some of the structural steels like cor-ten that form a protective layer that prevents further corrosion.

Lead is no noble metal. Several acids, amongst them volatile organics, can attack it. This is also the reason I wouldn't discount the theory about the acidic wood completely.

But you're right in that it generally passivates by forming a native layer of oxide, a patina.

Originally Posted by MarkL
The weight may be alloyed with something that's cheap, like zinc, or it might be some other high Z metal (hopefully not depleted uranium). Given all the contemporary problems with lead, I would think manufacturers would stampede to find a replacement. Zinc can develop what's called white rust, that might be what you're seeing. It forms if there isn't enough air flow over the surface to form a protective layer on the zinc.

Thank you, this sounds like a very plausible hypothesis to me.

Originally Posted by ambrozy
It is indeed unclear why lead sometimes corrodes because it really shouldn't and I don't buy the "acid in wood" story either, it doesn't even touch wood where it corrodes.

The proximity to a source of volatile corrosives, e.g. organics, would be enough. On the other hand, if there really are corrosive volatiles around, there should be plenty of verdigris on the bass strings and brass parts...

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
D
Daviduu Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi Ambrozy,
The C5 is a 1986 model so 35 years. I'm wondering if someone may have used detergent to clean the keys sometime in the past and some liquid dripped down on some keys. The majority of keys are fine

"It is the mark of an instructed mind to rest satisfied with the degree of precision which the nature of the subject admits and not to seek exactness when only an approximation of the truth is possible" (Aristotle 384 BCE - March 7, 322 BCE)
N
N W Offline
N
Maybe had mice in there sometime? Urine might not be good...but would leave a stain I should think.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mark R.
Lead is no noble metal. Several acids, amongst them volatile organics, can attack it. This is also the reason I wouldn't discount the theory about the acidic wood completely.
I didn't mean it's a noble metal in the physics/electron d-ring sense, I mean it's noble in the atmospheric corrosion sense.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

D
Daviduu Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for that David-G.
Yes, an interesting thread and obviously not an uncommon problem.

I've worked out how to put the photos into the post :-)

These are the keys that were sticking:
[Linked Image]

These are a couple of other keys around middle C that, while not sticking, still had swelled out a bit:
[Linked Image]

The more I think about it the more I am coming to the conclusion that some sort of liquid seeped down a few keys years ago, possibly detergent cleaning the keys, which led (pun intended) to the problem.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Player pianos used to be tubed with lead tubing, which would get oxidized, and it is not likely that moisture got into those tubes except through the air, so oxidization can happen without anything more than exposure to the air.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Can this be chemical oxidation, similar to the bronze disease?
Some salt/chlorines from a humid (usually RH 60+) air or from whatever you used to clean keys could settle on counterweights with time. Very hard to cure, easier to replace them.

Last edited by VladK; 10/16/21 08:47 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
5'3" Bechstein
by Albertan - 01/26/22 01:16 PM
Factory silent options
by Gombessa - 01/26/22 11:23 AM
History of Yamaha U1 price
by VeritasNL - 01/26/22 10:25 AM
Where to find a concert grand to play
by Keyburn - 01/26/22 08:42 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,362
Posts3,164,093
Members104,170
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission