2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Abdol, b4xter, BravoRomeo, 36251, An Old Square, Animisha, Bruce In Philly, 17 invisible), 665 guests, and 464 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
PHC Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Although as we approach winter here in Wisconsin, I will be concerned about several months of dry air, right now the autumn weather is suddenly damp and the hygrometer I have tucked into my upright is reading 70% humidity more or less. What effects will such periods of increased humidity do to the sound or function of an upright piano? I'm still pretty much of a beginner but I feel like I'm starting to play well enough that every bad sound that comes out of the instrument is not necessarily MY fault.

This morning the piano sounded rather "buzzy" to my ear (it's been sounding good for the summer months when the hygro was typically registering between 40%-50%). It hasn't been opened/exposed to any foreign objects or potential trauma, so I'm wondering if this is some sort of (transient?) effect of humidity.

I've had this piano for about a year now so I imagine it is pretty "settled in"/acclimated to our house. It is indoors well away from exterior walls in the living room that is typically in the 65-75 degree (f) range, and occasionally cooled by an inadequate little window AC across the room.

Yes, I am considering the purchase of some sort of humidity control system for the piano if it is necessary, but I'd like to know what to expect in the absence of one.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Temperature doesn't matter so much but if your piano is consistently at 40-50% humidity and 65-75% it should survive that, but much less so if the fluctuations are more frequent.

However I think you will find that your piano will sound quite different, typically more shrill, after acclimatising to 70% than it was at 50%. That means you will almost certainly want to have it tuned separately for summer and winter conditions, you might also find that at 75% some components go out of adjustment compared to 50% and need attention e.g. bushings become tight and requiring easing but you could regard that as just part of the winter tuning program.

Basically, the more stable you keep your humidity the less your piano will go out of adjustment, the fewer tunings it will need and the longer lifetime it will be expected to have.

Below 40% and my humidifier comes out. 60% and above the dehumidifier comes out. I have very few exceptions to this rule.

P
P
Originally Posted by TBell
Below 40% and my humidifier comes out. 60% and above the dehumidifier comes out. I have very few exceptions to this rule.

This is what I now do too. Especially keeping humidity below 60% really improved the touch (perhaps because of bushings, as gwing said). Without dehumidifier, it goes easily to 70% and even higher in Fall. This is also not good for your own health.

R
R
It's been very humid here in recent weeks and the RH in the piano room has, according to a hydrometer, frequently been around 70% or slightly above. I have another hydrometer tucked right under the soundboard and it's ranged from about 42% to 50% thanks to the Dampp-Chaser. It's a 6'3" grand.

Is there a consensus as to what extent the DC helps the action and pin block? Less than the soundboard, I know.

Yamaha S4
R
R
I also have a wool string cover.

Yamaha S4
R
R
Apologies: hygrometer not hydrometer. Autotype.

Yamaha S4
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You might consider a programmable controller, it has two outlets, one for the humidifier the other for the dehumidifier. It will turn on the one needed depending on the humidity values and ranges you set. I have this one. The other nice thing about controllers is the sensor is attached to a cord, I hang mine under the soundboard.

Last edited by MarkL; 10/18/21 12:32 PM.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,145
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission