2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (alohamusicfan, benj, beedlo, AaronSF, Ajax69, 36251, accordeur, aphexdisklavier, 14 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 487 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3162700 10/08/21 12:22 PM
Y
y260 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
I received word that my long-awaited GB1K grand from Yamaha has arrived and will be delivered tomorrow. Having ordered the piano Feb.25, this means it took 226 days for the piano to be produced and shipped, over 7 months. And judging by my correspondence with Yamaha rep it was shipped 1.5 weeks ago, so the majority of that time was production/allocation. Seeing that the GB1K has somewhat simplified cabinetry design if you are ordering anything higher up the line you may have a longer wait time. Of course if the pandemic shortages ease at some point then perhaps you'll be luckier than me.

I'm thrilled and nervous given everything I've read about buying a crate piano (my geographic area has zero Yamaha dealers within 3k miles). But I have a good tech lined up to service the piano, either immediately if something is wrong or a few months from now after acclimation.

Anyway I know someone out there will find this info useful, because the majority of the wait I had no ETA from Yamaha/dealer.

Last edited by y260; 10/08/21 12:26 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Y260, Where do you live? 3 thousand miles is a long distance. Is it 3k miles in every direction?

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Y
y260 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Yes, I'm in Honolulu HI. middle of the ocean basically

N
N
There's no Yamaha dealer in Hawaii? Learned something new.

C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
Who is going to do the assembly at your home? The piano would be shipped with feet and pedals separate.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
Y
y260 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Oh the delivery company will assemble. It won't literally be a crate at my doorstep. The dealer I ordered from has sent pianos out here utilizing this delivery co.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by y260
Oh the delivery company will assemble. It won't literally be a crate at my doorstep. The dealer I ordered from has sent pianos out here utilizing this delivery co.
The dealers usually do the assembly, so I am sure all will go well.They would never just leave the crate at your house and tell you to get on with it! Are you going to have a basic tuning done at your home? If not the piano will be quite out of tune.Of course the piano will need another tuning in a month and of course some preparation is important.
You have just bought a grand and I have just sold my old Yamaha grand! Congratulations on your wonderful new piano! Please post some pictures.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wow, how exciting, esp. after such a long wait!!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Y
y260 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Originally Posted by tre corda
The dealers usually do the assembly, so I am sure all will go well.They would never just leave the crate at your house and tell you to get on with it! Are you going to have a basic tuning done at your home? If not the piano will be quite out of tune.Of course the piano will need another tuning in a month and of course some preparation is important.
You have just bought a grand and I have just sold my old Yamaha grand! Congratulations on your wonderful new piano! Please post some pictures.
I should clarify I ordered the piano from the dealer but the piano is shipped direct from Yamaha, so technically the dealer hasn't touched it. Straight from Yamaha to my house. I figure it will be out of tune but relatively speaking I hear that Yamahas tend to be more consistent/reliable out of box. But I guess I won't know until tomorrow and worst case I'll bring the tech out earlier if it's unplayable. I can definitely post a pic. Maybe even a recording

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
I should clarify I ordered the piano from the dealer but the piano is shipped direct from Yamaha, so technically the dealer hasn't touched it. Straight from Yamaha to my house. I figure it will be out of tune but relatively speaking I hear that Yamahas tend to be more consistent/reliable out of box. But I guess I won't know until tomorrow and worst case I'll bring the tech out earlier if it's unplayable. I can definitely post a pic. Maybe even a recording

Congratulations on your new Yamaha grand piano!

I hope everything goes well with the delivery and setup, and it is ready to play right out of the box, to a large extent anyway!

We look forward to the pictures, and a recording of your new piano! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
S
Congrats, I know the feeling since it took years to decide, the delivery was rather quick since the piano was in stock. Hope you will be pleased!

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new GB1K. That was my first grand piano and if I had the room I would have kept it rather than trade it in. I remember reading that GB1Ks are one of the most popular Yamaha models, which may explain your very long wait.

I’m sure your technician probably has plenty of Yamaha tuning and setup experience.
Please post some pictures!

Nothing like new piano day!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I strongly suggest hiring professional piano movers to uncrate and set up the piano. If you don't have the right equiptment, there is too much of a chance someone could get hurt.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Y
y260 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
try to ignore my work in progress living room

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
yay!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!! And that's a lovely spot for the piano!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Congratulations, how very exciting for you. You will have an amazing instrument that will give you many years of enjoyment. That’s a lovely spot for it but doesn’t the sound reverberate against that wall when the hood is up?

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 10/09/21 08:30 PM.

Bösendorfer 170
Y
y260 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Congratulations, how very exciting for you. You will have an amazing instrument that will give you many years of enjoyment. That’s a lovely spot for it but doesn’t the sound reverberate against that wall when the hood is up?

I think so, it is definitely louder than I expected. I'll have to move it around (without damaging a tile). May sound odd but aside from volume I'm not sure *how* a grand should sound. The only piano I played regularly was a 100+ year old KRANTZ upright when I was a kid. So maybe its loud and I'm a little deaf in my right ear right now but its better in sound and action than what I had before. Haha

Maybe I'll put a carpet under it or something. I will try and get a sound demo up here soon

Y
y260 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Some of the lower octaves out of tune, but about what i expected out of box. As mentioned a bit loud/shrill at times probably due to placement. I butchered Bertini

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Well it sounds like it's going to be a wonderful piano when its tuned. It sounds pretty good since it has arrived straight from the crate! Perhaps the room is a little echoey, but you will work that out in time.It makes me kind of envious! Best wishes again on your wonderful piano.At last it has arrived !!!

Congratulations. It will sound wonderful once tuned. Like night and day I'm sure. After all that wait...just a little longer.

Seiler ED-168
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
removing a key from a grand
by johnfin - 01/23/22 03:27 PM
Dexibel H10, está infravalorado este piano?
by Franlober - 01/23/22 02:33 PM
time signatures - every day (non musical) life example?
by ShowerCurtain465 - 01/23/22 12:04 PM
One sour bass note
by benz-tech - 01/23/22 11:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,316
Posts3,163,400
Members104,130
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission