2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (dima5222, Georg Z., Charles Cohen, Calavera, AprilE, 14 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
rocdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Since getting my acoustic upright I had stopped touching my Arius altogether, so today I have finally sent it to a new owner. I would like to get a digital though, just for the rare situation I find myself needing quiet practice (as of now the U1 downstairs does not bother the 3 year old sleeping upstairs, but there may be situations when I still want a silent option), and most importantly, I would like the option to take the keyboard with me if I'm away on a few days car trip.
So, I have been searching extensively here, but as with everything my precise requirements aren't exactly covered in previous threads. What I would like is something under 1k (I sold the Arius for 850 so I want to match that roughly if I can) with the best key action I can find. One of the reasons I was never using the Arius, in spite of it sitting right next to me in the office, was that compared to the acoustic that keyboard was not really pleasant to play on any more. So, is there something in this price range that would actually be a step up? If not, at least NOT a step down? I have been looking at the Roland FP-30x, Yamaha p-125, Kawai ES 110, Yamaha DGX-670, Casio Privia Px-S1100, and the Korg D1 (the last one in case everything else is so much better than the competitors that it would make me reluctantly forego the built-in speakers). I could only find a couple of these at my local Guitar Center, and they were a bit beat up and poorly placed. But I played the P-125, the FP-30x, and the Privia PX-S1000 (predecessor to the 1100). Very hard to get a good idea, but I went back and forth between the FP-30X and the P-125, having a hard time deciding which I like more - very hard to do given that the FP-30X had to be played in its location high up on the wall.... I did not really like the Casio, felt toy-like.
Any thoughts on this? Is any of the pianos on this list standing out in terms of action? Sound would be second criterion, but I'm OK with less than great, I have the acoustic for when I want to full bodied realistic thing.
Much appreciated!

Enjoying the journey and the delicious music.
U1
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
I think the ES110 is probably the best among these (I haven't played the D1, it is also 2-sensor). But I'm not sure you'll find one remotely close to the U1 in this price range. Maybe the FP90X or ES920. The Yamaha P have a different key action force curve.

> that it would make me reluctantly forego the built-in speakers

Built-in speakers are convenient, but also leave a lot to be desired, also in midrange slabs. I understand iloud micro monitors are better than any speakers built into a slab, and one can get better ones.

R
rocdoc Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by _sem_
I think the ES110 is probably the best among these (I haven't played the D1, it is also 2-sensor). But I'm not sure you'll find one remotely close to the U1 in this price range. Maybe the FP90X or ES920. The Yamaha P have a different key action force curve.

> that it would make me reluctantly forego the built-in speakers

Built-in speakers are convenient, but also leave a lot to be desired, also in midrange slabs. I understand iloud micro monitors are better than any speakers built into a slab, and one can get better ones.

Thank you kindly. To clarify, I’m not looking for something that would come close to the U1 in this price range, that would be impossible. In fact I got the U1 after I went to the store and tested digitals from the NU1x and up and didn’t even find those comparable!
I need to find a ES110 to test. And a D1.
I also agree completely with the built in speakers weakness. It’s just for whenever I may actually travel with it. Otherwise they are indeed pretty terrible. I have a pair of Kef monitors I no longer use that would likely be in a different league, if I decide to go that way. But I would do that only if I gain things like a better action, better sampling etc.

Last edited by rocdoc; 10/07/21 06:04 PM.

Enjoying the journey and the delicious music.
U1

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Allegretto from Granados Escenas Romanticas Fingering
by luthierone - 12/03/21 11:57 PM
Ohio Valley Gem
by Jayekanan - 12/03/21 11:10 PM
For those who play David Nevue
by ShiroKuro - 12/03/21 10:39 PM
Tone of a Fazioli Piano and How to Voice it?
by PianoLover123 - 12/03/21 06:07 PM
Kawai CN29 or CN39
by Teresaw - 12/03/21 02:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,377
Posts3,150,505
Members103,510
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission