2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Is this successful? An A4 manuscript trimmed down to below the size of your tablet? (there's always a bezel, and a margin thrown in).
I've managed to put one up on Amazon Kindle for use in this way, and it may prove useful to some if not to me. An extra large tablet? How many have such?
And since I can't display any music on the "look inside" feature, I've displayed the first page as the cover.

It'd be fun to hear the responses. I'm expecting a little scorn. If you'd like to see what I've attempted, here it is. Not tryin' to sell, no need
.Moz

Last edited by peterws; 10/04/21 10:04 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I am using mobile sheets pro, does what you did really well.

https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Learux
I am using mobile sheets pro, does what you did really well.

https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/
That's better than mine. I'll need to look into this. .

"[Linked Image]"
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Also try looking at musicreader.net

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
100%. I use a Pixel Slate (Chromebook) tablet with Mobilesheets Pro.

The tablet itself is something like 12.4", which is between 1-2" smaller than a US letter sheet in either direction.

However, using Mobilesheets to crop out the margins and thus magnify the images, most of my sheet music renders fairly close in size, easily enough to not be noticeable.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Mobilesheets Pro is really great, it lets you crop every page individually, select whether they anchor to the top, bottom or middle with letterboxing, and even has auto-crop features.

If having the largest possible sheet music is a priority, then maybe the larger 12.9" iPad Pro, a surface tablet, or a PC touchscreen monitor would be in order.

Peterws, since you mentioned A4, the iPad is close to 4:3, which is like US letter size. Most Android tablets are widescreen 16:9 or wider, which may actually work out better for the longer pages you have there, even if the actual screen surface area isn't as large as the iPad's.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I am looking into Mobile sheets pro and boox max lumi.

Most likely I'll wait for the next generation before biting. The price is a bit of an issue at $879.

I am using MSP with my MS surface 3. It works really well.

The manual is intimidating but you don't need to read it to use it.

With that being said, the program has a lot of options, some of them very useful.

Last edited by Learux; 10/04/21 12:59 PM.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I use Musescore and an iPad. I have my own ideas about how the score should look like, so I usually copy the score of my pieces to Musescore, export them as pdf, and then make books of the pieces with a lovely cover. My iPad is just an ordinary one, we did not think it was worth it to buy a big one. It all works very smoothly and fine, but eventually I will need to buy a page turner.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
K
K
I don't like looking at scores on a screen if I'm going to be practicing for long periods of time.

I like to print out music that I download on pastel card stock, e.g. baby blue most often. Or maybe spearmint green depending on the color temperature of the room lighting. I'd even use shades of orange when the light through the windows is right.

For classical I buy the hard cover Henle Urtext. Their paper is slightly tinted as well to make it easier on the eyes. It's still not as good as picking the right color card stock, though.

Last edited by kevin5540; 10/04/21 02:41 PM.
A
A
Originally Posted by peterws
Is this successful? An A4 manuscript trimmed down to below the size of your tablet? (there's always a bezel, and a margin thrown in).
I've managed to put one up on Amazon Kindle for use in this way, and it may prove useful to some if not to me. An extra large tablet? How many have such?
And since I can't display any music on the "look inside" feature, I've displayed the first page as the cover.

It'd be fun to hear the responses. I'm expecting a little scorn. If you'd like to see what I've attempted, here it is. Not tryin' to sell, no need
.Moz

Most score readers applications (e.g., ForScore, PiaScore, Mobilesheets) support some sort of margin adjustment or cropping that can be applied to the whole score or just to individual pages. If the app does not support this functionality, you can always use a PDF editor to adjust the margins before importing the score into the reader. I use ForScore on an iPad Pro (12.9") and the size of the music notes in a cropped sheet is virtually the same as in the uncropped A4 original. An alternative option for devices with smaller screens is to adjust the margins, cut the music sheet in half and view the result as separate sheets in landscape mode. Again, this can be done using an external PDF editor or with an app that supports this feature (e.g. ForScore).

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. I'm attempting to publish some music on Kindle (Amazon) as a platform. I attempted this a couple of years back, and it was successful. Unfortunately, things ahve changed since then, and the "Look Inside" feature wouldn't work for music now unless it was 10 or more pages long. Might not even work then, but the finished scores need to look ok.
I can trim any photo, which a page of piano music happily becomes when it is jpg'd.
So I'll find out tonight if my latest attempt is successful.
Someone actually bought 3 or 4 pages of my first upload (Mozart's 23rd, Intro for piano) on Kindle Unlimited which generally seems to be shifting more books by page-reads than by actually selling copies of them.

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by acdp
I use ForScore on an iPad Pro (12.9") and the size of the music notes in a cropped sheet is virtually the same as in the uncropped A4 original.
And if you not only crop the useless margins as much as possible, and make a small additional optimization, then the notes on the screen of the 12.9‑inch iPad will be even slightly larger than on a standard sheet of A4 paper:
[Linked Image]
Full size

The 12.9-inch iPad is still closest to ideal.

P
P
I am looking into Mobile sheets pro and boox max lumi.
Thanks for the heads up. I did not know that this device existed nor that a special version of MobileSheets Pro (which I'm using for years now) was made for E-Ink Android tablets.
It looks ideal albeit a bit pricey...
I'm looking for a device to replace my old 9.8" Android tablet, preferably with a slightly bigger screen and probably E-Ink.

What about the Onyx Boox Note Air, is the screen too small? It is way cheaper though...

August Förster upright (sold). Kawai ES8 (sold). Kawai NV5S.
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by 9190

The boox max lumi and mobilesheets will be far superior over the ipad displaying sheet music.

The biggest benefit no eyestrain, not having to use an apple product is another one.

Last edited by Learux; 10/05/21 09:36 PM.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by 9190

The boox max lumi and mobilesheets will be far superior over the ipad displaying sheet music.

The biggest benefit no eyestrain, not having to use an apple product is another one.
You say will be so are you actually using these?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Perhaps. It even has a backlit screen (and I, in principle, do not consider devices without a screen backlight). But this is too niche and sparsely distributed device, if anything happens. There is an iPad on every corner, as well as accessories for it, such as a stylus. And the iPad also has a color screen, which is very convenient for visual work with annotations. Boox max lumi also costs the same as the iPad Pro, offering incomparably less capabilities for other tasks. Too expensive for an ordinary PDF reader, and even then, monochrome and with a annoyingly slow screen.

Regarding eyestrain. Personally, I don't experience any eyestrain even during many hours of work on an iPad. Moreover, I once had to work again a little bit on paper sheet music under a lamp, and I was surprised at the greater discomfort, in particular, I felt a pain in my eyes. I don't experience anything like this with the iPad, which is very comfortable and pleasant for me to work with.

"not having to use an apple product is another benefit."
For me, this is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage, since I am not subject to religious wars, and I am neither a fan nor a hater of any of the brands. I just buy what suits me best. It's much easier to live this way.

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by kevin5540
I don't like looking at scores on a screen if I'm going to be practicing for long periods of time.

I like to print out music that I download on pastel card stock, e.g. baby blue most often. Or maybe spearmint green depending on the color temperature of the room lighting. I'd even use shades of orange when the light through the windows is right.

Me too. But you can convert the image easily enough into a decent paper copy.

"[Linked Image]"
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I am currently using a MS surface 3. Most likely will go ereader when ready.

Here is mobile sheets pro in action on an ereader

MSP on ereader

If you are interested here is the forum about MSP on ereader.

https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/showthread.php?tid=5285

I am not affiliated with this program at all, just an end user that believes he deserves more business.

Last edited by Learux; 10/06/21 11:13 AM.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Her shirt is awesome.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I am currently using a MS surface 3. Most likely will go ereader when ready.

Here is mobile sheets pro in action on an ereader

MSP on ereader

If you are interested here is the forum about MSP on ereader.

https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/showthread.php?tid=5285

I am not affiliated with this program at all, just an end user that believes he deserves more business.
It is still not clear if it is suitable for music. There was a question 8 months ago about this but no replies. Reading through another thread I wonder if there is likely to be an issue with a slow page turn for instance?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Colin look at my last post, it will show the ereader in action with Mobile sheets pro

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission