2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (cauldron, Alex C, Burkey, BobTB, Burkhard, Animisha, brennbaer, 7 invisible), 663 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
S
You know guys, I dont like to unnecessarily complicate my life. I either like something, or I dont.
I like semantics too though .......... 😂

A
A
Originally Posted by Dore
For people with a half pedal VST setup and pedals that support it, is that what is going on? Bear in mind, I'm asking about what the VST's are doing, not what a real piano would do....

Dore,

I guess you already understood that, if you want to build something serious, this is a wrong strategy. Most existing piano plugins either do not support half-pedaling, or keep their implementation secret, or provide half-built would-be tools for supporting it via velocity curves etc. Only a small number of plugins have a usable implementation: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275 and Synthogy ACD among those, and each of them has its own implementation of half-pedaling, depending on its specific architecture.

I think you should start with understanding the physical phenomena under the string damping, which is not as daunting task as it seems to be.

What is, actually, half-pedaling, re-pedaling, catch-pedaling etc. It's simply a partial reducing of the energy of the oscillating string(s) using some very soft felt pads. How the pianist applies the damper pedal is another question, which is related to his (her) art. The decca resonance is affected post-factum, after the string oscillation energy is reduced.

Given a sounding sample (samples), it is possible to partially reduce their energy according to some envelope changes. The parameters of the envelope changes should depend A) on the note, B) on the depth of the pedal press, and C) on the duration of the press. This is almost all you need to know to start some implementation. Forget about arduino: there exist a host of inexpensive pedals for this, of continuous and on-off type.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I think you misunderstand the purpose of the Arduino. I don't have a pedal or dp that supports continuous cc64. So I cannot experience half damping because I do not have the hardware. Short of buying a new dp or expensive equipment, I've decided to buy a Yamaha pedal and make a "pedal to midi" hardware controller using an Arduino as a microcontroller.

Point taken about the the physics of damper pedals though. I've already observed garritans behavior, and if it's one that people like, then I may like it too when I can actually control it with my foot. Ive written some pseudocode to mimic their behavior
. Not sure I can implement it in kontakt or sfz yet.

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
You can play it as a free VI along with my Fazioli F308 library HERE
Buy me a coffee if you like it.
D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by newer player
Thanks NP. That was exactly what I thought garritan was doing. Now to figure out how the envelope changes are implemented....

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think you misunderstand the purpose of the Arduino. I don't have a pedal or dp that supports continuous cc64. So I cannot experience half damping because I do not have the hardware.

So you're developing a virtual piano without actually having the hardware to play it?

Yamaha P-515
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by JoeT
So you're developing a virtual piano without actually having the hardware to play it?

With the arduino pedal he will have the hardware.

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
I think you misunderstand the purpose of the Arduino. I don't have a pedal or dp that supports continuous cc64. So I cannot experience half damping because I do not have the hardware. Short of buying a new dp or expensive equipment, I've decided to buy a Yamaha pedal and make a "pedal to midi" hardware controller using an Arduino as a microcontroller.-

These not ok?
https://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-pedal-controller
https://beatbars.com/en/expression-to-midi.html
https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I was thinking that this cannot be the first time anyone has had a need for a MIDI pedal. And sem found three commercial products to suit that need ... each the size of a thumb drive. Superb, eh?

Dore, Bechstein Digital is Kontakt and supports half pedal. That any help?

Adult beginner. Roland FP90X, Embertone Walker vst, etc.
D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by _sem_
I think you misunderstand the purpose of the Arduino. I don't have a pedal or dp that supports continuous cc64. So I cannot experience half damping because I do not have the hardware. Short of buying a new dp or expensive equipment, I've decided to buy a Yamaha pedal and make a "pedal to midi" hardware controller using an Arduino as a microcontroller.-

These not ok?
https://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-pedal-controller
https://beatbars.com/en/expression-to-midi.html
https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

Thanks. Those are helpful. But seeing as I already have Arduinos lying around doing nothing, and I can hack the arduino code to optimize it as I like, and its also another teaching opportunity to get my kids to help with their coding/hardware, I'm choosing the DIY avenue. Definitely if I hit a big roadblock, I'll probably purchase one of those.

I don't post that often, but if you've seen the work that I've done, you'll notice that I take a real DIY approach to everything. I have a goal to create great piano sample libraries investing mostly time rather than money. I could invest more money, but I get the fulfillment out of doing it myself. More than half of my microphones are hand built, and I built them especially for sampling pianos. I could buy more commercial libraries, but I want to build it myself. I want to see what I can achieve with almost nothing.

D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by MarkOfJohnson
Dore, Bechstein Digital is Kontakt and supports half pedal. That any help?

Hi Mark-

Since I don't own all of the libraries that support half pedal, anyone who can describe the actual behavior of their supported VST's is really helpful.

You'd have to use a DAW like I did to go through varying levels of CC64 on release and after release to see if there are differences.

I know that this is work, and I don't expect anyone to volunteer this help. There is no published open source code for this as far as I know, but if I can understand the behavior, I can attempt to script it. No guarantees on if I have the talent to write the script though.

In terms of Garritan, the curves that NP pointed me to basically confirmed what I thought. Here is the behavior as I see it:

On release,
if CC64 is 64-127, then it's a normal full sustain
if CC64 is 0-31, then it's a normal release
if CC64 is 32-63 (half pedal range), then the release time will vary depending on the value. Lower value is closer to normal release, higher value is closer to full sustain. Curve is described basically in NP's thread.

Furthermore, if the release happened when CC64 was in the half pedal range, and CC64 then changes:
if CC64 is 64-127, then keep the previous gain and continue with full sustain time
if CC64 is 0-31, then it's a normal release
if CC64 is 32-63 and value increased, do nothing
if CC64 is 32-63 and the value decreased, shorten sustain according to curve

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

With the arduino pedal he will have the hardware.

A Yamaha PF85 is enough to develop a virtual piano instrument? With no action remotely close to any current day piano controller? Is it doing more than 8 steps of velocity sensor resolution?

Yamaha P-515
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
JoeT: I am sure that Dore appreciates your concern, but if you go back and read a bit about Dore expertise on creating sample libraries, you may understand that you are kind of questioning if Babe Ruth is fit for sports...

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
A Yamaha PF85 is enough to develop a virtual piano instrument?

Why not? You play a key and you get a MIDI event. It is a weighted and velocity sensitive action. Some people even say that they like the "legendary" Yamaha KX-88 master keyboard with basically the same action. (Plus aftertouch)

With no action remotely close to any current day piano controller?

From the player perspective the Yamaha Action Effect key action is remotely close to a basic level current day digital piano action.

Have you played it yourself?

Is it doing more than 8 steps of velocity sensor resolution?

I have a PF80. I can check some day. But probably yes. Why wouldn't it?

D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
So I just played around with CC64 in Noire, and the behavior is similar to Garritan, but with some notable changes:

* The half pedal range is much wider, not just 32-64
* Once the finger releases the key, the release time is set depending on CC64 value, there is no release time changes after the key is released.

On one hand, this probably makes Garritan better, because after key release you can still cut the release time fractionally if you're pedaling between 32-64. Noire will only respond again with a fast release when CC64 goes below 10. It also confirms to me that you probably cannot change the release time AFTER the release has been triggered by finger release (in Kontakt) - that was bugging me last night. On the other hand, it gives me hope that I can probably write a script or something like Noire's behavior.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some players, such as VI Labs U and Ravenscroft, allow to adjust the pedal velocity curve to make half pedaling effect configurable by user.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by VladK
Some players, such as VI Labs U and Ravenscroft, allow to adjust the pedal velocity curve to make half pedaling effect configurable by user.

More accurate statement would be that all 5 VI Labs pianos allow to set the minimum and maximum pedal velocity where the half pedal effect is triggered.
All Synthogy and VSL Synchron pianos also allow to set the half-pedal min/max velocity range.
I assume they all implement the linear velocity curve between min and max values.

I do not know any other sampled library that offers this option.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
D
Dore Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Vlad-

Does the half pedal velocity minimum setting have a boundary, or is it zero?
Does the half pedal velocity maximum setting have a boundary, or is it 127?

Most importantly, do you know what the default is?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,757
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission