2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (anotherscott, alexdavid, Andrew E., Albertan, BeeZee4, Abdol, Alex Hutor, Bd2021, 14 invisible), 1,276 guests, and 566 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Online Blank
P
I watched a presentation of an interview with Garrick Ohlsson, and I found it mostly enjoyable and on point. There's a relatively brief Q&A with the audience at the end, and I've queued the video up to the asking of the last question.

'I noticed that this piano is not actually warmed up.' The claim is made that it makes it sound and play properly. A further claim (outlandish I think) is made that Beethoven and Mozart wrote 'warm-ups' directly into their piano music ... and the guy then imitates the opening statement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

So, is priming your piano by getting it played-in right before a performance a thing? Ohlsson's response seemed equivocal.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
The piano should be kept in a stable temperature and humidity. Otherwise it may de-tune and other issues may occur.

I can imagine situations eg in a cold church where you really need to warm up the environment to make it enjoyable to the public and performer. But it's taking the risk with the piano.

I think normally warming-up applies to the performer, not to the piano. Top performers often play some scale-like runs to warm up. In old times, there often was no time planned in for that, so the performer had to warm up in front of the public. Therefore they created introductions, that sounded nice but concealed scales and other practice stuff.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
OP Online Blank
P
If you didn't watch the 1 1/2 mins. of video first, there's no point responding.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by parapiano
If you didn't watch the 1 1/2 mins. of video first, there's no point responding.
I did watch these 90 seconds and they were a complete waste of my time.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha

What was the conclusion? You are warming up the pianist at the same time, so therefore no objective conclusion. Ho hum.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Imagine if great pianists hired other people to warm up the piano before the concert and the pride in saying: I warmed up the piano for Martha Argerich! With elbows!

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
What was the conclusion?

There was no conclusion, just an introduction explaining the excellence of the pianist. Which I do not doubt, but which I am not interested in either.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've queued the video up to the asking of the last question.

I suspect this didn't work, at least not on my pc.

So probably this these 1 1/2 mins. are somewhere towards the end...

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
What was the conclusion?

There was no conclusion, just an introduction explaining the excellence of the pianist. Which I do not doubt, but which I am not interested in either.

Yes, there was no objective conclusion. In fact I think Ohlsson may have been humoring the questioner

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
I never noticed any change of sound in my piano during playing. Another fuzzy theory ?

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I recommend that all pianists warm up their ears before starting their practice session. No, not by sticking your head into the piano while your cat plays tone clusters col pugno (or more accurately, col paws), but by using hand-warmers (the ones skiers use) on the pinnae for 4:33 exactly - in perfect silence, of course.

Then, they'll realize that all the wrong notes they hear from their instrument is not the instrument's fault. A bad workman blames his tools, but a good pianist blames his ears.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
P
OP Online Blank
P
Animisha wrote:
and subsequently wrote

I've queued the video up to the asking of the last question.

I suspect this didn't work, at least not on my pc.

So probably this these 1 1/2 mins. are somewhere towards the end...

So ... you watched it, and then an hour later decided you hadn't watched it after all? Roger that.

Just to clear up confusion, I know the question was absurd. And yet I thought that maybe there was a .1% chance this was a thing I hadn't heard of. Even the idea is bogus, and I could sense, as another member suggested, that Ohlsson was humoring the man ... who really did say 'duh-duh-duh DAH' to illustrate his claim about pianos needing warning up.

After months, I have yet to see an interesting or beneficial thread here or noticed that any members are actually interested in musical structures and piano technique. I guess it's way easier to humor (as Ohlsson did) the poor souls who can sight-read Beethoven sonatas but want to improve their sight-reading or the ones claiming they Bach inventions after three months and have some vague injury that's not described well and probably not related to anything they could have done.

B
B
After months, I have yet to see an interesting or beneficial thread here or noticed that any members are actually interested in musical structures and piano technique.

Which begs the question, "after months" - why are you still here, if nothing here remotely interests (or humor) you?

And if you want to discuss esoteric stuff, why don't you start a thread on "Discussing decadophonic structures in contemporary music" or "Comparing the use of double octaves and contrary sixths from Liszt to Rachmaninov" (or something similar) rather than something absurd like 'Do you warm up your piano?' (not to mention "attractive pianists"), which invites replies that offend your sensibilities?

I guess it's way easier to humor (as Ohlsson did) the poor souls who can sight-read Beethoven sonatas but want to improve their sight-reading or the ones claiming they Bach inventions after three months and have some vague injury that's not described well and probably not related to anything they could have done.
Indeed it is, just as it's way easier to criticize others for failing to live up to your exalted standards than it is to start a meaningful discussion.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

Can't see the video. Need to prove first I'm not a robot which leads to captcha's that lead nowhere anyway. Thanks.

Your question is in the header and it seemed clear enough.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I don't know about warming up the piano - but my physiotherapist recommends warming up the hands, or more specifically, working out the joints, as follows. Clasp the hands together with the fingers interlinked; imagine a bar of soap between the palms; then rub the palms on the soap, with a circular motion.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Liszt Un Sospiro fingering, score
by Jim P - 10/19/21 07:54 PM
Corrosion on strings
by Skeetcando - 10/19/21 07:10 PM
Chopin Competition
by pablobear - 10/19/21 04:04 PM
Chopin concerto sheet music editions
by PianoEntropy - 10/19/21 03:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,662
Posts3,140,759
Members103,059
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission