2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3159827 09/27/21 09:35 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hello Fellow Teachers:

I have been a Vocal Teacher for 30+ (Musical Theater) years, as well as a Professional Performer. I even have several students who have gone on to be Broadway Performers.
I also have been playing the piano since I was 10yo - I am 65yo now.

I have never taught piano but I have a neighbor who is trying to learn how to play the piano.
He is basically teaching himself.

I offered to assist/help him.

Do any piano teachers have suggestions for a good, Motivating Adult Piano Book that I could use.

Are there books on assisting teachers on assisting adult beginner piano students?

Thank You in Advance for any help, suggestions.
Brdwyguy

1961-1964: Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1992-2021: Schomacker B (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
There are books but essentially it is a losing battle which will take four months to unfold. Here's why: If he was a serious piano student, he would have sought a piano teacher years ago. He wants to toy around with the idea of piano lessons. I don't doubt your skills. I doubt this student would have responded to your advertisement in a paper; it's just because you are neighbours and got to talking that he may attempt a lesson. I would cease and desist and focus on getting a voice student. The way to exit is to say you were talking with an amazing piano teacher who lives nearby and have decided to bow out in favour of that piano teacher, who seems intent on helping him, because you've reconsidered your skill set (just be humble) and it doesn't match the job at hand.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi Joey
I have no personal experience, but my teacher does, and her experience matches the negative expected results from CandyWoman

If you take this on, don’t be disappointed if the student just takes a couple of lessons and disappears. It won’t bd you 😊

B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Candy
You are totally misreading this!

The neighbor is my friend.
and I OFFERED to give him assistance if he wanted.
HE DID NOT, I repeat did not ask me, I offered.

brdwyguy

THANK YOU DOGPERSON!

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by brdwyguy
Candy
You are totally misreading this!

The neighbor is my friend.
and I OFFERED to give him assistance if he wanted.
HE DID NOT, I repeat did not ask me, I offered.

brdwyguy

THANK YOU DOGPERSON!

Joey
There are many standing threads in the ABF regarding method books

I would ask there and review the thread comments

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have the student take the first step- they must contact me. (My studio is very full) and I want them to make the effort.

I have had good success with an adult vocalist, and a teen cellist (cello player) with Alfred Premier Piano Express. I can fly through when they show understanding of a concept. I do have them write the Unit Review pages, because writing helps show understanding.

The vocalist can play ok, but does not know why things are. She has a good ear. The cello player is working on reading two hands together on the grand staff, and is zipping along quite well once he got the note reading on the treble down pretty well.

Learning as I teach.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
It's precisely because you offered to help that I believe the whole thing will come crashing down within four months. You have asked seasoned piano teachers for advice. Today, due largely to the internet, people disbelieve the advice of experts. In fact, they attempt discrediting them at every turn. I have taught for twenty-five years and adult beginners are very difficult to teach. You are coming at it fresh, which has some advantages. But do you believe your results will be better than that of seasoned piano teachers? Is this something you should really spend time on when you have had so much success in your chosen area? I'm saying life is short and you can help the world the best by sticking to your vocal teaching. Congratulations on your success in that area! I teach only my niece singing --I have two years' vocal training and have sung publicly-- and know that you have special talents.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Broadway guy, of course you can do this, and you should. It will be rewarding for both of you. Pick up a copy of any adult beginner method book. Alfred, Bastien, Hal Leonard, Faber, this list goes on. They are all ok, and you can supplement them with material your friend already is working on. Don't bother with a book on piano pedagogy, you'll find your own way.

Check back with us in a few months if you need either guidance or a pep talk.

Cheers,
Peter

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
brdwyguy, Good of you to make this offer, and I hope you and your friend have fun with it. You may be able to save him from some problems, whether or not he pursues the piano very far. (Not a piano teacher but appreciate those who are)

1989 Baldwin R
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thank You ALL for the Advice!
brdwyguy

Q
Q
Hi brdwyguy, I started teaching this year and currently have two adult beginner students. I love teaching them! Maybe I just lucked out, but my adult students are curious, ask lots of good questions, practice when their schedules allow, and are very determined. Both are using the Faber All in One book, which I recommend. I also recommend the many supplementary Faber books--popular, jazz, easy classical arrangements--that go along with the different levels. There's plenty of repertoire in the Faber library to choose from. I also really like the Succeeding with the Masters Festival Collection books for supplementary rep. The easiest book in that series is the Prep book. The student would need to be able to play music with both hands together before moving into those books, however. Good luck!

T
T
If your friend already has some musical experience and is interested in classical style, I think the John Thompson Adult books are good. If they have no experience at all and are not offended by using a children's book, then John Thompson's Easiest is a good choice. Old-fashioned approach, but very solid introductory teaching.

Good luck to you both!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission